Why don't we spend billions on education?

Guys we need to continue spending far less on education than the countries who lead the world in education do. Otherwise how can we convince our children that evolution is wrong and science is stupid?!

In 2011, only two countries spent more per student than the US ---- The Condition of Education - Elementary and Secondary Education - Finance - Education Expenditures by Country - Indicator May 2015

Guess we didn't spend enough on yours, though, huh?
Simma down commie. Science is satan's work!

Guys we need to continue spending far less on education than the countries who lead the world in education do. Otherwise how can we convince our children that evolution is wrong and science is stupid?!

In 2011, only two countries spent more per student than the US ---- The Condition of Education - Elementary and Secondary Education - Finance - Education Expenditures by Country - Indicator May 2015

What a cogent, concise, and articulate response .... it's a shame it isn't worth anything.

I always thought the United States spent more than most other countries. Here are portions of an article from the Huffington Post:

“The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system – more than any other nation covered in the report.

“That sum was slightly higher than some developed countries and it far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

“As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other countries in that organization of the world's most developed countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education.”

Study US Education Spending Tops Global List

Actually, I am more concerned with the comparisons between various school systems within the United States. Some schools with less per-student spending get better results than those with more. Some of the very worst school systems also spend the most. There does not appear to be any credible evidence that additional spending will bring better results in these schools.
I wonder at those numbers. Some of those countries pay for their students entire post-highschool education, which in America is equal to tens of thousands of dollars. AND their elementary and highschool teachers are better paid and better respected.

I think teacher pay in this country is comparable to that in other countries. From the same link provided earlier:

“Still, teachers in the United States earn more than their global peers. But that gap is narrowing.

“The average first-year high school teacher in the United States earns about $38,000. OECD nations pay their comparable educators just more than $31,000.

“That trails Luxembourg, which pays its first year teachers more than $72,000 a year, but far exceeds the $10,000 paid to first-year high school teachers in Slovakia. Among all educators, U.S. payrolls are competitive. The average high school teacher in the United States earns about $53,000, well above the average of $45,500 among all OECD nations.”

Study US Education Spending Tops Global List

I fully agree that respect for teachers in this country is often completely lacking. I believe it is impossible to teach effectively when classroom discipline breaks down. A few days ago, I read about a student who hit his teacher upside the head and was returned to the same classroom minutes later. All I could think was WTF?? I'm 75 years old and when I went to school things like that didn't happen. Way back then, any student who attacked a teacher would have been immediately placed in police custody and sent to a reform school to finish his education. Teachers need to maintain control of their classrooms, but they are not getting the support they need to accomplish this.

I seriously doubt that teachers in other countries have to put up with the crap our teaches are faced with.

What a cogent, concise, and articulate response .... it's a shame it isn't worth anything.
May the power of Christ compel you cracka!

Rule No. 4. When lacking a cogent or coherent response, attack the poster.

And yet DTMB provided you with the proof that we spend over a 100 billion per year on education and you idiots spout off about religion. What the fuck is wrong with you? Here is ample evidence that the school children are being screwed over by the education system and you dipshits gloss right over that to make a off point troll remark?

Give me a fucking break and grow the fuck up. These are real kids that are being fucked over by an incompetent bunch of administrators and you ignore that. You should be fucking ashamed.

Obviously we don't spend enough on elocution.

"Grow the fuck up". I love me some irony.

Obviously? What's so obvious about it?

Obviously, it's so obvious that I put the obvious words in obvious purple -- and you're still oblivious to the obvious.

And yet DTMB provided you with the proof that we spend over a 100 billion per year on education and you idiots spout off about religion. What the fuck is wrong with you? Here is ample evidence that the school children are being screwed over by the education system and you dipshits gloss right over that to make a off point troll remark?

Give me a fucking break and grow the fuck up. These are real kids that are being fucked over by an incompetent bunch of administrators and you ignore that. You should be fucking ashamed.

Obviously, it's so obvious that I put the obvious words in obvious purple -- and you're still oblivious to the obvious.

Guess that means you can't explain it, huh? That's the problem with generalized statements about areas you know nothing ... your ignorance gets embarrassing.

Guess that means you can't explain it, huh? That's the problem with generalized statements about areas you know nothing ... your ignorance gets embarrassing.

You think I "know nothing" about English -- a language you can't even read?

:eusa_hand:

The list of things you 'know nothing' about is long and varied ... and just happens to include education. You made a generalized statement, and when pressed for details, immediately tried to deflect away from the subject. When my last post tried to bring you back to the subject at hand, you acknowledged your shortfall and tried to, once again, deflect.

Learn it, live it, love it.

The list of things you 'know nothing' about is long and varied ... and just happens to include education. You made a generalized statement, and when pressed for details, immediately tried to deflect away from the subject. When my last post tried to bring you back to the subject at hand, you acknowledged your shortfall and tried to, once again, deflect.

That post wasn't about "education".

Try reading it.
Get an education in reading first.

el·o·cu·tion
ˌeləˈkyo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
noun: elocution
  1. the skill of clear and expressive speech, especially of distinct pronunciation and articulation.
    synonyms: pronunciation, enunciation, articulation, diction, speech, intonation, vocalization, modulation;More
    phrasing, delivery, public speaking
    "the producers brought in a teacher to help with her elocution"
    • a particular style of speaking.

Idiot.

there's millions of college educated US citizens who can't find work that pays even $20 an hour, which a truck driver can earn. So giving college ed to more people is a pointless waste of time, effort and money.

Prove it. The figures are quite controversial.
I'm afraid the government won't pay tuition fees if your poor. The university might offer a discount or you might find a bursary. However many young people do not succeed.

You're simply wrong. Oklahoma, the reddest state in the union pays for poor kids to go to college. My son graduated high school with a 4.25 GPA and scored a 29 on his ACT. The biggest merit scholarship the state would give was $2k per year.

If your parents make under $50k per year, you can sign up for Oklahoma's Promise in the 8th grade and all you have to do is pull a 2.5 GPA, stay out of trouble with the law and take a few specified courses to get your tuition paid for 4 years at any state school.

Imagine that, a truly bright and gifted kid gets squat and the kid who makes a C gets a bundle. The deck is stacked with entitlements.

Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Students Oklahoma s Promise

"If the student meets the program's requirements, Oklahoma's Promise will pay his/her tuition at an Oklahoma public two-year college or four-year university. It will also cover at least a portion of tuition at an Oklahoma accredited private college or university or for courses offered at public technology centers that qualify for credit from an Oklahoma public two-year college.
The scholarship amount, however, does not cover items such as books, supplies, room and board, or any other special fees. Students are strongly encouraged to apply for other forms of financial aid to cover these costs."

the Pell grant covers tuition, does not have to be repaid., and anyone who can keep a "C" grade going gets 13k of loans per year. If they are smart enough to SAY that they'll teach and have a 3.25 GPA, they can borrow another 4k per year, for at least 2 years ,probably 3 years. If they'll go into nursing, cops, fire fighting, etc, their loans are "forgiven", 1 year of work = one year of loans forgiven.

Try reading it.

el·o·cu·tion
ˌeləˈkyo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the skill of clear and expressive speech, especially of distinct pronunciation and articulation.
    synonyms: pronunciation, enunciation, articulation, diction, speech, intonation, vocalization, modulation;More

Idiot.

i am VERY aware of what your disingenuous post supposedly was about ... it was your effort to deflect from the subject at hand. You said it was OBVIOUS that we needed to spend more on education, and I merely asked how that was so obvious. You can't justify your position, so you attempted to weasel out of it, by trying to raise another tempest in a teapot that had zero to do with the subject at hand.

Quit whining ... step up and answer the question ..... why is it so obvious that we need to spend more money on education?

the problem is that we don't have enough JOBS (that pay enough) to justify giving ever higher % of kids a college education. They are going to end up making $10-$15 per hour, just like they could have done with a very few months worth of training at stuff like welding, truck driving, etc. Without wasting 4 years of income and without borrowing 40k, at 7% annual interest. College is already a waste of time and money for half of the students who go there.

he's looking to PROFIT (in some way) at the tax expense of others. He's a teacher, works for a college, or his kids/wife do/will, something like that.

there's millions of college educated US citizens who can't find work that pays even $20 an hour, which a truck driver can earn. So giving college ed to more people is a pointless waste of time, effort and money.

Wrong

the problem is that we don't have enough JOBS (that pay enough) to justify giving ever higher % of kids a college education. They are going to end up making $10-$15 per hour, just like they could have done with a very few months worth of training at stuff like welding, truck driving, etc. Without wasting 4 years of income and without borrowing 40k, at 7% annual interest. College is already a waste of time and money for half of the students who go there.

Short-sighted dope.

Try reading it.

el·o·cu·tion
ˌeləˈkyo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun

Idiot.

i am VERY aware of what your disingenuous post supposedly was about ... it was your effort to deflect from the subject at hand. You said it was OBVIOUS that we needed to spend more on education, and I merely asked how that was so obvious. You can't justify your position, so you attempted to weasel out of it, by trying to raise another tempest in a teapot that had zero to do with the subject at hand.

Quit whining ... step up and answer the question ..... why is it so obvious that we need to spend more money on education?

:banghead:

Obviously we don't spend enough on >>>>> elocution <<<<<.

THE POST WAS ALWAYS ABOUT ELOCUTION -- not education, DUMBASS.

:dig:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back