Why I’m a white, straight, male, Christian Liberal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
False assumption. Does poverty drive lack of education or does lack of education drive poverty? In social research it is called an arrow issue. I know which way the arrow points in this issue, do you
Kind of but no. Your college chances are driven by your parents income. But yes, after your parents couldn’t afford to send you to college now you don’t have money to send yours.. statistically in meaningful numbers. I know all you poor ass people climbed out of the gutter to go to Harvard but that isn’t what happens broadly. We need to level the field. Tilt it towards some and yes, away from others.

Your college chances are driven by your native ability. You think Leon from the hood with a 150 I.Q. is not going to College? In what universe? You seem like a decent guy but for christsakes use your brain. The smarter you are the more sought after you become by universities, employers, and all the rest.
So you’re argument is that smart people are born to rich people 3-1? That’s the college ratio.

Regulation drains 3 trillion dollars a years off of our GDP. Regulation is necessary, but it comes at a huge cost. Who should pay that cost in your opinion?
That’s a meaningless statistic. Regulation drains it where? It’s cheaper to dump sewage on your lawn. Is that a drain on GDP to require you to pay to remove your sewage to a treatment plant?? Come in.

Regulation cost money. That is a fact. Who pays? I cannot make this any simpler.
I showed you an example where crapping on your lawn cost less money than paying for sewage. Is your argument that crapping on your lawn is better for GDP? I can’t make it any simpler for you.
Is it your lawn?

Regulation drains 3 trillion dollars a years off of our GDP. Regulation is necessary, but it comes at a huge cost. Who should pay that cost in your opinion?
That’s a meaningless statistic. Regulation drains it where? It’s cheaper to dump sewage on your lawn. Is that a drain on GDP to require you to pay to remove your sewage to a treatment plant?? Come in.

Regulation cost money. That is a fact. Who pays? I cannot make this any simpler.
I showed you an example where crapping on your lawn cost less money than paying for sewage. Is your argument that crapping on your lawn is better for GDP? I can’t make it any simpler for you.
Is it your lawn?
I’m paying for sewage which actually is a regulation that drives GDP up not down. Queenie doesn’t believe in regulations and craps on the lawn to save money.

You want an education? Work for it. I did. You want healthcare? Ditto
If it’s about work how do you explain the fact that 78% or children in the top quintile of income families go to college but only 28% of the lowest income quintile? It’s not about working hard it’s about being born into a wealthy family. Yes you can find exceptions - it’s 28% not zero percent - but at the end of the day who your born to in this country determine your outcome more than how hard you work. Thats not American idealism.

Don't begrudge people who have been successful in life. They are successful almost always because of hard work, talent, and brains.

If you want good things in life take the necessary steps to make it happen. If you have nothing, if you are a failure, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I went to Graduate School. I paid every penny. I worked night shifts in a hospital to get through school. I pretty much didn't sleep for three years. As a result I had a good career and made good money. I worked for what I have.

Many have more than me. I say good for them. They were either smarter, hard harder, or had more talent than me. I do not begrudge them their success. Neither should you.
You skipped over my acknowledgement that there are always individuals who make it out but the statistics don’t lie. 28% of poor vs 78% of rich families go to college. That is a huge difference driven by your station in life not your effort. Surely you can see that?

I will help you out. The largest variable in determining poverty and lack of education is low I.Q. Period. It is not race, or gender, and anything else.

The data shows regardless of race those one standard deviation above the norm in I.Q. (116 or above) have over a 90% probability of obtaining at least a 4 year college degree. The odds of those folks living in poverty is virtually nil. And again, there is no statisically significant difference in race or gender. If you are smart in America you and educated and make a good living almost always. If you are not you likely will struggle.
Your success is moderately affect by your intelligence. It is an effect but environmental factors weigh much heavier.

See here: brains are 21% of your outcome and can only explain less than half of the outcome.

But a lot of other things also predict income. So, what’s the unique contribution of AFQT scores? More precisely, how much of the variability in income can they explain? Statisticians often answer this question by reporting a statistic called r-squared that varies from zero to one. In this analysis, zero means AFQT has no predictive power, while one would mean that someone’s income can be perfectly predicted by knowing their AFQT score. An r-squared of .5 would mean that half of the variation in income could be explained by knowing someone’s AFQT scores (or, less scientifically, half the time you can predict someone’s income by knowing how they did on the AFQT).

The data show that AFQT scores explain 21% of the variation in income between survey respondents. That translates to a correlation coefficient of .46.

Is that a large correlation? It depends upon your perspective. If your cup is half full, you can correctly point out that .46 rivals the largest observed correlations in social psychology, sociology, and other relevant fields. But if your cup is half empty, you’ll say that many things determine how much money people make, and smarts is only one of them.”

Several things here. 1. AFQT is not an I.Q. measure as the author states. 2. The strongest correlation the author can cite to predict future income happens to be an approximation of I.Q. in the AFQT.

Dude....you made my point for me. :D

Is I.Q. the sole variable in predicting future income and educational success? No, and I never remotely said that. However, is basic intelligence the strongest predictor of future income and education. Overwhelmingly yes.

God made each of us what we are. Government cannot fix stupid. All each of us can do is take responsibility to maximize our individual potential to the best of our ability.

Is it your lawn?
I’m paying for sewage which actually is a regulation that drives GDP up not down. Queenie doesn’t believe in regulations and craps on the lawn to save money.
No your not it’s not your yard

Regulation is necessary. But is costs a geat deal of money. Who pays?

False assumption. Does poverty drive lack of education or does lack of education drive poverty? In social research it is called an arrow issue. I know which way the arrow points in this issue, do you
Kind of but no. Your college chances are driven by your parents income. But yes, after your parents couldn’t afford to send you to college now you don’t have money to send yours.. statistically in meaningful numbers. I know all you poor ass people climbed out of the gutter to go to Harvard but that isn’t what happens broadly. We need to level the field. Tilt it towards some and yes, away from others.

Your college chances are driven by your native ability. You think Leon from the hood with a 150 I.Q. is not going to College? In what universe? You seem like a decent guy but for christsakes use your brain. The smarter you are the more sought after you become by universities, employers, and all the rest.
So you’re argument is that smart people are born to rich people 3-1? That’s the college ratio.

That question has been asked in social science for at least 60-70 years. Smart people tend to wealthier and better educated. Because they are smart are their kids more likely to be smart? Well yes. Is it enough to account for the difference you mention? Unknown. If you can definitively answer the question you'll make millions.

Yes, I’m a white, straight, male, Christian liberal and here is why I am liberal.

1. I believe a country should take care of its weakest members. A country cannot call itself civilized when its children, disabled, sick, and elderly are neglected. Period.

2. I believe healthcare is a right, not a privilege. Doesn’t mean Obamacare is the “end-all, be-all” but I have yet to hear an argument that "letting people die because they can't afford healthcare" is a better alternative. Hospitals treat emergencies even if victims can’t pay today, yet we won’t treat victims before they need emergency care unless they can afford it? How does that make sense?

3. I believe education should be affordable and accessible to everyone. It doesn't have to be free but 78% of kids from the highest income quintile attend college vs 28% from the lowest income quintile. Your parents wealth should not limit your educational attainment.

4. I don't believe your money should be taken from you and given to people who don't want to work. I have literally never encountered anyone who believes this. Ever. I just have a massive moral problem with a society where a handful of people possess all of the wealth. The top 1% own 30% of everything and the top 10% own 70% which is a historic imbalance. The richest 400 Americans own more than the bottom 150 million. Fair wages, lower housing costs, universal healthcare, affordable education, and the wealthy actually paying their share would go a long way toward alleviating this. Somehow believing that makes me a communist to righties.

5. I believe companies should be required to pay their employees a decent, livable wage. Somehow this is also interpreted as communism even though a livable wage was a capitalism reality 50 years ago for blue collar Americans. Neither minimum wages nor overall wages have kept up with inflation.

6. I am not anti-Christian. Like I said, I am a Christian. All I ask is that non-Christians be allowed to be non-Christians if they want. Let’s all do our own thing without the government playing favorites.

7. I don't believe LGBT people should have more rights than you. I just believe they should have the *same* rights as you.

8. I don't believe in open borders just because I don’t think the answer is a 1,000 mile 50 ft high concrete wall. I believe in compassion for qualified asylum seekers and a solution for DACA and Dreamers. I believe there are far more humane ways to handle undocumented immigration than our current practices (i.e., detaining children, splitting up families, ending DACA, etc). Illegal immigrants are not qualified for welfare already so stop with the scare tactics.

9. I don't believe the government should regulate everything, but since greed is such a driving force in our country, we NEED regulations to prevent cutting corners, environmental destruction, tainted food/water, unsafe materials in consumable goods or medical equipment, etc. Just kind of seems like common sense when the alternative to government regulation is companies having their bottom line drive safety decisions.

10. I believe systemic racism and misogyny in our society exists and needs to be addressed so we can start dismantling everything that's causing people to be marginalized.

11. I am not interested in coming after your guns. What I am interested in is sensible policies, which is mostly background checks and a provision for those in mental health crises.

12. I do believe there is a place for so-called political correctness which I prefer to think of as social politeness. If I call you Charles and you say you prefer to be called Chuck I’ll call you Chuck. It’s the polite thing to do.

So, I'm a liberal.

(I didn't write the above from scratch but majorly edited a similar post to reflect my personal beliefs. Please feel free to do the same with this post).
You certainly don't understand the natural pecking order.
Number one on this list: billionaires. Number two: everything exploitable to feed the billionaires' greed. Anything after that is unnecessary.

Now you understand conservatism, U.S. predatory capitalism, and the right-wingers' interpretation of what makes a devout Christian.

You want an education? Work for it. I did. You want healthcare? Ditto
If it’s about work how do you explain the fact that 78% or children in the top quintile of income families go to college but only 28% of the lowest income quintile? It’s not about working hard it’s about being born into a wealthy family. Yes you can find exceptions - it’s 28% not zero percent - but at the end of the day who your born to in this country determine your outcome more than how hard you work. Thats not American idealism.

Replace the word income with the word responsible and you have your answer.

Regulation is necessary. But is costs a geat deal of money. Who pays?
The consumer pays for everything. I already answered that but a payment increases GDP. It doesnt decrease GDP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back