Why don't people watch films?

Cary Grant, Kate Hepburn, with a tame leopard?

Great comedy.

Especially when Kate drags the wild leopard into the police station
I didn't even realize it was a comedy so I certainly wouldn't classify it as great.

Cary grant made me nervous. Remember the one where his aunt's were killing old men?

I appreciate these movies but I'm glad movies have come a long way.

Today the closest thing we have to these old
Yea well I want to see shocking or eventful scenes. Not 1:45 slow and last 15 minutes good. In tarantino there's suspense too but something interesting is happening in every scene.

I have another great movie. True romance

The only suspense in a Tarantino movie, usually, is wondering who's going to bleed next
I'm a big fan of Tarantino, but I agree...I don't really find any of his movies suspenseful...entertaining and witty? Yes. Suspenseful? No. Tarantino doesn't really let you get introspective and wondering what will happen to the characters...he keeps you engaged with the dialogue and action in his films. An example would be the cellar scene from Inglorious Bastards. I mean there you have that point where the German officer calls out the British spy while playing their drinking games. However, were you really sitting on the edge of your seat biting your fingernails with your heart beating wondering how things will turn out? Or, were you entertained by the witty point where the German officer likened the story of King Kong to that of the African American slave? He doesn't tend to give you a lot of time to think and get tuned up with the suspense...he keeps you engaged from moment to moment. It isn't a bad thing at all...but it isn't suspenseful either.
How about when the German officer is questioning the family hiding the Jews in the cellar?

:rolleyes-41:

I'll have to think of a film that is in similar bad taste for Americans....I'm sure there's a graphic one that shows Americans incinerating Japanese women and children or committing mass slaughter of Native Americans....or incinerating Vietnamese children with Napalm.

I'll think of one and post the trailer so you can enjoy it.

Also this thread is about OLD FILMS, you've already stated you're not a fan of OLD FILMS, so start your own thread about NEW FILMS, instead of disrupting my thread.

Edited for spelling error.
I was simply telling you why I don't enjoy some/a lot of old movies but I do appreciate old movies and would like to continue being a part of the conversation.

Okay, but I'm Germanic and I'd appreciate WWII subject matter not to be brought into my thread, we're tired about hearing of this stuff, we've moved on, other people should move on also.

EG. Will posted he'd recently watched the film "All Through The Night", but he just posted a link, he didn't elaborate, which I thank him for.

There are many thousands of other films on other subjects that I'm quite happy for you to discuss.

How about when the German officer is questioning the family hiding the Jews in the cellar?
That was a good example of a suspenseful scene in a Tarantino movie, I agree...however the tension was immediately relieved at the end of the scene when, instead of perhaps brooding or chasing after the girl, Colonel Hans fires an errant shot and then glibly yells something to the likes of (its been a while since I've seen the movie so I can't directly quote it), "Au Revoir. Shoshanna" letting the audience kinda know that she is home free.

Tarantino does have suspenseful scenes, like the one you noted or maybe the one in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis and the black guy are captured by the homosexual rapists...but he doesn't have suspenseful movies...he either kills the tension at the end of the scene or keeps it from building by distracting / entertaining the audience during what would normally be a highly suspenseful situation. I mean when was the last time you saw a Tarantino movie that had you on the edge of your seat really concerned for a certain person or group of people throughout the film, focusing almost exclusively upon their predicament (Reservoir Dogs is the only movie I've seen from him that even comes close to this)? I mean if you take Django Unchained...the entire trip to Candyland could have been massively suspenseful the entire time. Now, we do have some suspenseful scenes in there, but largely we remember it as entertaining. Anywhere from our amusement at Waltz's apparent distaste for the way Candie treats his slaves, to Sam Jackson's amazing black hating house butler. Even the ending...which could have been highly suspenseful ends a bit tongue in cheek when Candie demands for a hand shake and we all know what is likely to come next.

The thread is about OLD FILMS or are you as dopey as sealybobo and can't read properly?

You and sealybobo start your own thread about NEW FILMS.

Edited for spelling error WTF?!
When you start a thread asking why people don't watch old films don't get all pissy when people answer your question or start talking about why we don't watch them.

That was a good example of a suspenseful scene in a Tarantino movie, I agree...however the tension was immediately relieved at the end of the scene when, instead of perhaps brooding or chasing after the girl, Colonel Hans fires an errant shot and then glibly yells something to the likes of (its been a while since I've seen the movie so I can't directly quote it), "Au Revoir. Shoshanna" letting the audience kinda know that she is home free.

Tarantino does have suspenseful scenes, like the one you noted or maybe the one in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis and the black guy are captured by the homosexual rapists...but he doesn't have suspenseful movies...he either kills the tension at the end of the scene or keeps it from building by distracting / entertaining the audience during what would normally be a highly suspenseful situation. I mean when was the last time you saw a Tarantino movie that had you on the edge of your seat really concerned for a certain person or group of people throughout the film, focusing almost exclusively upon their predicament (Reservoir Dogs is the only movie I've seen from him that even comes close to this)? I mean if you take Django Unchained...the entire trip to Candyland could have been massively suspenseful the entire time. Now, we do have some suspenseful scenes in there, but largely we remember it as entertaining. Anywhere from our amusement at Waltz's apparent distaste for the way Candie treats his slaves, to Sam Jackson's amazing black hating house butler. Even the ending...which could have been highly suspenseful ends a bit tongue in cheek when Candie demands for a hand shake and we all know what is likely to come next.

The thread is about OLD FILMS or are you as dopey as sealybobo and can't read properly?

When you start a thread asking why people don't watch old films don't get all pissy when people answer your question or start talking about why we don't watch them.

Well nearly every post is about old films, also from my OP, I copy and paste what I wrote:

"Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself."

I think mid-thread we'd established, when asked where films from the 1980s considered old films and I said yes as I was born in 1990, so any film pre-then to me is considered an old film, although not generally what's classified as old ie. black and white.

Well nearly every post is about old films, also from my OP, I copy and paste what I wrote:

"Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself."

I think mid-thread we'd established, when asked where films from the 1980s considered old films and I said yes as I was born in 1990, so any film pre-then to me is considered an old film, although not generally what's classified as old ie. black and white.
And for the record I love old films, even the slow ones. They remind me of my childhood.

There's a reason though why they don't make movies like they used to

Its called suspense
Yea well I want to see shocking or eventful scenes. Not 1:45 slow and last 15 minutes good. In tarantino there's suspense too but something interesting is happening in every scene.

The only suspense in a Tarantino movie, usually, is wondering who's going to bleed next

I only really like "Reservoir Dogs".

Here's a monumentally brilliant British film "Dead of Night" made in 1945 with Mervyn Johns and Michael Redgrave, it's a Portmanteau film, comprised of four stories with a central Supernatural theme running through, it's directed by Alberto Calvalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden and Robert Hamer.

Dead of Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't unearth the original trailer, but this is from The New York Times Critics' Picks, they of course love the film, as does Martin Scorsese I might add, they describe it as "obscure", perhaps in America it is, but here in Europa "Dead Of Night" is very well known as a piece of cinematic wonder and a complete work of art:

Its called suspense

Here's a monumentally brilliant British film "Dead of Night" made in 1945 with Mervyn Johns and Michael Redgrave, it's a Portmanteau film, comprised of four stories with a central Supernatural theme running through, it's directed by Alberto Calvalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden and Robert Hamer.

I can't unearth the original trailer, but this is from The New York Times Critics' Picks, they of course love the film, as does Martin Scorsese I might add, they describe it as "obscure", perhaps in America it is, but here in Europa "Dead Of Night" is very well known as a piece of cinematic wonder and a complete work of art:

How does it end? Don't worry about spoiling it we are way beyond that.

Its called suspense

"Dead Of Night" is available on Amazon, but it's a European import, so you'll have to have a Multi-Region player to watch it, if you have one, I 100% recommend you buy this film.

The reviews naturally are all good, except for the usual two idiots, there's always two no matter what stuff is getting reviewed.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GDEZMFU/?tag=ff0d01-20

Last edited:
Its called suspense

How does it end? Don't worry about spoiling it we are way beyond that.

It was all a dream....and it's a genuinely frightening film.

Great comedy.

I didn't even realize it was a comedy so I certainly wouldn't classify it as great.

Cary grant made me nervous. Remember the one where his aunt's were killing old men?

Its called suspense

I'm a big fan of Tarantino, but I agree...I don't really find any of his movies suspenseful...entertaining and witty? Yes. Suspenseful? No. Tarantino doesn't really let you get introspective and wondering what will happen to the characters...he keeps you engaged with the dialogue and action in his films. An example would be the cellar scene from Inglorious Bastards. I mean there you have that point where the German officer calls out the British spy while playing their drinking games. However, were you really sitting on the edge of your seat biting your fingernails with your heart beating wondering how things will turn out? Or, were you entertained by the witty point where the German officer likened the story of King Kong to that of the African American slave? He doesn't tend to give you a lot of time to think and get tuned up with the suspense...he keeps you engaged from moment to moment. It isn't a bad thing at all...but it isn't suspenseful either.

Arsenic and old Lace?

Classic

and the actors perfect for their roles

Don't think I've ever seen that one.
Know the title?

I've seen some old movies that I liked, but also some boring ones. Of course, older people are most likely going to prefer the movies that THEY grew up with, and younger people most often prefer the movies that they grew up with. Same goes with music. Lol.

If you are a younger person and you were exposed to a lot of older movies and developed an appreciation for them, then you are going to like them. A lot of older people also enjoy newer movies. It is very subjective, just like music.

Great comedy.

Its called suspense

Arsenic and old Lace?

Classic

and the actors perfect for their roles

Don't think I've ever seen that one.
Know the title?
The second one isn't old. I think it was inglorious bastards

Figures.

Didn't bother watching it.

From the ads, all flash, no meat

In case you missed it, this tangent discussion actually occurred when directly contrasting Hitchcock (a classic "old film" director) and Tarantino (a "new film" director). Even more specifically we were discussing the object of suspense where Hitchcock is famously known as a master of building in his movies and Tarantino, a new director who sealybobo noted as thinking that he was suspenseful.

We were directly examining a new and old director and debating the merits of building suspense (or not) between different outlooks on how to build their movies. Now, admittedly, I'm far more familiar with Tarantino's work (I only haven't seen his most recent film and "Jackie Brown") while it has been a long time since I've seen a Hitchcock film and I've only seen a couple (Psycho and The Birds are the only ones off the top of my head), so I choose to chose my specific debate points more aimed based off of Tarantino's work and specific films and a broad understanding of Hitchcock rather than the reverse. You are more than welcome to defend Hitchcock based off of your specific knowledge of the subject and why you feel he is a better "master of suspense" than Tarantino.

At the end of the the day though, why are you really so angry about people talking passionately about films...in general...in your thread anyways?

Tarantino=instant gratification, 'Slam Bam Thank You Ma'am'

Hitchcock= extensive foreplay resulting in overpowering orgasm

In case you missed it, this tangent discussion actually occurred when directly contrasting Hitchcock (a classic "old film" director) and Tarantino (a "new film" director). Even more specifically we were discussing the object of suspense where Hitchcock is famously known as a master of building in his movies and Tarantino, a new director who sealybobo noted as thinking that he was suspenseful.

We were directly examining a new and old director and debating the merits of building suspense (or not) between different outlooks on how to build their movies. Now, admittedly, I'm far more familiar with Tarantino's work (I only haven't seen his most recent film and "Jackie Brown") while it has been a long time since I've seen a Hitchcock film and I've only seen a couple (Psycho and The Birds are the only ones off the top of my head), so I choose to chose my specific debate points more aimed based off of Tarantino's work and specific films and a broad understanding of Hitchcock rather than the reverse. You are more than welcome to defend Hitchcock based off of your specific knowledge of the subject and why you feel he is a better "master of suspense" than Tarantino.

At the end of the the day though, why are you really so angry about people talking passionately about films...in general...in your thread anyways?
Why is it young people don't love these old movies? Every kid knows wizard of Oz and Indiana Jones and back to the future or god fathers or goodfellas but I've never seen a man for all seasons, an American in Paris Marty, Gigi, Tom Jones, the apartment, can't take it with you, Rebecca, Mrs miniver, going my way, the lost weekend, best yrs of our lives, all about Eve, cimarron, grand hotel, cavalcade, it happened one night, life of Emile Zola.

I've never seen any of these movies and they all won best picture. Would I even enjoy these movies? Then why don't they play them on TV? I suspect they are all slow and boring.

But I loved Lawrence of Arabia

Why is it young people don't love these old movies? Every kid knows wizard of Oz and Indiana Jones and back to the future or god fathers or goodfellas but I've never seen a man for all seasons, an American in Paris Marty, Gigi, Tom Jones, the apartment, can't take it with you, Rebecca, Mrs miniver, going my way, the lost weekend, best yrs of our lives, all about Eve, cimarron, grand hotel, cavalcade, it happened one night, life of Emile Zola.

I've never seen any of these movies and they all won best picture. Would I even enjoy these movies? Then why don't they play them on TV? I suspect they are all slow and boring.

But I loved Lawrence of Arabia

I've seen all, or most, of those movies on TCM within the last year

Tarantino=instant gratification, 'Slam Bam Thank You Ma'am'

Hitchcock= extensive foreplay resulting in overpowering orgasm
I bet you like m Knight shamalamadingdong

who/what?
His movies there's always a ghost alien monster or something out there but you never see it till the end. M Knight shamalan.

I would watch those movies if I had TCM. My cable had AMC not TCM and now I have free antenna and I don't have netflicks. I'm just wondering why in 45 years I haven't seen so many of these best pictures. And some of the ones I did see I didn't love.

Is Shawshank a best pic? Now that's a great movie.

I think a lot of the movies I don't love are dramas or light-hearted comedies. Cary grant isn't that funny and his movies can be presumptuous.

Don't get me wrong I still like these movies on a rainy Saturday or Sunday.

Remember Dagwood and Blondie?

Forum List

Back