Why does the US OPEN (Tennis) compete with the NFL every year?

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Here is a question. Every year, the US Open finishes on the opening week of the NFL. Now, what kind of ratings are they expecting to draw?

IF the US Open only started one week before, and IF the finals finished the week BEFORE the NFL opening week, they would certainly draw higher ratings.

There is only ONE tennis grand slam event in the United States, unlike golf whose 3 of their 4 majors are in in the US.

So, the ONE grand slam event in tennis, where they are showcasing their best, it falls on this week?

One of the more boring weekends in sports is the weekend BEFORE the week one in the NFL. Yes, there is college football on Saturday. Ok, fine. However, there is nothing really going on on the Sunday before week 1 in the NFL.

What, would be that hard to adjust that?

Last edited:
I was at a bar and they were showing the Open before the Thursday night game. Or maybe highlights I don't know.

Anyways people complained that they were showing that over the Pregame show and they changed the channel lol.

In all fairness, the NFL pregame shows draw higher ratings, than really anything else in sports. Yes, that week 1 pregame draws highers ratings than the NBA finals, or the World Series.

Unrelated, I think it is funny how there are those that say all of the rule changes is the reason the popularity of the NFL. Well, that is a fallacy. If the rules were the same as they were in the 70s, it would still be as popular. There is no way to know that, but I am assuming that based on soccer. Soccer is still the most popular game in the world, and soccer has never really made a rule change.

All of these insidious rule changes where the defensive back is not allowed to graze a WR after 5 yards in order to encourage more passing pisses me off. If anything it really takes away from the appreciation of passing. It has become too easy for the quarterbacks, and they are turning the game into something that is closer to the Arena Football League.

The answer is simple:

Watching the Tranny Sisters, Venus and Sunset Williams, really gets some weirdos off more than tight ends and wide receivers.

Forum List

Back