Time Is Short

Paladin_

Feb 11, 2017
Michigan, USA
I came to these forums two weeks ago, encouraged by research which informed me that they're the largest on the internet (not dedicated to a specific issue, like games or automobiles). My hope was to find the widest possible audience with which to engage in the exploration of theological issues in the “Religion and Ethics” Forum. However, I'd forgotten that the actual, active participation in message boards -- no matter how large in general membership -- is usually quite small, limited to a few dedicated individuals, especially in the more specific sub forums.

That has, indeed, been the case here thus far, and in those two weeks I've found only ONE believer among the “Religion and Ethics” forum willing to engage me in rational discussion (a tip of the hat to RodISHI). Most of my time has been devoted to one other member, almost exclusively, and mostly in petty arguments. While there is some value in sharpening one's thrust-and-parry against the occasional internet jackass, doing so constantly is both tiresome and unproductive, and not my intention.

Worse still, it has occurred to me that, once the discussion threads in which I've participated wind down and receive no additional comments, they'll become buried by future threads and will likely never be seen by anyone, ever, again. In the end, this seems like wasted effort, unless one is willing to allocate more and more time to keeping threads active or keep re-hashing the same ideas in new threads.

And that is time I simply don't have. I was already extremely limited in how often I could visit here, barely managing to make an appearance every other day. Now, I find I'm to begin overtime at work beginning Monday, and something HAS to give!

So I'm afraid I must take my leave. I apologize to anyone who has questions or comments for me, but I won't be reading any replies to this comment. If I do, I'll see the “alerts” notice in the corner of my screen and be tempted to revisit active threads, and I'll be right back where I started. However, I'll leave my account active, and if anyone wishes, they can contact me through the “Homepage” link in my profile. Or they can visit me on HubPages and either send me a message there or comment on one of my hubs:

Paladin_ on HubPages

I wish you all the very best! :thewave:

Sad, from one Michigander to another, come back now and then, the more the merrier. I guess you haven't met Jerimiah yet? He will keep you occupied. I agree time is short.

I came to these forums two weeks ago, encouraged by research which informed me that they're the largest on the internet (not dedicated to a specific issue, like games or automobiles). My hope was to find the widest possible audience with which to engage in the exploration of theological issues in the “Religion and Ethics” Forum. However, I'd forgotten that the actual, active participation in message boards -- no matter how large in general membership -- is usually quite small, limited to a few dedicated individuals, especially in the more specific sub forums.

That has, indeed, been the case here thus far, and in those two weeks I've found only ONE believer among the “Religion and Ethics” forum willing to engage me in rational discussion (a tip of the hat to RodISHI). Most of my time has been devoted to one other member, almost exclusively, and mostly in petty arguments. While there is some value in sharpening one's thrust-and-parry against the occasional internet jackass, doing so constantly is both tiresome and unproductive, and not my intention.

Worse still, it has occurred to me that, once the discussion threads in which I've participated wind down and receive no additional comments, they'll become buried by future threads and will likely never be seen by anyone, ever, again. In the end, this seems like wasted effort, unless one is willing to allocate more and more time to keeping threads active or keep re-hashing the same ideas in new threads.

And that is time I simply don't have. I was already extremely limited in how often I could visit here, barely managing to make an appearance every other day. Now, I find I'm to begin overtime at work beginning Monday, and something HAS to give!

So I'm afraid I must take my leave. I apologize to anyone who has questions or comments for me, but I won't be reading any replies to this comment. If I do, I'll see the “alerts” notice in the corner of my screen and be tempted to revisit active threads, and I'll be right back where I started. However, I'll leave my account active, and if anyone wishes, they can contact me through the “Homepage” link in my profile. Or they can visit me on HubPages and either send me a message there or comment on one of my hubs:

Paladin_ on HubPages

Bye. Good luck with your external locus of control and your confirmation bias. I'm sure that won't cause you any problems in the future.

I really miss Paladin_ I believe he is a nice guy and intelligent. So I'd like to send him off on his self exiled journey with a song from Oklahoma by Oscar Hammerstein – Poor Jud Is Daid with styling by ding. If you ever return maybe we can have a fresh start. We just need to agree to disagree more and not lose respect for each other and try to have good natured fun. Take this send off as a fond farewell and a sign of respect as it is a time honored tradition where I come from.

"It is not exaggerated to say that laughter is the best medicine for your body. Moreover, having a good sense of humor helps you to stay healthy emotionally. Humor helps you to release stress and to keep an optimistic attitude. When you feel anxious or sad, good laughter can lighten your mood.Dec 16, 2014"

The importance of sense of humor - Hope Speak

Poor Tin Can is daid
Poor Tin Can Fry is daid
All gather round his coffin now and cry
He had a heart of gold
And he wasn't very old
Oh why did such a fella have to die

Poor Tin Can is daid
Poor Tin Can Fry is daid
He's looking oh so peaceful and serene

And serene!

He's all laid down to rest
With his hands across his chest
His fingernails have never looked so clean

And then the preacher'd get up and he'd say: "Folks, we are gathered
Here to mourn and growl our brother Tin Can Fry, who hung himself up
By a rope in a smokehouse, and then we have been weepin' and
Wailin' within some of the women. " And then he'd say: "Tin Can was the
Most misunderstood man in the territory. People used to think he was
A mean, ugly fella and they called him a dirty skunk and a northern
Pig stealer.

But the folks that really knowed 'I'm
Knowed that neath those dirty shirts he always wore
There beated a heart as big as all outdoors

As big as all outdoors

Tin Can Fry loved his fellow man

He loved his fellow man

He loved the birds of the forest
And the bees of the field
He loved the mice and the vermin in the barn
And he treated the rats like equals, which he knew was right!
And he loved the little children
He loved everybody and everything in the world
Only he never let on, so nobody ever noticed

Poor Tin Can is Daid
Poor Tin Can Fry is daid
His friends all weep and wail from miles around

Miles around!

The daisies in the dell will give out a different smell
Because poor Tin Can is underneath the ground

Poor Tin Can is daid, the candle lights his head
He's layin' in a coffin made of wood

Wood

And folks are feelin' sad cause they used to treat him bad
Now they know their friend has gone for good

Good

Poor Tin Can is daid, a candle lights his head
He's lookin oh so pretty and so nice
He looks like he's asleep
It's a shame that he won't keep
But it's summer and we're runinng out of ice

Poor Tin Can... Poor Tin Can

Last edited:

Paladin_ on HubPages

Bye. Good luck with your external locus of control and your confirmation bias. I'm sure that won't cause you any problems in the future.
You're the "internet jackass" that he's talking about. But you knew that already, didn't you? :D

Not sure what the daily user statistics are currently, but back in 2009 when I joined, this place was hopping

-Geaux

Not sure what the daily user statistics are currently, but back in 2009 when I joined, this place was hopping

-Geaux
I don't know what the stats are either, but it seems to me, it takes more than occasional visits over a two week span to really get a feel for a place. Must be OP is just too busy to complete his "research".

-Geaux
I don't know what the stats are either, but it seems to me, it takes more than occasional visits over a two week span to really get a feel for a place. Must be OP is just too busy to complete his "research".

Before I retired, I spent most my time in the forums early A.M before getting ready for work.

-Geaux

-Geaux

Before I retired, I spent most my time in the forums early A.M before getting ready for work.

-Geaux
Did you find 2 weeks of early visits adequate time to judge a forum?

-Geaux

-Geaux

In part, yes. I knew this is where to come to view, and try to understand, alternative points of view and trying not to use the ignore function

-Geaux

-Geaux

-Geaux

In part, yes. I knew this is where to come to view, and try to understand, alternative points of view and trying not to use the ignore function

-Geaux
I pop in now and then during the day when I'm working on the computer and have time to dilly dally . It took me more than two weeks to get a feel for the place. Evidently, OP has a better forum work ethic than I. LOL

Forum List

Back