Are We Going to Give Up Our Investment in the International Space Station?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Well, it appears so. NASA director sent out a memo to entire staff saying it is severing ties with the Russian government – except for operation space station activities. Over Crimea.

It truly show the ineptness of this administration. We can no longer fly out own people there, we have no way to send it supplies, and this little foot-stomping temper tantrum makes one shake one's head.

Do they really think this will change anything? :mad:

Read the story with links @ NASA Is Severing Ties With Russia | Popular Science

Why would we want to share a Space Station with the Russians at this time?

Let them fund it

Agreed. The shuttles were old. That was the problem. They should have just built new ones.

Killing the Shuttle program and fucking up the Orion project are 2 complete travesties of the Obama administration.

At least the latter got its funding partially back.

The original Orion program itself was a travesty. That is why it was cancelled. Bush killed the Shuttle program, as I recall, not the current administration. That said, it needed to be killed because it was a dinosaur that was consuming way too much money, and was far too dangerous to our astronauts to keep using. The problem is that there was NO thought given by anyone as to what would come afterwards BEFORE they got to the point where the Shuttle program needed to end. But folks, we have been here before. After Apollo-Soyuz, there was nothing for about five years until the first shuttle was launched. It takes time to bring new technology online, and so here we are waiting for the SLS. But once we have it, what then? We will have a robust vehicle with no program clearly spelled out for its use. And that is as much the fault of Congress as it is anyone else.

The report that came out after Columbia was damning, but it was right. The Shuttle was designed to be a pick up truck to space and became an overly expensive destination unto itself. It had to go (and that's before we get into the safety issues involved with the design). The ISS was a fine idea, but we as a nation have no intermediate or long term plans regarding space and until we do and have more than half-hearted notions of someday going back to the Moon or Mars, we really should figure out what we want before we keep throwing good money after bad.

Our you going to support a new president that will invest in nasa for us to be able to keep a space station?

Of course I will. :eusa_angel:

That's why, if he runs, I'll support Jeb Bush. Being from Florida, he knows a lot about NASA and certainly has Texas connections - both hubs of American space activity.

Why would we want to share a Space Station with the Russians at this time?

Let them fund it

Because it needs to remain INTERNATIONAL!!! We have to ensure that all the nations of this planet have some interest in it so it doesn't become a horrible platform for world domination.

:eusa_shifty:

Agreed. The shuttles were old. That was the problem. They should have just built new ones.

They were one thing I faulted NASA for. Their were more efficient and less expensive designs available but were shunned for the bigger, more complicated version.

Even our lift engines were too complicated.

Russian rockets have worked just as good for a fraction of the cost.

Our you going to support a new president that will invest in nasa for us to be able to keep a space station?

That's why, if he runs, I'll support Jeb Bush. Being from Florida, he knows a lot about NASA and certainly has Texas connections - both hubs of American space activity.

Yeah, that's all we need is another Progressive Bush, not much of a difference than Clinton or Obama.
We have to get the big entitlement spending under control or we won't have any money for anything much less space programs.

They were one thing I faulted NASA for. Their were more efficient and less expensive designs available but were shunned for the bigger, more complicated version.

The original Shuttle design was modified to fulfill Defense Department requirements, which is ironic since once they were flying, the Defense Department abandoned their Shuttle program because of their cost and unreliability. So if you want to blame someone for the Shuttles, blame the Defense Department.

Yeah, that's all we need is another Progressive Bush, not much of a difference than Clinton or Obama.
We have to get the big entitlement spending under control or we won't have any money for anything much less space programs.

We spend more on Pizza in this country than we do on the space program. The problem is one of national priorities, not just political agendas.

That is the fault of lobbing and making contracts behind closed doors. This has got to be stopped. This is what is causing crony capitalism.
EPA did the same thing with our Electric coal burning plant.
We have a cheaper more effective coal filter but EPA refused it and wants our electric plant to put theirs in, which is much more expensive and does not filter near as well as ours does.

We spend more on Pizza in this country than we do on the space program. The problem is one of national priorities, not just political agendas.

We spend 1 billion on pizza.
NASA's budget is 18.7 Billion.

We spend 1 billion on pizza.
NASA's budget is 18.7 Billion.

Actually, we spend 32 billion each year on pizza:

Pizza Statistics | Statistic Brain

Forum List

Back