Why favor protecting union wages from USA competition, except not skilled labor from 3rd world?

RandomPoster

Platinum Member
May 22, 2017
I used to have an unskilled labor job paying a ridiculous wage because it was union. Tons of Americans could have done the job and would have for way less money, except inflated (I mean prevailing) wage prevented it. It would be so unfair to allow other Americans to compete for ridiculously overpaid unskilled jobs.

However, skilled professions can be outsourced to third world shitholes in order to artificially drive down wages. It is so much better to train foreigners and allow Americans to become less skilled. We lose the expertise and ship money overseas.

Which worker if either, is more deserving of "prevailing wage" protection?

1. Joe is making $35 an hour taping a piece of insulation to a pipe because of a government backed union and prevailing wage. We allow Frank from another town to do it for $12 an hour unless Bob agrees to do it for $12 an hour.

2. Bob is making $35 an hour as a trained IT professional with a degree in Computer Science. They are unable to find qualified Americans willing to do the job for less. They train people in Shitvillistan, where the average family income is $50 a month, and offshore his job to some guy living in a cardboard box. Americans decide foreigners will now do the skilled work for us, while we ship money overseas.

I used to have an unskilled labor job paying a ridiculous wage because it was union. Tons of Americans could have done the job and would have for way less money, except inflated (I mean prevailing) wage prevented it. It would be so unfair to allow other Americans to compete for ridiculously overpaid unskilled jobs.

However, skilled professions can be outsourced to third world shitholes in order to artificially drive down wages. It is so much better to train foreigners and allow Americans to become less skilled. We lose the expertise and ship money overseas.

Which worker if either, is more deserving of "prevailing wage" protection?

1. Joe is making $35 an hour taping a piece of insulation to a pipe because of a government backed union and prevailing wage. We allow Frank from another town to do it for $12 an hour unless Bob agrees to do it for $12 an hour.

2. Bob is making $35 an hour as a trained IT professional with a degree in Computer Science. They are unable to find qualified Americans willing to do the job for less. They train people in Shitvillistan, where the average family income is $50 a month, and offshore his job to some guy living in a cardboard box. Americans decide foreigners will now do the skilled work for us, while we ship money overseas.

Why protect the jobs? So the economy doesn't tank. Its all about being able to build a better spaceforce than the Chinese.

Forum List

Back