Death no longer becomes us...

insein

Apr 10, 2004
Philadelphia, Amazing huh...
Here's a scary prospect.

http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i10/10a01401.htm

The Man Who Would Murder Death
A rogue researcher challenges scientists to reverse human aging

If you wish to be a prophet, first you must dress the part. No more silk ties or tasseled loafers. Instead, throw on a wrinkled T-shirt, frayed jeans, and dirty sneakers. You should appear somewhat unkempt, as if combs and showers were only for the unenlightened. When you encounter critics, as all prophets do, dismiss them as idiots. Make sure to pepper your conversation with grandiose predictions and remind others of your genius often, lest they forget. Oh, and if possible, grow a very long beard.

By these measures, Aubrey de Grey is indeed a prophet. The 42-year-old English biogerontologist has made his name by claiming that some people alive right now could live for 1,000 years or longer. Maybe much longer. Growing old is not, in his view, an inevitable consequence of the human condition; rather, it is the result of accumulated damage at the cellular and molecular levels that medical advances will soon be able to prevent — or even reverse — allowing people to go on living pretty much indefinitely. We'll still have to worry about angry bears and falling pianos, but aging, the biggest killer of all, will cease to be a threat. Death, as we know it, will die.

Mainstream gerontologists do not agree and hate to even raise the topic in public. They shy away from talk about life extension or "curing" aging and prefer to focus on keeping older people healthy for as long as possible, a goal referred to in the discipline as "compression of morbidity" or "healthspan." Many of them write off Mr. de Grey as more beard than brain.

So ... is he crazy? Not in the sense that he is divorced from reality or just making things up as he goes along. Mr. de Grey is a serious, thoughtful, sincere, prolific, even brilliant researcher and thinker who seems to have devoted every last ounce of his intellect to conquering the single biggest medical menace facing mankind. Along the way, he has acquired plenty of supporters and detractors — and gained the respect of some of the top scientists in the world.

continued in link

Ending death? Isnt that the final stroke in playing god? Strange times we live in.

Mr. P said:
Hummm..playing god? Maybe we ARE GOD, and just don't know it.

Just a wild ass deep thought.

According to Genesis Adam and Eve were expelled from the Garden of Eden not because of their sin but to keep them from taking from the Tree of Life and living corporally forever.

http://bible.gospelcom.net/passage/?book_id=1&chapter=3&version=31

21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." 23 So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side [e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

insein said:
Here's a scary prospect.

http://chronicle.com/free/v52/i10/10a01401.htm

Ending death? Isnt that the final stroke in playing god? Strange times we live in.
You know, I just want you to know that it's okay to feel good about stuff and not "play god." Aren't you excited at the prospect of being able to live as long as you want? I sure as hell am.

A 2000 year old desert nomad myth about creation has nothing to do with modern science. You guys can die if you want to, but I'm going to live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!:laugh:

Hagbard Celine said:
You know, I just want you to know that it's okay to feel good about stuff and not "play god." Aren't you excited at the prospect of being able to live as long as you want? I sure as hell am.

You bet I am! I approve of this.

Mr. P said:
All written by man..Humm

Yup. And?

Even if it all is true, we have minds to continue to improve our circumstances and our futures. I approve of this type of scientific research. It would be exciting to me to live for such a long period. Like Ben Franklin I would like to wake up about every 50 years or so to see how it all turns out....

Hagbard Celine said:

A 2000 year old desert nomad myth about creation has nothing to do with modern science. You guys can die if you want to, but I'm going to live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!:laugh:

Actually, a longer life span might lead us to, finally, adopt the long view regarding the consequences of our actions. Given human nature, I doubt it though.

Bullypulpit said:
Actually, a longer life span might lead us to, finally, adopt the long view regarding the consequences of our actions. Given human nature, I doubt it though.

Only lib dems are stupid enough not to learn.

nosarcasm said:
prediction for the future.

Suicide will be the killer Nr.1.

Google will gather so much information that it will become self-aware and enslave humanity Matrix-style.

Until the Japanese launch their Master Plan into action, activating the secret transformer robots they have sewn all throughout the world, disguised as cute little dolls.

http://www.userfriendly.org/community/ufiles/hellokitty_sk.jpg

Abbey Normal said:
Egads! Imagine how droopy 700 year old boobs would be? :eek2: And I surely don't want to picture a 700 year old woman with a perky boob job.

You would get new skin and other organs as needed. I think you would appear more like 30 than 700.

:boobies:

You wouldn't appear that old at all if this guy's research pans out because he's working on reversing the effects of cell degeneration. You would not age. That's how you would live so long. It'd be like being 700 years old in an 18-year-old's body. :thup:

Hagbard Celine said:
You wouldn't appear that old at all if this guy's research pans out because he's working on reversing the effects of cell degeneration. You would not age. That's how you would live so long. It'd be like being 700 years old in an 18-year-old's body. :thup:

Sounds like we could end up having crushes on someone's grandparent. :eek:

What about brain cells? Does Dr. Frankenstein think they can also be regenerated? And if they can, wouldn't our personalities, our very selves, change?

Abbey Normal said:
Sounds like we could end up having crushes on someone's grandparent. :eek:

What about brain cells? Does Dr. Frankenstein think they can also be regenerated? And if they can, wouldn't our personalities, our very selves, change?
Hey, I'll take 'em if they look like Demi Moore.:D
Research has shown that loss of brain function is attributed to inactivity and/or disease. New neurons can be formed even in extreme old age when a person is actually using their brain. That is why Nuns statistically have larger brains and a lower instance of neural degeneration than regular people. Nuns make it a point to learn new things all the time. Plus new research with stem cells and other things is looking promising in the quest to regrow damaged neural cells.

http://www.fi.edu/brain/exercise.htm

Forum List

Back