Why I didnt like The Dark Knight Rises ( MAJOR SPOILERS )

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Vidi, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Vidi

Vidi CDZ prohibited

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +343
    WARNING: This post will contain MAJOR spoilers. If you have not seen the movie yet, DO NOT READ!

Still here?

Ok.

Alright, so I actually did like the film. It was better than Batman Begins ( not hard tehre ) but no where near as good as The Dark Knight ( Heath Ledgers Joker is the greatest comic book movie performance of all time. )

But I had some major problems with the story. I am only going to address the biggest one and that is Superman.

Batman exists within a specific universe. In that universe, he is not the only super hero. He is one of many and they have in fact formed a league, maybe youve heard of it. Somewhere in that universe, on the DC planet Earth is a city called Metropolis. In Metropolis another hero happens to fight crime and his name is Superman.

Superman is invunerable, can move as the speed of light and happens to be a rather smart cookie in his own right.

So when Bane takes Gotham hostage for TWENTY THREE DAYS!!!! I think maybe...just maybe...Superman might has heard something about it on the news. He is a fucking reporter after all!!!

Superman could have sped in there found the bomb and thrown it in the sun before Bane or Talia even knew something was wrong. After that, he would have restored order in under an hour. Scarecrows Kanagroo court? Over. Bane? Thrown back into the pit. And Bruce Waynes Batman? Irrelevent.

I get that Superman cant be everywhere at once. And in the first two movies, those situtaions were transpiring RIGHT NOW, and Batman was on the job. But in The Dark Knight Rises, Batman has only appeared ONCE in eight years. And Gotham was held hostage for over three weeks.

Surely that was a job for Superman!

Disclaimer: I realize that in the Nolan Universe, Superman probably doesnt exist. But the whole time I'm sitting there watching this film slowly get to the fucking point ( the 1% are awesome. The "people" are animals. Thanks, Nolan. ) I kept thinking, if this was the DC universe, Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Green Lantern...fuck...even Aquaman would have shown up to deal with this Bane by now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. idb

idb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    I could never figure out why you would need any other superhero to help Superman.
    Especially a weakling like Batman.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,982
    Batman is the only person that has ever successfully devised a way to neutralize every other Hero. He is not a "Super" Hero, he is a mortal man that trained himself to the levels he preforms at. He is NOT a weakling. He has defeated Super Villains on his own.

4. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    simple explanation....before the Justice League, superheroes didn't mess with one another's territory. I am sure that Superman wanted to help, but it was out of his jurisdiction.

On a lighter note......don't people just watch and enjoy movies anymore? I mean, with Superhero movies, you have to suspend belief anyway. I was always a much bigger fan of Marvel than DC comics. personally? other than the Dark Knight series, Marvel has been kicking butt on the superhero movies. I haven't seen the Avengers yet. I was a little disappointed with Ghost Rider, as it was one of my favorites when I was a kid. Haven't seen the sequel to that either....oh yeah, the first Hulk movie sucked too.

good subject though...Superhero movies are one of my favorite genres.

5. idb

idb Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    If you use Superman as the reference point, he doesn't even make it up to weakling grade I'm sorry.

6. there4eyeM

there4eyeM unlicensed metaphysician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,296
    The title should be 'The Dark Lord of the Boo Ring'.

But that title should already have been used on previous efforts.

7. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    Superman is easily dominated!

8. JoeB131

JoeB131 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,061
    I think the thing is, Nolan tried to write a Batman who existed in a real world with real technology, not one full of space aliens and magic and meta-human powers. (Have to say Metahuman in the DC Universe, Marvel's got the rights to "Mutant".)

Ras' al-Ghul was not an immortal mastermind kept alive by Lazarus Pits. He was just a guy who ran a secret society. Bane was not a super-powered luchadore who used chemicals to boost his strength. He's just a really strong thug. The Joker was a guy wearing makeup, not a guy who had his skin bleached after being dropped in an acid bath.

So there probably aren't any other heroes.

9. Conservative

Conservative Type 40

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,030
    I do. I thought Dark Knight Rises was the best of the new Batman series.

10. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,377
    There were enough issues with TDKR, there's no need to make one up and worry about why Superman isn't there! :lol:

The Dark Knight was clearly the best of the 3, and still the best comic book (hero) movie to have been made.