Why haven't the Dems jumped on this Bush lie?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Palestinian Jew, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    About Bush's 1.4 trillion dollar tax cut, Bush said “by far, the vast majority of the help goes to the people at the bottom end of the economic ladder.” In fact, the bottom 60% recieved only 14.7% of the tax cut!

Do you think Bush even knows this considering he says he doesn't read any newspapers, watch tv news, or listen to raidoshows?

2. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are going to make such claims, citing the source wouldn't hurt.

Until then, all I can do is disregard this as hysterical ranting.

3. X.P. Alidocious

X.P. Alidocious Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What I want to know is why we have a "bottom" that's ten
    percent larger than our top :p What kind of division is that?

At any rate. Do you mean they received only 14.7% of the money
    saved by the tax cut, or does your percentage refer to a percentage of something else?

Possible answers to your question:
    [a] There's no lie to jump on.
    They're formulating bigger, better lies.
    [c] They're busy perfecting their metrosexual looks.
    [d] The twinkies they ate at state fairs keep coming back to them.
    [e] They're boxes of jello and cannot talk.
    [f] All of the above.

4. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Anyone can quote statistics but unfortunately your ratios aren't apples to apples. There is no lie to jump on. Gimme a break.

5. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Here are some of the links I used:

http://www.andrewtobias.com/bkoldcolumns/030929.html
    http://www.fair.org/activism/usnews-taxes.html

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m2548/2001_Sept/79151382/p1/article.jhtml
    http://www.fairtaxesforall.org/news/03_14_ftfa_release.shtml

I think these articles prove that "by far, the vast majority" of the tax cuts DID NOT go to the people at the bottom end of the economic ladder, I even included an extra 10% and that still didn't make it true. And besides, this is all about statistics, thats what the tax cut is all about.

6. Moi

Moi Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    These articles prove nothing but my theory: And despite the claim that low-income households would get a larger percentage cut, the poorest fifth of households, who have an average income of $8,600, would see their federal tax burden fall the least, by 5.5 percent, while the richest 1 percent-- making an average of $915,000-- would see their tax burden fall the most, 11.6 percent (Center on Budget & Policy Priorities, 2/6/01; Citizens for Tax Justice, 2/8/01).

recrunch your numbers. Anyone can take percentages and use them to prove a point. If Bush stated that the vast majority of the help benefits those at the lower end of the spectrum, he didn't say that the vast majority of each penny goes directly in their pocket. It's pretty clear that "benefits" can be had in many forms...refunds on money the poor never even paid in taxes---seems to me that ONLY benefits the poor. I, who paid the tax, didn't get any back. Taxing dividends twice eliminates money used in business to pay salaries, lower costs of goods, etc. By eliminating that double hit CAN YOU PROVE IT DOESN'T BENEFIT PEOPLE BY CREATING MORE JOBS? HIGHER WAGES? LOWER CONSUMER COSTS? No, you can't. Therefore, I asset that there was no lie. Bush said the economic impact of his program would benefit those in the lower economic brackets...you've not proven that they have not nor will benefit from them.

7. X.P. Alidocious

X.P. Alidocious Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm glad you took the time to find such unbiased and reliable sources. Even picked the site of the treasurer of the Democratic National Committee.

8. Righty

Righty Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What percentage of individuals pay over 50% of the American tax burden???

9. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I know! I know!

5%

5% of individuals pay 50% of the federal income taxes - and they are evil, evil people who should pay EVEN MORE!

10. Righty

Righty Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Since people go out and earn millions of dollars, say Mr. Gates, they should be forced to pay for lazy, good for nothing, scabs so they can buy their cigs and booze with food stamps and drive their new fancy cars?

That makes sense.