Why does the left think the government can create jobs?

DUMB BOND HOLDERS?
and people wonder why there are no jobs, no one is investing a penny?

LOL! Yes, dumb bondholders.

By the way explain to us who find you amazing and enjoy reading you threads, why would 1 job dis appear?

if the company's capital is put to rest, the labor that works that capital is put to rest as well.

People would stop buying cars because the UAW collapsed?
I dont think so

Well, yes -they would stop buying GM Cars. They would start buying cars from companies based in Japan and Europe, made with parts made in China. But of course the price of cars would increase.

Is it amazing that we go from a subject about how the left thinks the US govt can create a job to the UAW robbing the tax payers blind and that a credit default swap is some-how the US governments fault

And we wonder how BHO got elected

Lets try this again. How did bailing out the UAW save one job? People would keep buying cars and trucks, just not from GM and Chrysler
Hmmmmmm
We have had 3 trillion dollars in borrowed money thrown at this economy by Obama and the dems who had control of congress in 30 months
we have 6 million fewer jobs now than then

Do you really want 4 more years of this?

Oh, I was hoping you would post that! Thanks. Now let's review, shall we:

The US Taxpayer (that's you!) stepped in to fund the company. The company, mind you, not the people dumb enough to hold the company's equity.

US taxpayer funds were distributed in order to ensure that over a million jobs didn't disappear, not in order to ensure that people dumb enough to hold the company's debt could be made whole. The courts owe the debt holders nothing - and if the debt holders felt they were illegally harmed they could get in line in court (a short line, as it turns out).

US taxpayer funds were put forth to ensure that the company was able to continue producing cars. Paying off dumb debt holders doesn't secure a job, doesn't keep the company competitive and doesn't help stave off the chain-reaction collapse of so many suppliers.

The UAW exchanged debt for equity, which kept it's employees closer to whole. Common debt holders exchanged debt for equity at a lower rate - which makes sense because they don't have the same stake in the company.

And what gives the Obama Administration the right to change the order in which creditors get paid? What makes private debt holders any "dumber" than unions for holding that debt?

They're not dumber. They have less leverage.

Why should private debt holders be compensated at a greatly reduced rate than the unions?

I explained that in the previous post. The taxpayer money pumped into GM was not put there to make investors whole. It was put there to save the company.

There are laws in existence to protect the rights of investors. When those laws are tossed away

Those laws were not tossed away. That's why the line of bondholders filing suit has zero people in it.

true...no law was broken.

But what was done set a very dangerous precedent.

Investors will be less likely to invest in a company and spur its growth as it is now understood that being a secured debt holder means nothing.

Being a secured debt holder allows you to analyze an investment as you can get a general idea of your lowest ROI if things dont pan out well.

what do you mean the UAW exchanged debt for equity?

I'm not sure what you mean by that , exactly - the UAW exchanged its GM Debt (unsecured claims) for GM equity. Or maybe I didn't understand your question.

I was questioning what you meant when you said "the UAW exchanged debt for equity".

What you left out of your analysis...and by no means did I ignore the accuracy of what you said....

1) the reward to the UAW was the influx of capital saved the jobs of the employees

I know! That's my point amigo. I am far more interested in putting my taxpayer money towards protecting the productive sector of the economy, where people actually make stuff and create value, than I am in artificially making investors whole by transferring my money to them.

2) Those that financed the company and were pushed in the back of the line lost out on what they would get if GM went Bankrupt...a certain percentage on their investment when all assets were liquidated.

GM DID go bankrupt. And common debt holders got a portion of their investment. And equity holders were wiped out. And the employees kept their jobs, as did the employees of all their suppliers.

DUMB BOND HOLDERS?
and people wonder why there are no jobs, no one is investing a penny?

LOL! Yes, dumb bondholders.

By the way explain to us who find you amazing and enjoy reading you threads, why would 1 job dis appear?

if the company's capital is put to rest, the labor that works that capital is put to rest as well.

People would stop buying cars because the UAW collapsed?
I dont think so

Well, yes -they would stop buying GM Cars. They would start buying cars from companies based in Japan and Europe, made with parts made in China. But of course the price of cars would increase.

Toyota builds there cars and trucks here, non union
Honda, same
in fact your no different in buying a Toyota than a GM as far as the labor and parts go except for it being built non union, non tax payer funded, profit making company
Or you could buy a ford

Before the repeal "depository institution were not allowed to put deposits at risk outside the money market"?
Which non money market investments caused the crisis?
Mortgage-backed securities and synthetic credit default swaps, among others.

This conversation would move a bit faster if you actually made a point instead of offering a quiz.

Mortgage backed securities weren't allowed under Glass-Steagall?

oh bejeebers, just once could you try making a point instead of asking me questions?

Yes, MBS's were allowed under Glass Steagall. Depository institutions were not allowed to invest in them. That seemed rather obvious....

You know that derivatives are zero sum, right?

No, actually - i don't know that. When your capital ratios are based on the value of a swap, then the derivative is not zero sum - especially when the largest banks were given permission to cut their capital ratios in half.

My point is lots of people think Glass-Steagall would have prevented the crisis.
So far I haven't seen a single person prove it.

I'm not "lots of people" and I never said GS would have prevented the crisis. Lets' review what I actually said before we started playing 20 Questions:

Financial institutions had already found ways around GS, but with GS in effect the major depository institutions wouldn't have faced such steep declines in capital when the financial markets collapsed. They would have been hurting for certain, but the scope of the problem in standard banks would have been smaller.

of course, the investment banks would have still been fried.

I'm not sure what you mean by that , exactly - the UAW exchanged its GM Debt (unsecured claims) for GM equity. Or maybe I didn't understand your question.

I was questioning what you meant when you said "the UAW exchanged debt for equity".

What you left out of your analysis...and by no means did I ignore the accuracy of what you said....

1) the reward to the UAW was the influx of capital saved the jobs of the employees

I know! That's my point amigo. I am far more interested in putting my taxpayer money towards protecting the productive sector of the economy, where people actually make stuff and create value, than I am in artificially making investors whole by transferring my money to them.

2) Those that financed the company and were pushed in the back of the line lost out on what they would get if GM went Bankrupt...a certain percentage on their investment when all assets were liquidated.

GM DID go bankrupt. And common debt holders got a portion of their investment. And equity holders were wiped out. And the employees kept their jobs, as did the employees of all their suppliers.

and the secured debt holders were put to the back of the line.

So tell me.....who wants to be a secured debt holder?

It set a very dnagerous precedent.

:lol:

The senate dems blocked the GOPs bills that would have helped.

Also the dems control the senate and the white house so no one on the right in the govt can "force" them to do anything.

Don't get all hackish on me dude! Lets stay on topic ;).

Which bills would those be, specifically? The GOP (Cantor, Boehner) stated they would NOT work on any additional legislation until Obama extended the Bush era tax cuts for the wealthy, I mean "job creators"....yes?

Sorry about the delay.

here you go

Review of Federal Regulations
H.Res. 72 - Passed the House (391-28) on February 11, 2011

The Reducing Regulatory Burdens Act
H.R. 872 - Senate has taken no action to date

The Energy Tax Prevention Act
H.R. 910 - Senate has taken no action to date

Disapproval of FCC's Net Neutrality Regulations
H.J.Res. 37 - Senate has taken no action to date

The Clean Water Cooperative Federalism Act
H.R. 2018 - Senate has taken no action to date

Consumer Financial Protection & Soundness Improvement Act
H.R. 1315 - Senate has taken no action to date

Protecting Jobs From Government Interference Act
H.R. 2587 - Senate has taken no action to date

Transparency In Regulatory Analysis Of Impacts On The Nation
H.R. 2401 - Senate has taken no action to date

Cement Sector Regulatory Relief Act
H.R. 2681 - Passed the House (262-161) on October 6, 2011

Restarting American Offshore Leasing Now Act
H.R. 1230 - Senate has taken no action to date

Putting the Gulf of Mexico Back to Work Act
H.R. 1229 - Senate has taken no action to date

Reversing President Obama’s Offshore Moratorium Act
H.R. 1231 - Senate has taken no action to date

The Jobs and Energy Permitting Act of 2011
H.R. 2021 - Senate has taken no action to date

North American-Made Energy Security Act
H.R. 1938 - Senate has taken no action to date

Budget for Fiscal Year 2012
H.Con.Res. 34 - Senate has not yet considered a budget of its own

what do you mean the UAW exchanged debt for equity?

Now bear in mind...when people infused captial into GM, it was an investment made knowing the risk....and the risk they analyzed the investment with, was increased dramatically when they were put at the back of the line.

(risk referring to "least return on investment")

I should add: For what it's worth, I wasn't happy with how the GM bailout / bankruptcy went down. I just don't find it to be the corrupt, illegal buyout that some do. It was a bad deal perhaps, but it was legal.

This conversation would move a bit faster if you actually made a point instead of offering a quiz.

oh bejeebers, just once could you try making a point instead of asking me questions?

Yes, MBS's were allowed under Glass Steagall. Depository institutions were not allowed to invest in them. That seemed rather obvious....

No, actually - i don't know that. When your capital ratios are based on the value of a swap, then the derivative is not zero sum - especially when the largest banks were given permission to cut their capital ratios in half.

My point is lots of people think Glass-Steagall would have prevented the crisis.

I'm not "lots of people" and I never said GS would have prevented the crisis. Lets' review what I actually said before we started playing 20 Questions:

Financial institutions had already found ways around GS, but with GS in effect the major depository institutions wouldn't have faced such steep declines in capital when the financial markets collapsed. They would have been hurting for certain, but the scope of the problem in standard banks would have been smaller.

Just an FYI....

Those who use this board properly ask questions so they can have a better understanding of the thought process of their debate opponent.

Thus why I asked what you meant by something.

Carry on.....

Honda, same
in fact your no different in buying a Toyota than a GM as far as the labor and parts go except for it being built non union, non tax payer funded, profit making company
Or you could buy a ford

Take a look at a list of cars by origin of their parts and see who leads it:

The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com

For those keeping score at home, the top four and seven out of ten are American. Look, you can drive a foreign car all you want (and I do!) but lets not act like the direct return to the US economy is as high with a foreign car.

Just an FYI....

Those who use this board properly ask questions so they can have a better understanding of the thought process of their debate opponent.

Carry on.....

Oh, I understand that Jarhead. The person with whom I was conversing (is that what it's called on a message board?) had asked a series of five or six consecutive questions without making a comment - at some point, it's helpful to actually get to one's point. The questions were clearly meant to steer the conversation (or somehow prove that I didn't know what I was talking about, which didn't work out:)) )

Banks didn't own Fannie or Freddie bonds before 1999?
Or plain vanilla mortgages?
I suspect you're mistaken.

No, actually - i don't know that.
Really? When I write a call option, the buyer doesn't mirror my gain or loss? I make $100, he loses $100. Pretty basic stuff.[/quote]
When your capital ratios are based on the value of a swap, then the derivative is not zero sum - especially when the largest banks were given permission to cut their capital ratios in half.

Just an FYI....

Carry on.....

Oh, I understand that Jarhead. The person with whom I was conversing (is that what it's called on a message board?) had asked a series of five or six consecutive questions without making a comment - at some point, it's helpful to actually get to one's point. The questions were clearly meant to steer the conversation (or somehow prove that I didn't know what I was talking about, which didn't work out:)) )

Cool.
Just didnt want to get the wrath of 8537 if I were to ask you a question.

I ascared Norton...Im ascared.

Just an FYI....

Carry on.....

Cool.
Just didnt want to get the wrath of 8537 if I were to ask you a question.

I ascared Norton...Im ascared.

I wish my wife feared my wrath once in a while....

Anyway, I've got to focus on the revenue-generating portion of my life for the next few hours.

Have a great weekend, everyone. Entertaining and enlightening conversation as usual.

Honda, same
Or you could buy a ford

Take a look at a list of cars by origin of their parts and see who leads it:

The Cars.com American-Made Index - Cars.com

For those keeping score at home, the top four and seven out of ten are American. Look, you can drive a foreign car all you want (and I do!) but lets not act like the direct return to the US economy is as high with a foreign car.

I really am at point here where it would take a long time to get you to grasp what your trying to say being so far out of reality
to start with GM has such an unfair advantage, any comparison is take so far out of context one would not know were to start
How many of those cars are govt bought?
any way, giving tax payers money away created nor saved in American jobs with this event, in my Opinion
It is also my opinion that choosing a UAW member to receive that much more tax payers wealth than an ex employee for Enron is picking and choosing the winners and losers with OPM

Both were losers
one got what it deserved
the other got 62 billion

actually closer to 72 billion with GMAC getting about 18

Last edited:

Banks owned mortgages. Mortgages are not mortgage-backed securities or synthetic CDS's. I'm not mistaken.

Really? When I write a call option, the buyer doesn't mirror my gain or loss? I make $100, he loses $100. Pretty basic stuff.
Yes, that's zero sum. But if the buyer uses it as part of his capital ratio he can borrow against it multiple times. So it's not zero sum.

But let me repeat:

Banks owned mortgages. Mortgages are not mortgage-backed securities or synthetic CDS's. I'm not mistaken.

Really? When I write a call option, the buyer doesn't mirror my gain or loss? I make $100, he loses $100. Pretty basic stuff.
Yes, that's zero sum. But if the buyer uses it as part of his capital ratio he can borrow against it multiple times. So it's not zero sum.

But let me repeat:

Are you sure banks couldn't own Fannie bonds before 1999?
Banks can use a CDS for capital purposes?
I don't suppose you can prove that either?

When the US Govt takes 1 trillion dollars of our wealth to "create a job" as Obama did, then all they have done is take 1 trillion dollars (really about 800 billion) of our wealth and re distributed it
It is wealth destruction is all it is

the private sector with the right conditions can create real jobs. How many jobs would that same 800 billion create in the private sector If the those who really pay taxes were allowed to keep that wealth?
What we purchase with that wealth would create work and we would get too keep the end product, instead of it becoming part of Obama's re-election campaign fund
That is real trickle down economics made simple. Allow the tax payer to keep more of his wealth, show him you can be trusted and watch him use it to grow the economy

Rush said it best ...He called the Stimulus a slush fund and that might be true.
Monies from Obama went to States not to create jobs and repair the infrastructure.
It went to union employees... :eusa_shhh:

That's why his so called jobs bill is in the toilet....We are not going for that same nonsense again...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back