Why don't people watch films?

and only 3 people showed up at his funeral, One being long time costar Emmett Lynn.

and yes, I know he was the voice of Mr Ed

"Double Indemnity" made in 1944 with Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson and Porter Hall and directed by Billy Wilder, the screenplay written by Wilder and Raymond Chandler....the novel was written by James M. Cain who also wrote "The Postman Always Rings Twice"

Double Indemnity (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer:

"The Postman Always Rings Twice" made in 1946 with Lana Turner, John Garfield, Cecil Kellaway and Leon Ames and directed by Tay Garnett.

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

I'll bite. Most old films are trash. The majority of them have ham acting, relatively simple plots, or plots that (while original at the time) have been re-hashed so many times to this day (and, oftentimes, improved upon) as to feel like watching a shell of a film rather than an involving piece of art. I'd say that a modern example would be the "Dances with Wolves" plotline. Which was rehashed in both "The Last Samurai" and "Avatar"...which, I'd argue, are both superior films to "Dances with Wolves" when taken side-by-side instead of taken in context to the period they were produced in.

Now, I am not saying that all old films are trash (I said "most" not "all"). There are some greats that still hold up today...my personal favorites are probably "Casablanca" and "Seven Samurai". However, most old films I watch come off as fake, unnatural, or just plain unenjoyable.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

I love old westerns but these kinds of old movies are just too slow.

I'd love to watch this entire movie and give you my review. What channel do you find these?

I'd love to watch this entire movie and give you my review. What channel do you find these?

Well they're all on You Tube, the two in my OP. The channels, as I'm not in America, I'm not familiar with what channels you have that show old films.

Will, Tom Horn and MaryL might be able to help you with this.

TCM

TCM

Today I watched wanted dead or alive gunsmoke bonanze big valley rawhide. This channel I have plays these every Saturday.

But most old movies are very slow and boring.

Compare Hitchcock to tarantino. Lots of great scenes throughout quintons movies but Alfred's movies are all dull until the end. Know what I mean?

Its called suspense
Yea well I want to see shocking or eventful scenes. Not 1:45 slow and last 15 minutes good. In tarantino there's suspense too but something interesting is happening in every scene.

I have another great movie. True romance

The only suspense in a Tarantino movie, usually, is wondering who's going to bleed next

Its called suspense
Yea well I want to see shocking or eventful scenes. Not 1:45 slow and last 15 minutes good. In tarantino there's suspense too but something interesting is happening in every scene.

The only suspense in a Tarantino movie, usually, is wondering who's going to bleed next
I'll give you a great example of a slow boring old movie that i hated when i watched it. Bringing up Baby. Boring.

Cary Grant, Kate Hepburn, with a tame leopard?

Great comedy.

Especially when Kate drags the wild leopard into the police station

Its called suspense

I'm a big fan of Tarantino, but I agree...I don't really find any of his movies suspenseful...entertaining and witty? Yes. Suspenseful? No. Tarantino doesn't really let you get introspective and wondering what will happen to the characters...he keeps you engaged with the dialogue and action in his films. An example would be the cellar scene from Inglorious Bastards. I mean there you have that point where the German officer calls out the British spy while playing their drinking games. However, were you really sitting on the edge of your seat biting your fingernails with your heart beating wondering how things will turn out? Or, were you entertained by the witty point where the German officer likened the story of King Kong to that of the African American slave? He doesn't tend to give you a lot of time to think and get tuned up with the suspense...he keeps you engaged from moment to moment. It isn't a bad thing at all...but it isn't suspenseful either.

Great comedy.

I didn't even realize it was a comedy so I certainly wouldn't classify it as great.

Cary grant made me nervous. Remember the one where his aunt's were killing old men?

I appreciate these movies but I'm glad movies have come a long way.

Today the closest thing we have to these old
Its called suspense

I'm a big fan of Tarantino, but I agree...I don't really find any of his movies suspenseful...entertaining and witty? Yes. Suspenseful? No. Tarantino doesn't really let you get introspective and wondering what will happen to the characters...he keeps you engaged with the dialogue and action in his films. An example would be the cellar scene from Inglorious Bastards. I mean there you have that point where the German officer calls out the British spy while playing their drinking games. However, were you really sitting on the edge of your seat biting your fingernails with your heart beating wondering how things will turn out? Or, were you entertained by the witty point where the German officer likened the story of King Kong to that of the African American slave? He doesn't tend to give you a lot of time to think and get tuned up with the suspense...he keeps you engaged from moment to moment. It isn't a bad thing at all...but it isn't suspenseful either.
How about when the German officer is questioning the family hiding the Jews in the cellar?

How about when the German officer is questioning the family hiding the Jews in the cellar?
That was a good example of a suspenseful scene in a Tarantino movie, I agree...however the tension was immediately relieved at the end of the scene when, instead of perhaps brooding or chasing after the girl, Colonel Hans fires an errant shot and then glibly yells something to the likes of (its been a while since I've seen the movie so I can't directly quote it), "Au Revoir. Shoshanna" letting the audience kinda know that she is home free.

Tarantino does have suspenseful scenes, like the one you noted or maybe the one in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis and the black guy are captured by the homosexual rapists...but he doesn't have suspenseful movies...he either kills the tension at the end of the scene or keeps it from building by distracting / entertaining the audience during what would normally be a highly suspenseful situation. I mean when was the last time you saw a Tarantino movie that had you on the edge of your seat really concerned for a certain person or group of people throughout the film, focusing almost exclusively upon their predicament (Reservoir Dogs is the only movie I've seen from him that even comes close to this)? I mean if you take Django Unchained...the entire trip to Candyland could have been massively suspenseful the entire time. Now, we do have some suspenseful scenes in there, but largely we remember it as entertaining. Anywhere from our amusement at Waltz's apparent distaste for the way Candie treats his slaves, to Sam Jackson's amazing black hating house butler. Even the ending...which could have been highly suspenseful ends a bit tongue in cheek when Candie demands for a hand shake and we all know what is likely to come next.

Great comedy.

I didn't even realize it was a comedy so I certainly wouldn't classify it as great.

Cary grant made me nervous. Remember the one where his aunt's were killing old men?

Its called suspense

:rolleyes-41:

I'll have to think of a film that is in similar bad taste for Americans....I'm sure there's a graphic one that shows Americans incinerating Japanese women and children or committing mass slaughter of Native Americans....or incinerating Vietnamese children with Napalm.

I'll think of one and post the trailer so you can enjoy it.

Also this thread is about OLD FILMS, you've already stated you're not a fan of OLD FILMS, so start your own thread about NEW FILMS, instead of disrupting my thread.

Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:
That was a good example of a suspenseful scene in a Tarantino movie, I agree...however the tension was immediately relieved at the end of the scene when, instead of perhaps brooding or chasing after the girl, Colonel Hans fires an errant shot and then glibly yells something to the likes of (its been a while since I've seen the movie so I can't directly quote it), "Au Revoir. Shoshanna" letting the audience kinda know that she is home free.

Tarantino does have suspenseful scenes, like the one you noted or maybe the one in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis and the black guy are captured by the homosexual rapists...but he doesn't have suspenseful movies...he either kills the tension at the end of the scene or keeps it from building by distracting / entertaining the audience during what would normally be a highly suspenseful situation. I mean when was the last time you saw a Tarantino movie that had you on the edge of your seat really concerned for a certain person or group of people throughout the film, focusing almost exclusively upon their predicament (Reservoir Dogs is the only movie I've seen from him that even comes close to this)? I mean if you take Django Unchained...the entire trip to Candyland could have been massively suspenseful the entire time. Now, we do have some suspenseful scenes in there, but largely we remember it as entertaining. Anywhere from our amusement at Waltz's apparent distaste for the way Candie treats his slaves, to Sam Jackson's amazing black hating house butler. Even the ending...which could have been highly suspenseful ends a bit tongue in cheek when Candie demands for a hand shake and we all know what is likely to come next.

The thread is about OLD FILMS or are you as dopey as sealybobo and can't read properly?

You and sealybobo start your own thread about NEW FILMS.

Edited for spelling error WTF?!

Last edited:

Great comedy.

I love "Bringing Up Baby", one of the complete gems, Howard Hawks a great director....also Charlie Ruggles as Major Horace Applegate, the big game hunter is a wonderful performance.

I'll bite. Most old films are trash. The majority of them have ham acting, relatively simple plots, or plots that (while original at the time) have been re-hashed so many times to this day (and, oftentimes, improved upon) as to feel like watching a shell of a film rather than an involving piece of art. I'd say that a modern example would be the "Dances with Wolves" plotline. Which was rehashed in both "The Last Samurai" and "Avatar"...which, I'd argue, are both superior films to "Dances with Wolves" when taken side-by-side instead of taken in context to the period they were produced in.

Now, I am not saying that all old films are trash (I said "most" not "all"). There are some greats that still hold up today...my personal favorites are probably "Casablanca" and "Seven Samurai". However, most old films I watch come off as fake, unnatural, or just plain unenjoyable.

"Most old films are trash."

So WHY are you posting in a thread that's about OLD FILMS then?

Great comedy.

Its called suspense

:rolleyes-41:

I'll have to think of a film that is in similar bad taste for Americans....I'm sure there's a graphic one that shows Americans incinerating Japanese women and children or committing mass slaughter of Native Americans....or incinerating Vietnamese children with Napalm.

I'll think of one and post the trailer so you can enjoy it.

Also this thread is about OLD FILMS, you've already stated you're not a fan of OLD FILMS, so start your own thread about NEW FILMS, instead of disrupting my thread.

Edited for spelling error.
I was simply telling you why I don't enjoy some/a lot of old movies but I do appreciate old movies and would like to continue being a part of the conversation.

Forum List

Back