Why Do Zebras Have Stripes?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
zebra.jpg

Care to guess? :eusa_whistle:

You'll get a kick out of the answer @ Why Do Zebras Have Stripes? Riddle Finally Solved - D-brief | DiscoverMagazine.com

I have reservations about accepting this new theory as the final answer. Natural Selection is so very fond of Camouflage and is so adept and artistic in it's rendering that I still lean towards camouflage strategy as the main drver of the striping. Don't forget Lions are color blind. In the long grasses of the Savanah that may have existed when the stripes were evolved the black and white stripes may have perfectly mimicked shadow and light to the predator's eye.Below are a couple of examples of Nature's magical mystery optical illusions.

This is a leaf Butterfly, imagine it in a wooded setting and the trouble a predator would have in spotting it!

camouflaged-animals-21.jpg

Believe it or not this is a Squirrel. Mother nature is such a show-off at times.

camouflaged-animals-32.jpg

First of all, Zebras are not multi hued, they are black and white, bi-tonal...Deflecting insect bites ( or the diseases they cause) isn't going to help that species. I can't help think of Dazzle camouflage used back in the early days of the 20th century, the theory behind it was the disruption of patterns actually fit in to the background, and confuses the enemy/predators. Or something like that. Apparently, it works for zebras.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back