Why is Earth called Earth?

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
The other planets in our solar system are named for the classical gods of ancient Rome or Greece. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Uranus, their ancestors, and then Pluto.

So how did we get stuck with EARTH?

Sounds so common. Does anyone know? What should we be called if we could choose an ancient name?

I'd go with Gaia.

The other planets in our solar system are named for the classical gods of ancient Rome or Greece. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Uranus, their ancestors, and then Pluto.

Sounds so common. Does anyone know? What should we be called if we could choose an ancient name?

I'd go with Gaia.

here let me google that for you,,,

How Did Earth Get Its Name?

you not knowing how to google explains your many ignorant posts and comments,,,

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

I'd go with Gaia.

The answer is, we don't know.
Thanks, Einstein. Tells me a lot.

I'd go with Gaia.

Try this...

Adam/Adamah

I have my own theory about some of the old names. Like the ancient city of Ur. The first big city to evolve in Mesopotamia. Well, people congregated there and it grew and grew, but no one thought about giving it a name because there weren't a lot of other places sending them mail. Then when people began to travel outside the bounds and met folks from foreign lands, and were asked where they came from, the people pointed back in the general direction from which they came and said "Errrrr......"
And hence Ur was named.

I'd go with Gaia.

The answer is because a man once named it that. Good luck getting everyone to call it anything else.

I'd go with Gaia.

Try this...

Adam/Adamah
Now that's more like it, NC. Thanks so much and it makes sense. But I don't think I'd want to name our planet Adam.

More reference to the Mother there, too, although she is not named.

'How did the Earth get its name?'

"The name "Earth" is derived from both English and German words, 'eor(th)e/ertha' and 'erde', respectively, which mean ground. But, the handle's creator is unknown. One interesting fact about its name: Earth is the only planet that wasn't named after a Greek or Roman god or goddess.'

'How Did Earth Get Its Name? | Live Science

How Did Earth Get Its Name? | Live Science

I have my own theory about some of the old names. Like the ancient city of Ur. The first big city to evolve in Mesopotamia. Well, people congregated there and it grew and grew, but no one thought about giving it a name because there weren't a lot of other places sending them mail. Then when people began to travel outside the bounds and met folks from foreign lands, and were asked where they came from, the people pointed back in the general direction from which they came and said "Errrrr......"
And hence Ur was named.

Ur is a Scythian word which means Lord.

I'd go with Gaia.

The answer is because a man once named it that. Good luck getting everyone to call it anything else.
Well, watch out; I'm going to rename it right after I get done renaming Thanksgiving.

I'd go with Gaia.
That's religious poop.

The reason the scientists of the ancient world called us earth is because when they went travelling afar, ships were the travel system of choice, and when they got where they were going again, they had to change from sea legs to walking on dirt, that earthy substance.

Surely, the scientists who named earth Earth had a sense of humor. You should, too.

And hence Ur was named.

Ur is a Scythian word which means Lord.
Huh. Why would people name a city Lord? Musta been easier than changing the name every time a ruler died. Or do you think they were talking about THAT "Lord?" I didn't know they were Abrahamic.

Huh. Why would people name a city Lord? Musta been easier than changing the name every time a ruler died. Or do you think they were talking about THAT "Lord?" I didn't know they were Abrahamic.

Don't even get me started, OL. lolol.

Linguistics are kind of a pet peeve of mine.

I'd go with Gaia.
That's religious poop.

The reason the scientists of the ancient world called us earth is because when they went travelling afar, ships were the travel system of choice, and when they got where they were going again, they had to change from sea legs to walking on dirt, that earthy substance.

Surely, the scientists who named earth Earth had a sense of humor. You should, too.
I'm not at all sure where you're coming from, B. I'm sure you'll find some way to criticize an attempt to have a conversation without stabbing anyone.

Don't even get me started, OL. lolol.

Linguistics are kind of a pet peeve of mine.
Oh, please, NC, do get started. You know a lot of cool stuff.

Darling, Google didn't answer it.

Nor will it. You have to know precisely what you're looking for in order to answer questions like yours. That was a great question, btw. The one about about Earth. Entire civilizations rest their belief systems on mistranslations.

Probably because bush and tree were already taken. The name earth was already given to the ground that someone stood on so came to mean the planet as a whole. The Japanese word for our planet is Chikyuu.
I could give you many examples of different languages. All use their version of the ground we stand on.

Oh, please, NC, do get started. You know a lot of cool stuff.

Huh uh. Nope. My name's muffin, I dunno nuffin. I'm staying out of this one. I did wanna touch on your question about Earth, though, just because it was a great question. Nobody ever asks about stuff like that.

Probably because bush and tree were already taken. The name earth was already given to the ground that someone stood on so came to mean the planet as a whole. The Japanese word for our planet is Chikyuu.
I could give you many examples of different languages. All use their version of the ground we stand on.
This makes perfect sense; a much much much much older word than the ones the astronomers used to name the other planets as they were discovered; much much much older than the gods whose names were used, even.
There is nothing more elemental than the earth we stand on.
Too bad it has such a plebian sounding name, but I suppose it would, having come from the oldest of times.
And for those reasons, I think Gaia is appropriate.

I'd go with Gaia.
That's religious poop.

I'm not at all sure where you're coming from, B. I'm sure you'll find some way to criticize an attempt to have a conversation without stabbing anyone.
Noticing your lack of a sense of humor is "stabbing," and disagreeing on naming the earth after a nekkid religious diety of yore is attempting to engage in a conversation in which you would rename the earth in the name of female amazonian power rather than the model of modesty and compliance expected of our nation's mothers is somehow unworthy to be heard? You go, girl! :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back