Why Have Unwanted Pregnancies Increased After The Advent of The Birth Control Pill?

Unwanted pregnancies, abortions and single mothers have increased dramatically since the invention of the birth control pill in the 1960's. It seems that the birth control pill led to unintended negative consequences.

Correlation does not mean causation.

The original intention of the birth control pill was to reduce unwanted pregnancies. In fact, the pill has led to more unwanted pregnancies than ever before in human history. Since the invention of the pill, there are more single mothers, more abortions and more bastard children than ever before in human history.

This is because the birth control pill promised to eliminate the consequences of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in out-of-wedlock-births. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of single mothers and bastard children.

Therefore, it is clear that the advent of the birth control pill ironically led to more unwanted pregnancies and more unwanted children and more abortions.

In the 60's there was no threat from STDs (due to the advent of antibiotics), pregnancy was avoidable with the pill. This led the the notion that there were no negative consequences from pre-marital sex. This led to the increase of pre-marital sex. This led to the social acceptability of pre-marital sex. This led to unwanted pregnancies.

Sorry you have trouble getting laid.

Read the above posts. Bastard children are often troubled people and problematic for society.

A troubled blessing?:eusa_eh:

This thread is about reducing "unwanted pregnancies" because unwanted pregnancies are often not a blessing, they are often a big problem. The point of my thread is that the advent of birth control has not reduced "unwanted pregnancies".

I get that but you just said having a baby is something every woman should do and children are a blessing, you said theres no such thing as too many people so how can there be such a thing as a "unwanted" pregnancy?:eusa_eh:

A troubled blessing?:eusa_eh:

This thread is about reducing "unwanted pregnancies" because unwanted pregnancies are often not a blessing, they are often a big problem. The point of my thread is that the advent of birth control has not reduced "unwanted pregnancies".

I get that but you just said having a baby is something every woman should do and children are a blessing, you said theres no such thing as too many people so how can there be such a thing as a "unwanted" pregnancy?:eusa_eh:

Obviously bad kids, criminals, drug addicts and drop-outs are usually not blessings. Children need to be wanted, loved and cared-for in order to be an asset to themselves and the world in which they live. Unwanted pregnancies often lead to children that drain resources instead of producing resources (welfare, prisons, courts, criminal activity, etc).

Last edited:

Obviously bad kids, criminals, drug addicts and drop-outs are usually not blessings. Children need to be wanted, loved and cared-for in order to be an asset to themselves and the world in which they live. Unwanted pregnancies often lead to children that are a drain on resources (welfare, prisons, courts, criminal activity, etc).

So only children who come from good homes are blessings, the rest are unwanted burdens? well if thats the case you should be all gung ho for birth control pills and abortions, anything to keep women from having more bastards.:eusa_whistle:

Obviously bad kids, criminals, drug addicts and drop-outs are usually not blessings. Children need to be wanted, loved and cared-for in order to be an asset to themselves and the world in which they live. Unwanted pregnancies often lead to children that are a drain on resources (welfare, prisons, courts, criminal activity, etc).

So only children who come from good homes are blessings, the rest are unwanted burdens? well if thats the case you should be all gung ho for birth control pills and abortions, anything to keep women from having more bastards.:eusa_whistle:

Yes, many of today's problems are caused by people who were not born into "good homes" (married parents).

This conversation is going in circles. :)

Read my original post. Here is an excerpt:

...the birth control pill promised to eliminate the consequences of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in out-of-wedlock-births. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of single mothers and bastard children.

Therefore, it is clear that the advent of the birth control pill ironically led to more unwanted pregnancies and more unwanted children and more abortions.

Last edited:

...the birth control pill promised to eliminate the consequences of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in pre-marital sex. In turn, this led to a dramatic increase in out-of-wedlock-births. In turn, this led to the social acceptance of single mothers and bastard children.

So you think getting rid of the pill would help? I think there would be even more unwanted pregnancy with out, alot of the problems come with user error.

The bolded part is untrue which make your entire rant nonsense.

So you think getting rid of the pill would help? I think there would be even more unwanted pregnancy with out, alot of the problems come with user error.

No, getting rid of the pill will not work. That is like closing the barn door after the horse is already gone. The problem is the social acceptance of single mothers and their bastard children. The first thing to do to correct this problem is to stop subsidizing single parents and their bastard children. When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

No, getting rid of the pill will not work. That is like closing the barn door after the horse is already gone. The problem is the social acceptance of single mothers and their bastard children. The first thing to do to correct this problem is to stop subsidizing single parents and their bastard children. When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

They really need to get the ball rolling on that male birth control pill, that will help alot.

They really need to get the ball rolling on that male birth control pill, that will help alot.

Won't guys lie about being on the pill just to get laid? If I were a woman, I wouldn't trust the guy. Sometimes we think with our little head.

Won't guys lie about being on the pill just to get laid? If I were a woman, I wouldn't trust the guy. Sometimes we think with our little head.

Women should still have him put a condom on anyways no matter what he says, the pill won't stop STD's.

Simple answer.... becasue most men assume that the woman is on the pill and don't wear a condom.

Simple answer.... becasue most men assume that the woman is on the pill and don't wear a condom.

Simple answer to what question? The question is: Why have unwanted pregnancies increased since the advent of the birth control pill?

Simple answer to what question? The question is: Why have unwanted pregnancies increased since the advent of the birth control pill?
They haven't. Are you this stupid in real life?

Here are some facts:

The proportion of births to unmarried women has increased dramatically in recent decades, rising from 5.3 percent in 1960 to 32.2 percent in 1995. After some stability in the mid-1990s, there was a gradual rise from 1997 through 2007, though the rate appears to have stabilized again, at 40.8 percent in 2010 (preliminary estimate).

Children born to unmarried mothers are more likely to grow up in a single-parent household, experience instability in living arrangements, live in poverty, and have socio-emotional problems.

Read more here: Births to Unmarried Women | Child Trends Databank

Here are some facts:

The proportion of births to unmarried women has increased dramatically in recent decades, rising from 5.3 percent in 1960 to 32.2 percent in 1995. After some stability in the mid-1990s, there was a gradual rise from 1997 through 2007, though the rate appears to have stabilized again, at 40.8 percent in 2010 (preliminary estimate).

Children born to unmarried mothers are more likely to grow up in a single-parent household, experience instability in living arrangements, live in poverty, and have socio-emotional problems.

Unmarried mothers doesn't mean un-wanted pregnancies dummy.

Well to be fair in a drunken one night stand nobodies really asking any questions.:redface:

Very true, In those situations one must strike while the iron is hot. However, alcohol consumption has not gone up since the 60's. Actually, I think alcohol consumption is declining.

Here are some facts:

Unmarried mothers doesn't mean un-wanted pregnancies dummy.

When people hear the word "unwed mother" they panic and assume the father is absent, the mother is on food stamps, welfare, and the child will have no future.

Well to be fair in a drunken one night stand nobodies really asking any questions.:redface:

Very true, In those situations one must strike while the iron is hot. However, alcohol consumption has not gone up since the 60's. Actually, I think alcohol consumption is declining.

Thats the funny thing it actually is, teen pregnancies have gone down as well.

Forum List

Back