Why Education is Failing

William Joyce said:
What Hobbit said. This is an excellent observation.

Public school basically trains people to be complacent, unquestioning worker bees and consumers. It rewards following directions and punishes original thinking. John Taylor Gatto is a good writer on this topic.

Homeschooling may not be practical for all, but I love the idea in concept. It's a big "F-you" to the system.

I agree with you on homeschooling, for parents with the means financially and academically. It's the way to go...

William Joyce said:
What Hobbit said. This is an excellent observation.

Public school basically trains people to be complacent, unquestioning worker bees and consumers. It rewards following directions and punishes original thinking. John Taylor Gatto is a good writer on this topic.

Homeschooling may not be practical for all, but I love the idea in concept. It's a big "F-you" to the system.

It's so true. In my math classes, I actually studied the mathematical process behind all the stuff instead of just formula memorization. I discovered my own shortcuts and re-derived formulas when I got counted off. I got extra credit for this in one class, which was an honors class and was taught by a guy who was actually doing research into new mathematical theory. In all other calculus classes, I got counted off for "doing it wrong." I mean, I'd come up with a way to condense a page and a half of work into 3 lines plus 10 more lines showing how I derived this method from the math the other method was based on and I'd get COUNTED OFF FOR IT!

Hobbit said:
It's so true. In my math classes, I actually studied the mathematical process behind all the stuff instead of just formula memorization. I discovered my own shortcuts and re-derived formulas when I got counted off. I got extra credit for this in one class, which was an honors class and was taught by a guy who was actually doing research into new mathematical theory. In all other calculus classes, I got counted off for "doing it wrong." I mean, I'd come up with a way to condense a page and a half of work into 3 lines plus 10 more lines showing how I derived this method from the math the other method was based on and I'd get COUNTED OFF FOR IT!
Did you get AP credit? If so, never mind the naysayers...

Forum List

Back