Why don't people watch films?

Barely

Blondie, (Penny Singleton) was cute, and worth watching, but Dagwood, (Arthur Lake) was a little weak to my thinking.

Want to see a great old movie? James Stewart the man who shot liberty valence

One of my favorite Wayne movies.

and you didn't know til almost the very end that Wayne shot Lee.

YOU were lead to believe, up to the convention, that Jimmy did.

I also love any Western with Clint, Kirk Douglas, Glenn Ford, Randolf Scott, Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster, Lee marvin, Lee van cleef, William Holden, Robert mitchum James gardner, Greg peck, Audie Murphy or charles bronson and I left a few out

I also love any Western with Clint, Kirk Douglas, Glenn Ford, Randolf Scott, Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster, Lee marvin, Lee van cleef, William Holden, Robert mitchum James gardner, Greg peck, Audie Murphy or charles bronson and I left a few out

There's only a handful of Westerns I like, I think the greatest Western is Sergio Leone's "Once Upon A Time In The West", I've already posted about that film in this thread and included clips of the entire extraordinary opening sequence.

I also like "High Plains Drifter" made in 1973 with Clint Eastwood, Verna Bloom, Mitchell Ryan and John Hillerman and directed by Clint Eastwood.

High Plains Drifter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer:

Its called suspense
Yea well I want to see shocking or eventful scenes. Not 1:45 slow and last 15 minutes good. In tarantino there's suspense too but something interesting is happening in every scene.

I have another great movie. True romance

The only suspense in a Tarantino movie, usually, is wondering who's going to bleed next

If people want a film with a high bleed count....there's the brilliant "Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia"

The kill count is 25, 14 of them alone shot by Warren Oates, a magnificent actor.

"Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia" made in 1974 with Warren Oates, Isela Vega, Robert Webber and Gig Young and directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the original trailer.

Blood in a western?

the Wild Bunch

"The Bride of Frankenstein" made in 1935 with Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger, Elsa Lanchester, Gavin Gordon and E. E. Clive and directed by James Whale, a brilliant director, the film is a masterpiece of cinema.

Bride of Frankenstein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Invisible Man" made in 1933 with Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan, Henry Travers, Una O'Connor and E. E. Clive and directed by James Whale, again the film is a masterpiece of cinema.

The special effects were revolutionary:

"The film is known for its clever and groundbreaking visual effects by John P. Fulton, John J. Mescall and Frank D. Williams, whose work is often credited for the success of the film. When the Invisible Man had no clothes on, the effect was achieved through the use of wires, but when he had some of his clothes on or was taking his clothes off, the effect was achieved by shooting Claude Rains in a completely black velvet suit against a black velvet background and then combining this shot with another shot of the location the scene took place in using a matte process. Claude Rains was claustrophobic and it was hard to breathe through the suit. Consequently, the work was especially difficult for him, and a double, who was somewhat shorter than Rains, was sometimes used.

The effect of Rains seeming to disappear was created by making a head and body cast of the actor, from which a mask was made. The mask was then photographed against a specially prepared background, and the film was treated in the laboratory to complete the effect."

The Invisible Man (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
Blood in a western?

the Wild Bunch

"The Bride of Frankenstein" made in 1935 with Boris Karloff, Colin Clive, Valerie Hobson, Ernest Thesiger, Elsa Lanchester, Gavin Gordon and E. E. Clive and directed by James Whale, a brilliant director, the film is a masterpiece of cinema.

"The Invisible Man" made in 1933 with Claude Rains, Gloria Stuart, William Harrigan, Henry Travers, Una O'Connor and E. E. Clive and directed by James Whale, again the film is a masterpiece of cinema.

"The film is known for its clever and groundbreaking visual effects by John P. Fulton, John J. Mescall and Frank D. Williams, whose work is often credited for the success of the film. When the Invisible Man had no clothes on, the effect was achieved through the use of wires, but when he had some of his clothes on or was taking his clothes off, the effect was achieved by shooting Claude Rains in a completely black velvet suit against a black velvet background and then combining this shot with another shot of the location the scene took place in using a matte process. Claude Rains was claustrophobic and it was hard to breathe through the suit. Consequently, the work was especially difficult for him, and a double, who was somewhat shorter than Rains, was sometimes used.

The effect of Rains seeming to disappear was created by making a head and body cast of the actor, from which a mask was made. The mask was then photographed against a specially prepared background, and the film was treated in the laboratory to complete the effect."

Edited to add comment.

I loved loved loved when Abbott & Costello met the invisible man, dracular, wolfman, etc. That was the best!

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

"I Married A Witch" made in 1942 with Fredric March, Veronica Lake, Susan Hayward, Cecil Kellaway and Robert Benchley and directed by René Clair.

I Married a Witch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blood in a western?

the Wild Bunch

Edited to add comment.

I loved loved loved when Abbott & Costello met the invisible man, dracular, wolfman, etc. That was the best!

Hey sealybobo here's two great political thriller films that I recommend, that's if you've not watched them before.

"The Parallax View" made in 1974 with Warren Beatty, Hume Cronyn, William Daniels and Paula Prentiss and directed by Alan J. Pakula.

The Parallax View - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Three Days Of The Condor" made in 1975 with Robert Redford, Faye Dunaway, Cliff Robertson, Max von Sydow and directed by Sydney Pollack.

Three Days of the Condor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lucy---

Please talk to me. I just got here and you're upset with what I shoud have done or didn't do.

Dhara

Barely

Blondie, (Penny Singleton) was cute, and worth watching, but Dagwood, (Arthur Lake) was a little weak to my thinking.

"Dinner At Eight" made in 1933 with Jean Harlow, Billie Burke, Edmund Lowe, Lionel Barrymore, Wallace Berry,
Marie Dressler and Lee Tracy and directed by George Cukor.

A brilliant film and pre-Hays Code.

Dinner at Eight (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best scene in the movie

Barely

"Dinner At Eight" made in 1933 with Jean Harlow, Billie Burke, Edmund Lowe, Lionel Barrymore, Wallace Berry,

"Grand Hotel" made in 1932 with John Barrymore, Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Lionel Barrymore and Wallace Beery and directed by Edmund Goulding.

This is a masterpiece of cinema, again pre-Hays Code.

Grand Hotel (1932 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Barely

Best scene in the movie

Genius :thup:

"Kiss Of Death" made in 1947 with Victor Mature, Richard Widmark, Coleen Gray, Brian Donlevy and Karl Malden and directed by Henry Hathaway.

This film was Richard Widmark's film debut, he plays the completely psychotic Tommy Udo.

Kiss of Death (1947 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Richard Widmark as Tommy Udo.

Why don't people specifically watch more old films? I love them myself.

I've decided to choose two, one a perhaps little known, but wonderful British murder/mystery film from 1952 "Mr. Denning Drives North". It's okay the link doesn't give any of plot away:

Mr. Denning Drives North - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's the full film, 1 hour 27 minutes:

Then as I love Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, as Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. I think "Sherlock Holmes and The House of Fear" from 1945 is excellent and very atmospheric.

Here's the full film, 1 hour 9 minutes:

If you watch these films, hopefully you'll like them.

Forum List

Back