Why is Earth called Earth?

The other planets in our solar system are named for the classical gods of ancient Rome or Greece. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Uranus, their ancestors, and then Pluto.

So how did we get stuck with EARTH?

Sounds so common. Does anyone know? What should we be called if we could choose an ancient name?

I'd go with Gaia.
That's religious poop.

The reason the scientists of the ancient world called us earth is because when they went travelling afar, ships were the travel system of choice, and when they got where they were going again, they had to change from sea legs to walking on dirt, that earthy substance.

Surely, the scientists who named earth Earth had a sense of humor. You should, too.
I'm not at all sure where you're coming from, B. I'm sure you'll find some way to criticize an attempt to have a conversation without stabbing anyone.
Noticing your lack of a sense of humor is "stabbing," and disagreeing on naming the earth after a nekkid religious diety of yore is attempting to engage in a conversation in which you would rename the earth in the name of female amazonian power rather than the model of modesty and compliance expected of our nation's mothers is somehow unworthy to be heard? You go, girl! :rolleyes:
woman-looking-suspicious-closeup-portrait-skeptical-young-some-disgust-her-face-mixed-disapproval-isolated-37974090.jpg

The other planets in our solar system are named for the classical gods of ancient Rome or Greece. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Uranus, their ancestors, and then Pluto.

Sounds so common. Does anyone know? What should we be called if we could choose an ancient name?

I'd go with Gaia.
Dirt.

I'd go with Gaia.
The Greeks/Romans didn't think of Earth as a planet, and certainly didn't compare it to the lights in the sky they were making gods.

I'd go with Gaia.
The Greeks/Romans didn't think of Earth as a planet, and certainly didn't compare it to the lights in the sky they were making gods.
Good point. Perspective is everything.

I'd go with Gaia.
In science. In several modern Romance languages, terra (or French terre) is the name of planet Earth. Following post-classical Latin astronomical terminology, Earth is sometimes referred to as "Terra".

I'd go with Gaia.
That's religious poop.

The reason the scientists of the ancient world called us earth is because when they went travelling afar, ships were the travel system of choice, and when they got where they were going again, they had to change from sea legs to walking on dirt, that earthy substance.

Surely, the scientists who named earth Earth had a sense of humor. You should, too.
I'm not at all sure where you're coming from, B. I'm sure you'll find some way to criticize an attempt to have a conversation without stabbing anyone.
Noticing your lack of a sense of humor is "stabbing," and disagreeing on naming the earth after a nekkid religious diety of yore is attempting to engage in a conversation in which you would rename the earth in the name of female amazonian power rather than the model of modesty and compliance expected of our nation's mothers is somehow unworthy to be heard? You go, girl! :rolleyes:
You mean like her, B?
71vi%2Bg-2bVL._SY450_.jpg
Ms. Old Lady, I did not mean to make you feel bad. I'm sorry.

No, when I looked up Gaia, the explanation included a nude portrayal of her. I apologize for insulting you. Y'all call the world whatever you like. It's "Earth" to me.

I'd go with Gaia.
That's religious poop.

You mean like her, B?

No, when I looked up Gaia, the explanation included a nude portrayal of her. I apologize for insulting you. Y'all call the world whatever you like. It's "Earth" to me.
Thank you, B. I was just chatting. Just a stray thought, a little game like "what is the first thing you'd buy if you won the Lotto?" There is no reason for anyone to be concerned. So I'll take down the offensive shots.

That's religious poop.

You mean like her, B?

Thank you, B. I was just chatting. Just a stray thought, a little game like "what is the first thing you'd buy if you won the Lotto?" There is no reason for anyone to be concerned. So I'll take down the offensive shots.
A financial adviser to help you set up a LLC.

I have my own theory about some of the old names. Like the ancient city of Ur. The first big city to evolve in Mesopotamia. Well, people congregated there and it grew and grew, but no one thought about giving it a name because there weren't a lot of other places sending them mail. Then when people began to travel outside the bounds and met folks from foreign lands, and were asked where they came from, the people pointed back in the general direction from which they came and said "Errrrr......"
And hence Ur was named.
I've been there.

I have my own theory about some of the old names. Like the ancient city of Ur. The first big city to evolve in Mesopotamia. Well, people congregated there and it grew and grew, but no one thought about giving it a name because there weren't a lot of other places sending them mail. Then when people began to travel outside the bounds and met folks from foreign lands, and were asked where they came from, the people pointed back in the general direction from which they came and said "Errrrr......"
And hence Ur was named.
I've been there.
No kidding? What is it like?

And hence Ur was named.
LOL!

I'd go with Gaia.

Unlike the other planets in the Solar System, in English, Earth does not directly share a name with an ancient Roman deity. The name Earth derives from the eighth century Anglo-Saxon word erda, which means ground or soil. It became eorthe later, and then erthe in Middle English.
Earth in culture - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Earth_in_culture

And hence Ur was named.
I've been there.
Me, too!

ziggurat of ur.jpg

I'd go with Gaia.

here let me google that for you,,,

How Did Earth Get Its Name?

you not knowing how to google explains your many ignorant posts and comments,,,
The answer is, we don't know.
Thanks, Einstein. Tells me a lot.
The answer is, GOD called it that -- many thousands of years ago. Same reason we are called, "Man"

I'd go with Gaia.

because it made mostly of dirt which is aka earth

And hence Ur was named.
I've been there.
Me, too!

View attachment 292484
Too cool. They sure were good builders.

And hence Ur was named.
I've been there.
Me, too!

View attachment 292484
Too cool. They sure were good builders.
Indeed, but not all of that is original. It was restored twice.

Forum List

Back