Why Have Unwanted Pregnancies Increased After The Advent of The Birth Control Pill?

garyganu

May 4, 2012
Unwanted pregnancies, abortions and single mothers have increased dramatically since the invention of the birth control pill in the 1960's. It seems that the birth control pill led to unintended negative consequences.

The original intention of the birth control pill was to reduce unwanted pregnancies. In fact, the pill has led to more unwanted pregnancies than ever before in human history. Since the invention of the pill, there are more single mothers, more abortions and more bastard children than ever before in human history.

This is because the birth control pill promised to eliminate the consequences of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in out-of-wedlock-births. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of single mothers and bastard children.

Therefore, it is clear that the advent of the birth control pill ironically led to more unwanted pregnancies and more unwanted children and more abortions.

In the 60's there was no threat from STDs (due to the advent of antibiotics), pregnancy was avoidable with the pill. This led the the notion that there were no negative consequences from pre-marital sex. This led to the increase of pre-marital sex. This led to the social acceptability of pre-marital sex. This led to unwanted pregnancies.

Last edited:
When Magic Johnson said he had aids it made a huge immediate dent in illegitimate pregnancies. And also the birth rate of illegitimate children 9 months later. It did the same fore Iv drug use & crime rates.

Unwanted pregnancies, abortions and single mothers have increased dramatically since the invention of the birth control pill in the 1960's. It seems that the birth control pill led to unintended negative consequences.

The original intention of the birth control pill was to reduce unwanted pregnancies. In fact, the pill has led to more unwanted pregnancies than ever before in human history. Since the invention of the pill, there are more single mothers, more abortions and more bastard children than ever before in human history.

This is because the birth control pill promised to eliminate the consequences of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in out-of-wedlock-births. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of single mothers and bastard children.

Therefore, it is clear that the advent of the birth control pill ironically led to more unwanted pregnancies and more unwanted children and more abortions.

I think you are confusing cause and effect. While the pill may have reduced the societal restrictions on pre-marital sex, it is not the actual cause of more pregnancies. If the women were takingthe pill, they probably would not have gotten pregnant.

Society's view of pre-marital sex has been relaxing for decades, if not more. Views on premarital sex in the 1950's were far more relaxed than in the 1930's.

I think you are confusing cause and effect. While the pill may have reduced the societal restrictions on pre-marital sex, it is not the actual cause of more pregnancies. If the women were takingthe pill, they probably would not have gotten pregnant.

Society's view of pre-marital sex has been relaxing for decades, if not more. Views on premarital sex in the 1950's were far more relaxed than in the 1930's.

But they are much, much, much more relaxed in the 2000's than ever before in human history. IMO, this is the result of the promise of "no consequences". If the consequences of the 1950's were still present today, the pendulum would have swung back in the other direction.

Last edited:

But they are much, much, much more relaxed in the 2000's than ever before in human history. IMO, this is the result of the promise of "no consequences".

I remember the 60s, and don't recall any promise of no consequences.

In fact, I recall much being made of the fact that the pill did not protect against STDs. Remember the commercials singing "VD is for everybody"?

Also, virtually every phase of our lives has people avoiding personal responsibility. It is not even a liberal/conservative thing. Liberals want to avoid personal responsibility for social actions. Conservatives want to avoid responsibility for fiscal and other actions. No one wants to take responsibility for the fact that their actions have consequences.

The pill is certainly a major societal step, but to blame it for the entire mess is laughable.

But they are much, much, much more relaxed in the 2000's than ever before in human history. IMO, this is the result of the promise of "no consequences".

In fact, I recall much being made of the fact that the pill did not protect against STDs. Remember the commercials singing "VD is for everybody"?

Also, virtually every phase of our lives has people avoiding personal responsibility. It is not even a liberal/conservative thing. Liberals want to avoid personal responsibility for social actions. Conservatives want to avoid responsibility for fiscal and other actions. No one wants to take responsibility for the fact that their actions have consequences.

The pill is certainly a major societal step, but to blame it for the entire mess is laughable.

In the 60's all STDs could be cured. STDs were not a major threat. This was before the epidemic of AIDS.

In the 60's all STDs could be cured. STDs were not a major threat. This was before the epidemic of AIDS.

OK. I don't see that this changes anything I posted.

In the 60's there was no threat from STDs (due to the advent of antibiotics), pregnancy was avoidable with the pill. This led the the notion that there were no negative consequences from pre-marital sex. This led to the increase of pre-marital sex. This led to the social acceptability of pre-marital sex. This led to unwanted pregnancies.

The pill has helped change society's attitude toward premarital sex has changed. Now someone who opposes premarital sex is considered a bigot by society, and a criminal by the government.

"Magic" Johnson announced his HIV infection in November 1991. Look at what happened to the illegitimate birth rate a year after that!!!

Crime-Abortion_Illegitimacy_Rate.jpg

The pill has helped change society's attitude toward premarital sex has changed. Now someone who opposes premarital sex is considered a bigot by society, and a criminal by the government.

It helped change the fact that women could finally enjoy premarital sex. Men have always been all for it.

The pill didn't change people being irresponsible. All those unwanted pregnancies could have been avoided if the men wore a condom too, but no one blames condoms.

If people were using the pill the right way there would be alot less unwanted pregnancies, I know women who use the pill or depo shot and still make sure their partner wears a condom, they never get pregnant.

You oppose premarital sex because you can't get any women to have sex with, so you want everyone else to be miserable with you.:eusa_hand:

I don't think that unwanted pregnancies have increased

Prior to the pill it was common for women to have four or five children in her lifetime. Since the pill it is more like two or three

Boy, did you miss out on the sexual revolution.

You oppose premarital sex because you can't get any women to have sex with, so you want everyone else to be miserable with you.:eusa_hand:

You're saying that married people are miserable. That is a horribly bigoted, hateful and untrue assumption

You're saying that married people are miserable. That is a horribly bigoted, hateful and untrue assumption

Thats not even remotely close to what I said.:eusa_hand:

Forum List

Back