Why is Earth called Earth?

The other planets in our solar system are named for the classical gods of ancient Rome or Greece. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Uranus, their ancestors, and then Pluto.

So how did we get stuck with EARTH?

Sounds so common. Does anyone know? What should we be called if we could choose an ancient name?

I'd go with Gaia.

Gaia is a Titan name and if I remember is one of the first Titans...

Religious people prefer to stay away from the name Gaia but yet use other myth name for planets... Go figure...

I just wonder did they ever regret naming Uranus it name?

I looked it up and many sites seem clueless at to how the name of this planet came about...

How about instead of Earth or Gaia we call it Third Rock From the Sun?
Too long, Bruce, but a good thought.
Whatever would keep fifth grade boys awake during Science class if we didn't have Uranus?
Gaia is the Mother, First, Eldest. The only planet named for a female diety was Venus, and she was the sex kitten; things don't change much. According to The Golden Bough, the most ancient religion was worship of the Mother. It was a pretty bloody business, too--(no don't go there Bruce)--they systematically killed their king at the height of his strength and power to ensure they would not grow weak. The Mysteries were only open to the women.

The men finally had enough and cooked up their own religion led by a man and put the women in the kitchen. So of course Christianity, being full-on paternalistic, hates Gaia. The Egyptians had it right--they had Osiris and Isis. Both principles need to exist in order for us to function. But being humans, we find it hard to walk beside each other; one is always itching to lead.

Christians, Muslims, and Jews all enjoy a barefooted woman in the kitchen but a true follower of the way is enlightened enough to know all stories have a purpose...

Gaea also known in Roman circles Terra is a very important part in mythology and to forget the stories, well let say I am not your typical mind and believe we must honor the stories.

Name of this planet is English and German mixed if I am correct and that is how we have Earth.

I say call it old lady and be done with it...

The other planets in our solar system are named for the classical gods of ancient Rome or Greece. Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Uranus, their ancestors, and then Pluto.

Sounds so common. Does anyone know? What should we be called if we could choose an ancient name?

I'd go with Gaia.

That's one of those questions that's right up there in the three year old list like why is there air. Yet it proves that there definately is such a thing as a stupid question.

I never wonder why there is air but wonder why so many arrogant humans are allow to breath it...

Also looking up the name Gaia and remembering the name she is the Greek Titan that is mother Earth...

The issue you might run into is if people read and study Greek mythology and the name Gaea or Gaia they would discover the Titan committed incest in the stories during the creation of the Universe and our Solar System, so some might be offended by that...

I have also remembered the name Terra and it is the Roman equivalent of Gaea or Gaia, so why not Terra?
That's simply French for Earth.

Terra (mythology) - Wikipedia
Thank you, Bruce.

I'd go with Gaia.

That's one of those questions that's right up there in the three year old list like why is there air. Yet it proves that there definately is such a thing as a stupid question.
Well, I learned a few things and it didn't hurt anyone to have a chat without arguing.
When you can spell "definitately," I'll start worrying about what you consider stupid.

I'd go with Gaia.

here let me google that for you,,,

How Did Earth Get Its Name?

you not knowing how to google explains your many ignorant posts and comments,,,
She’s not the brightest lol

We live in

US= planet earth
Africa= planeet aarde
Bosnia= planetu Zemlju
Spain= planeta tierra
Catalonia= planeta terra
Estonia= planeedi maa
Philippines= planeta Earth
France= planète terre
Germany= Planet Erde
Italy= pianeta terra
Portugal= terra do planeta
Vietnam= hành tinh trái đất

I like the Vietnamese way to say it, "han tin trai dat", it sounds scientific...

We live in

US= planet earth
Africa= planeet aarde
Bosnia= planetu Zemlju
Spain= planeta tierra
Catalonia= planeta terra
Estonia= planeedi maa
Philippines= planeta Earth
France= planète terre
Germany= Planet Erde
Italy= pianeta terra
Portugal= terra do planeta
Vietnam= hành tinh trái đất

I like the Vietnamese way to say it, "han tin trai dat", it sounds scientific...
Planeedi maa

Ma

Gaia.

I'd go with Gaia.

The answer is really simple, actually. The "planets" were denoted separately to differentiate them from the fixed stars which did not move among the celestial ceiling. As the planets "wandered", they were seen to rule over and portend events here on Earth which was not seen as or even known to be yet another planet, but as ground, Earth, Terra, that under foot from which all things revolved. Because it was believed that these Wanderers, the Sun, Moon and other planetai governed or influenced events here on Earth, they were given the names of various deities, such as:

Sol
Surya
Luna
Selene
Jove and
Cronos

spiritual quest1.jpg

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back