Why I’m a white, straight, male, Christian Liberal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

citygator

Posting From Hunters Laptop
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2019
Charlotte
Yes, I’m a white, straight, male, Christian liberal and here is why I am liberal.

1. I believe a country should take care of its weakest members. A country cannot call itself civilized when its children, disabled, sick, and elderly are neglected. Period.

2. I believe healthcare is a right, not a privilege. Doesn’t mean Obamacare is the “end-all, be-all” but I have yet to hear an argument that "letting people die because they can't afford healthcare" is a better alternative. Hospitals treat emergencies even if victims can’t pay today, yet we won’t treat victims before they need emergency care unless they can afford it? How does that make sense?

3. I believe education should be affordable and accessible to everyone. It doesn't have to be free but 78% of kids from the highest income quintile attend college vs 28% from the lowest income quintile. Your parents wealth should not limit your educational attainment.

4. I don't believe your money should be taken from you and given to people who don't want to work. I have literally never encountered anyone who believes this. Ever. I just have a massive moral problem with a society where a handful of people possess all of the wealth. The top 1% own 30% of everything and the top 10% own 70% which is a historic imbalance. The richest 400 Americans own more than the bottom 150 million. Fair wages, lower housing costs, universal healthcare, affordable education, and the wealthy actually paying their share would go a long way toward alleviating this. Somehow believing that makes me a communist to righties.

5. I believe companies should be required to pay their employees a decent, livable wage. Somehow this is also interpreted as communism even though a livable wage was a capitalism reality 50 years ago for blue collar Americans. Neither minimum wages nor overall wages have kept up with inflation.

6. I am not anti-Christian. Like I said, I am a Christian. All I ask is that non-Christians be allowed to be non-Christians if they want. Let’s all do our own thing without the government playing favorites.

7. I don't believe LGBT people should have more rights than you. I just believe they should have the *same* rights as you.

8. I don't believe in open borders just because I don’t think the answer is a 1,000 mile 50 ft high concrete wall. I believe in compassion for qualified asylum seekers and a solution for DACA and Dreamers. I believe there are far more humane ways to handle undocumented immigration than our current practices (i.e., detaining children, splitting up families, ending DACA, etc). Illegal immigrants are not qualified for welfare already so stop with the scare tactics.

9. I don't believe the government should regulate everything, but since greed is such a driving force in our country, we NEED regulations to prevent cutting corners, environmental destruction, tainted food/water, unsafe materials in consumable goods or medical equipment, etc. Just kind of seems like common sense when the alternative to government regulation is companies having their bottom line drive safety decisions.

10. I believe systemic racism and misogyny in our society exists and needs to be addressed so we can start dismantling everything that's causing people to be marginalized.

11. I am not interested in coming after your guns. What I am interested in is sensible policies, which is mostly background checks and a provision for those in mental health crises.

12. I do believe there is a place for so-called political correctness which I prefer to think of as social politeness. If I call you Charles and you say you prefer to be called Chuck I’ll call you Chuck. It’s the polite thing to do.

So, I'm a liberal.

(I didn't write the above from scratch but majorly edited a similar post to reflect my personal beliefs. Please feel free to do the same with this post).

Yes, I’m a white, straight, male, Christian liberal and here is why I am liberal.

1. I believe a country should take care of its weakest members. A country cannot call itself civilized when its children, disabled, sick, and elderly are neglected. Period.

2. I believe healthcare is a right, not a privilege. Doesn’t mean Obamacare is the “end-all, be-all” but I have yet to hear an argument that "letting people die because they can't afford healthcare" is a better alternative. Hospitals treat emergencies even if victims can’t pay today, yet we won’t treat victims before they need emergency care unless they can afford it? How does that make sense?

3. I believe education should be affordable and accessible to everyone. It doesn't have to be free but 78% of kids from the highest income quintile attend college vs 28% from the lowest income quintile. Your parents wealth should not limit your educational attainment.

4. I don't believe your money should be taken from you and given to people who don't want to work. I have literally never encountered anyone who believes this. Ever. I just have a massive moral problem with a society where a handful of people possess all of the wealth. The top 1% own 30% of everything and the top 10% own 70% which is a historic imbalance. The richest 400 Americans own more than the bottom 150 million. Fair wages, lower housing costs, universal healthcare, affordable education, and the wealthy actually paying their share would go a long way toward alleviating this. Somehow believing that makes me a communist to righties.

5. I believe companies should be required to pay their employees a decent, livable wage. Somehow this is also interpreted as communism even though a livable wage was a capitalism reality 50 years ago for blue collar Americans. Neither minimum wages nor overall wages have kept up with inflation.

6. I am not anti-Christian. Like I said, I am a Christian. All I ask is that non-Christians be allowed to be non-Christians if they want. Let’s all do our own thing without the government playing favorites.

7. I don't believe LGBT people should have more rights than you. I just believe they should have the *same* rights as you.

8. I don't believe in open borders just because I don’t think the answer is a 1,000 mile 50 ft high concrete wall. I believe in compassion for qualified asylum seekers and a solution for DACA and Dreamers. I believe there are far more humane ways to handle undocumented immigration than our current practices (i.e., detaining children, splitting up families, ending DACA, etc). Illegal immigrants are not qualified for welfare already so stop with the scare tactics.

9. I don't believe the government should regulate everything, but since greed is such a driving force in our country, we NEED regulations to prevent cutting corners, environmental destruction, tainted food/water, unsafe materials in consumable goods or medical equipment, etc. Just kind of seems like common sense when the alternative to government regulation is companies having their bottom line drive safety decisions.

10. I believe systemic racism and misogyny in our society exists and needs to be addressed so we can start dismantling everything that's causing people to be marginalized.

11. I am not interested in coming after your guns. What I am interested in is sensible policies, which is mostly background checks and a provision for those in mental health crises.

12. I do believe there is a place for so-called political correctness which I prefer to think of as social politeness. If I call you Charles and you say you prefer to be called Chuck I’ll call you Chuck. It’s the polite thing to do.

So, I'm a liberal.

(I didn't write the above from scratch but majorly edited a similar post to reflect my personal beliefs. Please feel free to do the same with this post).
So when you run out of our money what do you plan on doing with us? Be honest

So, I'm a liberal.

They will eliminate those of us who they deem "redundant".

I'm a conservative because I believe people should take care of themselves and their families.

Churches and charities can take care of those who can't take care of themselves.

Government should butt out of the charity business.

So, I'm a liberal.

They will eliminate those of us who they deem "redundant".
Can you imagine what he’s going to do with anti big government ppl? He thinks we are killing people.. we must be stopped ha

I'm a conservative because I believe people should take care of themselves and their families.

Churches and charities can take care of those who can't take care of themselves.

You don't know much about the Bible nor do you practice it's teachings...

So, I'm a liberal.

This sounds to me "well I kinda think this, but then there's that.". Basically wishy washy crap. (No offense).

America was founded on individual liberty and responsibility. It is very simple. Your life is what you make it. if you're a loser and a fuck up look in the mirror. Pretty simple.

You have the right to your life, your freedom, and your pursuit of happiness. The government doesn't owe you shit but those three things and the promises made in the bill of rights and constitution.

You want an education? Work for it. I did. You want healthcare? Ditto. Make your life what you want it to be. No body owes you a damn thing. Once you understand that, and that the Government is not your friend but a necessary evil, you will fully have your head out of your ass and can have a fullfilled life. :thup:

Last edited:

So, I'm a liberal.

This sounds to me "well I kinda think this, but then there's that.". Basically wishy washy crap. (No offense).

America was founded on individual liberty and responsibility. It is very simple. Your life is what you make. It you're a loser and a fuck up look in the mirror. Pretty simple.

You have the right to your life, your freedom, and your pursuit of happiness. The government doesn't owe you shit but those three things and the promises made in the bill of rights and constitution.

You want an education? Work for it. I did. You want healthcare? Ditto. Make your life what you want it to be. No body owes you a damn thing. Once you understand that, and that the Government is not your friend but a necessary evil, you will fully have your head out of your ass and can have a fullfilled life. :thup:
Unless you were a slave which negated that whole freedom and liberty nonsense...

You don't know much about the Bible nor do you practice it's teachings...

You clearly didn't read this at all. No where does the Bible state welfare is the Government's responsibility. It states it is your personal responsibility.

Everything you do in life is your personal responsibility. That is what this Country was founded on.

So, I'm a liberal.

America was founded on individual liberty and responsibility. It is very simple. Your life is what you make. It you're a loser and a fuck up look in the mirror. Pretty simple.

Unless you were a slave which negated that whole freedom and liberty nonsense...
You know a slave?

So, I'm a liberal.

You may not be aware, but slavery was abolished 157 years ago. But thanks for playing....

So, I'm a liberal.

The important question to ask is: what is the proper role of government? Our founders would tell you that it's simple: to protect our liberty. Not to take care of all our needs.

Governments become corrupt and self-serving, all one has to do is look at history to see that the worst crimes, including the deaths of hundreds of millions of people have been committed by governments. The more corrupt they are, the more that "taking care" of you is about controlling you. Whether you realize it or not, you're trading liberty for "security."

So why put all your trust in powers who don't actually care about you, despite their words? Why would you hand over MORE power to a corrupt entity?

I think if you knew the truth about the government and the character of those with the real power, you would not be a statist. You'd be the opposite.

You want an education? Work for it. I did. You want healthcare? Ditto
If it’s about work how do you explain the fact that 78% or children in the top quintile of income families go to college but only 28% of the lowest income quintile? It’s not about working hard it’s about being born into a wealthy family. Yes you can find exceptions - it’s 28% not zero percent - but at the end of the day who your born to in this country determine your outcome more than how hard you work. Thats not American idealism.

You don’t do everything on your own. You didn’t fight off the Nazis nor build the roads in your town. That was a collective community of people you don’t know. As a member of that community do you not have any responsibilities to each other?

You don’t do everything on your own. You didn’t fight off the Nazis nor build the roads in your town. That was a collective community of people you don’t know. As a member of that community do you not have any responsibilities to each other?
When the money runs out what do you do with us?

So, I'm a liberal.

The important question to ask is: what is the proper role of government? Our founders would tell you that it's simple: to protect our liberty. Not to take care of all our needs.

Governments become corrupt and self-serving, all one has to do is look at history to see that the worst crimes, including the deaths of hundreds of millions of people have been committed by governments. The more corrupt they are, the more that "taking care" of you is about controlling you. Whether you realize it or not, you're trading liberty for "security."

So why put all your trust in powers who don't actually care about you, despite their words? Why would you hand over MORE power to a corrupt entity?

I think if you knew the truth about the government and the character of those with the real power, you would not be a statist. You'd be the opposite.
We are upside down bigly on wealth equity. This nation won’t survive a handful of people owning everything and all others fighting for scraps. It’s a recipe for disaster. You’re smart enough to read trends and graphs. It doesn’t end well.

When the money runs out what do you do with us?
That’s not a real question. Be smarter. Debate meaningfully.

So, I'm a liberal.

We are upside down bigly on wealth equity. This nation won’t survive a handful of people owning everything and all others fighting for scraps. It’s a recipe for disaster. You’re smart enough to read trends and graphs. It doesn’t end well.
Well deregulate and allow the poor and ordinary to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back