Why do they still make 38 special revolvers?

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I can't see any good reason why they do it. You can shoot 38 ammo in a 357 and they make small 357 revolvers. I even have a small one. I just don't see why they make the 38 special unless they just want get as much money as they can.

I can't see any good reason why they do it. You can shoot 38 ammo in a 357 and they make small 357 revolvers. I even have a small one. I just don't see why they make the 38 special unless they just want get as much money as they can.
You can shoot the .38 special ammo in a .357 but you cant shoot a .357 in a .38. Maybe it is the cost to the customer who wants to shoot. The .38 ammo is almost as powerful as the .357 magnum.

You can shoot the .38 special ammo in a .357 but you cant shoot a .357 in a .38. Maybe it is the cost to the customer who wants to shoot. The .38 ammo is almost as powerful as the .357 magnum.

That really doesn't make any sense.
Are you referring to the cost of the handgun?

Because it's a proven caliber and perfect for conceal carry. Especially with +P or JHP.

The price is essentially the same for both handguns.
Now your post really doesnt make sense.

• Banned

357 is leaps ahead of 38 in power. Imo there is no real reason to make the 38 guns.
Because it's a proven caliber and perfect for conceal carry. Especially with +P or JHP.
Lol, you can't even comprehend what was said in the op. Not a clue.

357 is leaps ahead of 38 in power. Imo there is no real reason to make the 38 guns.

Lol, you can't even comprehend what was said in the op. Not a clue.
If you look at the.38 Special and the.357 Magnum, the only clear difference is the length. The.38 Special case length is roughly 1.15 inches, while.357 Magnum is 1.29 inches. Largely credited as the first “magnum” cartridge, the.357 Magnum is still seen as a top-notch hunting, law-enforcement, and self-defense round.

38 Special vs. 357 Magnum - The Lodge at AmmoToGo.com

GoSm.svg
WebrootSmall.svg

www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/38-special-vs-357-magnum/

Yes, the .357 has more stopping power, but the cost of the bullet and weapon is more than the .38 bullet or weapon. It just depends on what your budget is. A .38 is about 300 dollars less than the .357

If you look at the.38 Special and the.357 Magnum, the only clear difference is the length. The.38 Special case length is roughly 1.15 inches, while.357 Magnum is 1.29 inches. Largely credited as the first “magnum” cartridge, the.357 Magnum is still seen as a top-notch hunting, law-enforcement, and self-defense round.

GoSm.svg
WebrootSmall.svg

Yes, the .357 has more stopping power, but the cost of the bullet and weapon is more than the .38 bullet or weapon. It just depends on what your budget is. A .38 is about 300 dollars less than the .357
My sw 38 plus p Snubbie was over 500 dollars. The Ruger 357 was a little over 6.

GoSm.svg
WebrootSmall.svg

Again that makes no sense when you can buy the .38 special rounds if you want to shoot it on the cheap.

I have the S&W 610-3 in 10mm. and it shoots 10mm., and .40 cal and after having the cylinder bored the 10mm. Magnum round.
If I want to shoot for cheap I'll shoot .40 caliber.
35C781EE-308D-4656-A7B7-1AA18C515680.jpeg

49E54582-54BA-4BAB-B068-96BA2BDDB867.jpeg

At Sports Academy you can get a .38 Special (not +P) for a bit less that a .357 revolver. Back in the day I bought a .38 (not +P) revolver cuz it is very dependable, lower cost for the gun and the ammo, and it has a bit less recoil. I can get more shots off sooner with the .38 cuz that frickin' .357 is a damn cannon. Don't really need the extra power of the .357, if I gotta start shooting I don't want to kill somebody in the house next door.

At Sports Academy you can get a .38 Special (not +P) for a bit less that a .357 revolver. Back in the day I bought a .38 (not +P) revolver cuz it is very dependable, lower cost for the gun and the ammo, and it has a bit less recoil. I can get more shots off sooner with the .38 cuz that frickin' .357 is a damn cannon. Don't really need the extra power of the .357, if I gotta start shooting I don't want to kill somebody in the house next door.

You can shoot .38's out of a .357.

I knew of a writer named John Graves who during an interview responded to a question about guns. He said that he got rid of his 357 and bought a 38 because the recoil of the 357 was too much for him. Do what? Unbelievable.

And being heavier will make the recoil even less.

For me, the heavier weight makes it harder to aim and hold steady, and even so the recoil is greater IMHO. I still have both guns though, if I have to start shooting I'm going to fire the .357 first cuz that thing is LOUD and should scare the shit outta anybody in the house. But after that 1st shot I'll switch to the .38 if I have time.

38 ammo is not as accurate out of the 357. 38 is easily concealed , easy to pull and leaves no brass on the scene. I like them not that I carry a pistol much these days. Where I live is nearly crime free. I leave thousands of dollars in tackle on boat most the time. It's always there in the morning.

Forum List

Back