Why don't we spend billions on education?

Donald Polish

VIP Member
Nov 27, 2014
Kansas City
I am an American citizen. I always wondered why tuition is so freaking expensive, forcing some people to take loans from the government, essentially making everyone a debt slave in the long run (sounds like a scam to me). Then I hear about military spending and the billions that get put into it and it just sounds absolutely absurd.
Why doesn't the Government just fund public universities? I don't understand. If we want a better society, the first step is education, no?
What do we prefer: being militarized or being educated?

And yet DTMB provided you with the proof that we spend over a 100 billion per year on education and you idiots spout off about religion. What the fuck is wrong with you? Here is ample evidence that the school children are being screwed over by the education system and you dipshits gloss right over that to make a off point troll remark?

Give me a fucking break and grow the fuck up. These are real kids that are being fucked over by an incompetent bunch of administrators and you ignore that. You should be fucking ashamed.

And yet DTMB provided you with the proof that we spend over a 100 billion per year on education and you idiots spout off about religion. What the fuck is wrong with you? Here is ample evidence that the school children are being screwed over by the education system and you dipshits gloss right over that to make a off point troll remark?

Give me a fucking break and grow the fuck up. These are real kids that are being fucked over by an incompetent bunch of administrators and you ignore that. You should be fucking ashamed.

Obviously we don't spend enough on elocution.

"Grow the fuck up". I love me some irony.

Care to address the OP pogo? It's sitting there right in front of you. How about you tell us why the education system is failing so badly when it is so well funded.

Hmmmm?

Spending more on education has increased massively but has failed to improve anything. It's just a big money pit. The truth is that TOO MUCH money is spent on education. The problem is not money, the problem is the system itself, which is still using centuries-old obsolete technologies. This reminds me a lot of things in the USA.

Guys we need to continue spending far less on education than the countries who lead the world in education do.

They're all spending less than we are. Money is not the problem with our education system and never has been.
Teacher salary is much higher in countries with better education than ours. We need to figure out how to pay our teachers more, and we need to lessen the hostility towards teachers in this country.

Guys we need to continue spending far less on education than the countries who lead the world in education do. Otherwise how can we convince our children that evolution is wrong and science is stupid?!

I always thought the United States spent more than most other countries. Here are portions of an article from the Huffington Post:

“The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system – more than any other nation covered in the report.

“That sum was slightly higher than some developed countries and it far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

“As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other countries in that organization of the world's most developed countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education.”

Study US Education Spending Tops Global List

Actually, I am more concerned with the comparisons between various school systems within the United States. Some schools with less per-student spending get better results than those with more. Some of the very worst school systems also spend the most. There does not appear to be any credible evidence that additional spending will bring better results in these schools.

Guys we need to continue spending far less on education than the countries who lead the world in education do. Otherwise how can we convince our children that evolution is wrong and science is stupid?!

I always thought the United States spent more than most other countries. Here are portions of an article from the Huffington Post:

“The United States spent more than $11,000 per elementary student in 2010 and more than $12,000 per high school student. When researchers factored in the cost for programs after high school education such as college or vocational training, the United States spent $15,171 on each young person in the system – more than any other nation covered in the report.

“That sum was slightly higher than some developed countries and it far surpassed others. Switzerland's total spending per student was $14,922 while Mexico averaged $2,993 in 2010. The average OECD nation spent $9,313 per young person.

“As a share of its economy, the United States spent more than the average country in the survey. In 2010, the United States spent 7.3 percent of its gross domestic product on education, compared with the 6.3 percent average of other countries in that organization of the world's most developed countries. Denmark topped the list on that measure with 8 percent of its gross domestic product going toward education.”

Study US Education Spending Tops Global List

Actually, I am more concerned with the comparisons between various school systems within the United States. Some schools with less per-student spending get better results than those with more. Some of the very worst school systems also spend the most. There does not appear to be any credible evidence that additional spending will bring better results in these schools.
I wonder at those numbers. Some of those countries pay for their students entire post-highschool education, which in America is equal to tens of thousands of dollars. AND their elementary and highschool teachers are better paid and better respected.

I am an American citizen. I always wondered why tuition is so freaking expensive, forcing some people to take loans from the government, essentially making everyone a debt slave in the long run (sounds like a scam to me). Then I hear about military spending and the billions that get put into it and it just sounds absolutely absurd.
Why doesn't the Government just fund public universities? I don't understand. If we want a better society, the first step is education, no?

It seems you understand nothing about economics, and less about America.

Your question is a non sequitur .... one has nothing to do with the other.

If you want to discuss what's wrong with the education process, we can do that. If you want to discuss what's wrong with the military budget, we can do that.

BTW --- in 2013, we spent $632 billion on education, and $577 billion on Defense. Fast Facts

Obviously? What's so obvious about it?

Forum List

Back