Why is climate science political?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Saigon, May 13, 2012.

1. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    I don't see science as being a political issue.

Good governance should be about acting on accurate scientific data - not about distorting the truth, hiding from it, or pretending the facts are not what they are.

While I think the use of nuclear vs renewables is a political issue around the world, only in the US (and to a lesser extent, Australia) does climate change seem to be political.

The Conservative parties of the UK, France, Germany, Finland, Denmark, New Zealand and host of others ALL accept that human acitivty may be playing a role in climate change, and have developed policies to suit.

In many cases, this means nuclear.

But why do some Americans seem to think climate change is left wing conspiracy, when most conservatives around the world are saying the opposite?

2. starcraftzzz

starcraftzzz Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    Because republicans are idiots

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    (Highlighted by me)

See, this is the key point. The data "proving" Anthropogenic Climate Change/Global Warming/It's man's fault dammit" is NOT accurate data. There are tons of problems with the theory... and that's what it is... a theory, that Mankind is the prime mover behind every change in climate. It flies against basic logic, and the mechanisms chose to be hyped as the methodology in which it happens can be shown to be flawed by 8th grade Earth Science data. Their tools and models have been shown to be either accidentally or deliberately corrupted to find pre-chosen results and essentially discredited. Even normally trustworthy tools have discovered to have 'slipped' or deliberately altered to get the results.

The green movement is not scientific. It is a political movement to global ecofascism where an oligarchy of like minded Malthusian Luddites control what lives people can have in some arrogant vainglorious attempt of believing Man is all-powerful over the Earth and must 'save' it from us as well as 'save' ourselves from ourselves.

You will also notice that regardless of the outcome of the weather, it's AGW. Hot cold wet dry hail wind fire and frogs. It's all man's fault. This is not science. This is religion.

And why do the scientists persist? Three reasons: Money, Fear, Arrogance. Like a fire, take away any one of those elements and the movement dies because the science is not there.

Cue insane rebuttals in

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    big fat hunks of money is the only reason

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Because the IPCC is political.

Because "peer review" is political.

Because all of its "researchers" require continued funding from the political class.

Because all of its "solutions" are political.

6. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,676
    Money AND Control.

7. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,807
    I want to echo that its not science. There should be a provable hypothesis that leads to some type of predictable model. The results should mirror the observable climate. The Earth has generated periods of climate change before man was even here. No smoking gun with man as the trigger.

We have debunked about every thought brought here by the Faithers.

8. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,440
    many policies were drafted back in the 1990's and early 2000's when there was a much stronger circumstantial case for global warming and disasterous results. now that the evidence and time frames are not in favour of CAGW many countries are not going through with expensive mitigation commitments but they find it hard to back away from the actual rhetoric that they signed. anytime someone decides to be careful with their money they are called conservative, anytime someone is willing to spend other people's money on a harebrained scheme with no possibility of success they are called a liberal.

9. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Why is it political? Because it's about money. On the one hand you've got the green lobby, supported by green energy. On the other you've got the fossil fuels lobby. The fossil fuels lobby want their businesses to continue to thrive, and can provide some data to call climate change theory into disrepute. The green lobby have some data that may suggest human involvement in climate change, and the green energy industry wants that data to indicate that only curtailing the use of fossil fuels can save us from disaster.

As in all cases, follow the money.

10. Saigon

Saigon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    And you just kinda decided all this, right?

There is absolutely no evidence at all of any of this....I just laugh when I here people say research is political, I really do. (My wife is a PhD researcher)

I suspect at any moment we'll here the Illuminati are behind climate change research.