Why does God hide himself?

Job 36:26 " God is Great , we know him not!" To all those believers who claim to know God, do you know this scripture and its meaning?

You may like to think you know God , but this scripture says we don't. I mean you can say all you want, this scripture has more weight than any of us.

Everything I " Think" I know about God , is basically a guess ; although I can gather my information from the bible , even with the use of scripture, we cannot know for sure; a human has to be given assurance from God;

boy I wish I had that! I think to really know God would be quite something!

God " Covers himself with Light", as if the light was a garment or clothing; Psalms 104:2. Listen , God has created parts of himself! In Job 40:10 it reveals that God has " Decked himself", ( or created these parts of himself), with Majesty and excellency , and " Array himself;, ( or again created these parts of himself) , with Glory and Beauty."

What was he like " Before he did these things to himself?" We don't know? Many believers do not even know and understand that God created parts of himself; but its right here in scripture.

God has covered himself with light ; we can't see that! Why would he even do that? And he has dressed himself with majestic glory!

We have NEVER seen anything like God! A human would have to be " Prepared" to even look at something like that.

No other creature has a notion of good, and evil; because both are constructs of human philosophy. Both are also highly subject to perspective, and outlook. Both have only as much value as the beholder grants them.

No other creature has a notion of good, and evil; because both are constructs of human philosophy. Both are also highly subject to perspective, and outlook. Both have only as much value as the beholder grants them.

Humans did not create good and evil , human philosophy is nowhere even near that powerful.

Humans did not create good and evil , human philosophy is nowhere even near that powerful.
Good and evil are personal assesments. Its the power one allows a philosophy to hold over ones mind, that gives the power. Not the philosophy itself.

Good and evil are personal assesments. Its the power one allows a philosophy to hold over ones mind, that gives the power. Not the philosophy itself.
Check out the first few verses of Genesis and get back to us.

Possibly, the invisibility of 'God' can be explained in a basic fashion. Human perception only functions by contrasts. Black exist because white does. Up posits down, as front does back and past does present. What has no contrast, no opposite, is not perceived. If something is 'everywhere', then it is in no particular place; it is 'nowhere'. If 'God' is all and everywhere (as 'God' would have to be), then 'God' is all we see any time. 'God' is, therefore, not 'seen' as separate. 'God', if 'God' exists, would thus be invisible.
Of course, if 'God' does not exist, 'God' is not visible.

I suppose you found yourself witty with your smug post? I can assure you; you're in limited company. Surely even you realize that most Americans are familiar with the Bible. Though you'll likely not begrudge yourself to believe it; the are many more studied in the topic than yourself who still decide not to rely on the Christian faith. Just because it's written in your most bestest, super favorite book; doesn't make it true. Read up on the concepts of good, and evil using multiple sources other than the Bible, and it's related various Christian writings. Do that; and then get back to us.;)

I suppose you found yourself witty with your smug post? I can assure you; you're in limited company. Surely even you realize that most Americans are familiar with the Bible. Though you'll likely not begrudge yourself to believe it; the are many more studied in the topic than yourself who still decide not to rely on the Christian faith. Just because it's written in your most bestest, super favorite book; doesn't make it true. Read up on the concepts of good, and evil using multiple sources other than the Bible, and it's related various Christian writings. Do that; and then get back to us.;)
Show me the verse; I don't do TNT.

We made our choice when we ate the apple from the tree of knowledge.

We chose to think and make our own choices...That is why he sits back and watches.
No. That is allegorical. No other creature has the knowledge of good and evil. Only man, who is a being which knows and creates, can have knowledge of good and evil. The other creatures do not possess this capability which is unique to man. Original sin is not because Adam and Eve ate an apple. It is because man possesses the ability to do good and evil. Of course evil is merely the absence of good as dark is the absence of light and cold is the absence of heat, but I digress. Man prefers good over evil, and he knows the difference between the two. When he violates it, rather than admitting that he violates it, he rationalizes that he did not. These are all self evident truths that any dumbass ought to know, but most don't. Ancient man knew these things, but modern man is too smart to be fooled by self evident truths. No wonder our world is in the shape it is in today.
No, Catholics believe that the Apple scene was real and happened. You're just not a Catholic.

We made our choice when we ate the apple from the tree of knowledge.

We chose to think and make our own choices...That is why he sits back and watches.
No. That is allegorical. No other creature has the knowledge of good and evil. Only man, who is a being which knows and creates, can have knowledge of good and evil. The other creatures do not possess this capability which is unique to man. Original sin is not because Adam and Eve ate an apple. It is because man possesses the ability to do good and evil. Of course evil is merely the absence of good as dark is the absence of light and cold is the absence of heat, but I digress. Man prefers good over evil, and he knows the difference between the two. When he violates it, rather than admitting that he violates it, he rationalizes that he did not. These are all self evident truths that any dumbass ought to know, but most don't. Ancient man knew these things, but modern man is too smart to be fooled by self evident truths. No wonder our world is in the shape it is in today.
No, Catholics believe that the Apple scene was real and happened. You're just not a Catholic.
Show me where it states an apple.

Possibly, the invisibility of 'God' can be explained in a basic fashion. Human perception only functions by contrasts. Black exist because white does. Up posits down, as front does back and past does present. What has no contrast, no opposite, is not perceived. If something is 'everywhere', then it is in no particular place; it is 'nowhere'. If 'God' is all and everywhere (as 'God' would have to be), then 'God' is all we see any time. 'God' is, therefore, not 'seen' as separate. 'God', if 'God' exists, would thus be invisible.
Of course, if 'God' does not exist, 'God' is not visible.
What a load of juvenile crap.

Interesting topic Mickiel .

From ancient Judaism, humans would shrivel up and die if God visited them.
Huh?
I take it you don't read much then ?!
How about 35+ years of studying Tanach?
Any other comments?
Well I figured you were Jew and therefore you have 34 centuries of corruption since the time Moses (Moshe) wrote his Torah.

So just read it in plain Hebrew and don't change what it says.

Job 36:26 " God is Great , we know him not!" To all those believers who claim to know God, do you know this scripture and its meaning?

You may like to think you know God , but this scripture says we don't. I mean you can say all you want, this scripture has more weight than any of us.

Everything I " Think" I know about God , is basically a guess ; although I can gather my information from the bible , even with the use of scripture, we cannot know for sure; a human has to be given assurance from God;

boy I wish I had that! I think to really know God would be quite something!

God " Covers himself with Light", as if the light was a garment or clothing; Psalms 104:2. Listen , God has created parts of himself! In Job 40:10 it reveals that God has " Decked himself", ( or created these parts of himself), with Majesty and excellency , and " Array himself;, ( or again created these parts of himself) , with Glory and Beauty."

What was he like " Before he did these things to himself?" We don't know? Many believers do not even know and understand that God created parts of himself; but its right here in scripture.

God has covered himself with light ; we can't see that! Why would he even do that? And he has dressed himself with majestic glory!

We have NEVER seen anything like God! A human would have to be " Prepared" to even look at something like that.
I do believe that if God had a good reason to speak with a human then nothing would stop Him.

I do believe he definitely spoke with Moses.

I also believe he spoke with Jesus his Son, and with Mary the Mother Of Jesus.

Of those three, two of them were definitely normal ordinary people (Moses and Mary).

Moses of course was an accomplished general and prince of Egypt.

And Mary was pure, virtuous, and beautiful.

So these were quite extraordinary people.

Huh?
Any other comments?
Well I figured you were Jew and therefore you have 34 centuries of corruption since the time Moses (Moshe) wrote his Torah.

Why would I possibly mangle God's Blueprint of creation the way Christians mangled The Torah and TNT?

Huh?
Any other comments?

Why would I possibly mangle God's Blueprint of creation the way Christians mangled The Torah and TNT?
I think he thinks they are all mangled.

Any other comments?

I think he thinks they are all mangled.
He can have an opinion.
He cannot suppress other people opinions and knowledge.

Forum List

Back