Why do so many teachers leave the profession?

I'm sure teachers have different reasons, depending on where they are teaching. Maybe some smaller communities don't offer as much money and a more boring place to live. Some cities mean having students speaking numerous different languages, making it impossible to do your job. Some places are just run down, despite years of pouring more and more money into them. Always wonder where the money goes, probably to shore up union coffers. Maybe some end up with children who completely lack discipline. We've all met those parents who didn't teach their kids a damn thing and said they can't wait to send them to school so they'll be the teacher's problem then.

Lots and lots of reasons. Our local paper publishes expenses of the city and the teachers at our schools who have been around a while do quite well, way better than the average job in this area. Plus they get the entire summer off. Many stay with it, so there has to be a draw.

just a question, soooooooo where do they end up? flipping burgers at micky d's I suppose? or the evil human resource manager at a company? so many questions where these outlaw teachers ended up working at?

I'm sure teachers have different reasons, depending on where they are teaching. Maybe some smaller communities don't offer as much money and a more boring place to live. Some cities mean having students speaking numerous different languages, making it impossible to do your job. Some places are just run down, despite years of pouring more and more money into them. Always wonder where the money goes, probably to shore up union coffers. Maybe some end up with children who completely lack discipline. We've all met those parents who didn't teach their kids a damn thing and said they can't wait to send them to school so they'll be the teacher's problem then.

Lots and lots of reasons. Our local paper publishes expenses of the city and the teachers at our schools who have been around a while do quite well, way better than the average job in this area. Plus they get the entire summer off. Many stay with it, so there has to be a draw.

just a question, soooooooo where do they end up? flipping burgers at micky d's I suppose? or the evil human resource manager at a company? so many questions where these outlaw teachers ended up working at?

Under Obama's unemployment numbers they probably do end up flipping burgers. Under every other president since Carter they go into new fields....

The ex-teachers end up as the bosses of those far right reactionary crazees flipping burgers.

Why do teachers leave?

They are attendance takers and babysiitters. They have no authority in the classroom, no academic freedom. People have to be insane to put up with that nonsense.

Under Obama's unemployment numbers they probably do end up flipping burgers. Under every other president since Carter they go into new fields....

And bush left Obama such a rosy economy right? Blame bush? Of course. The economies of the USA and other countries were teetering on the brink when that half wit left office.
Obama's had four years to make things right? Not with republicans like ryan planning to thwart anything he did from day one. This is ok with you geniuses that think you're so much smarter than teachers? Elected politicians conspiring to short circuit anything the newly elected president does to make him look bad so that they can win the next election?

url=http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcott/2012/03/The-Conspiracy-to-Commit-Legislative-Constipation]The Conspiracy to Commit Legislative Constipation | Vanity Fair[/url]

Last edited:

Sales execs, real estate, private shools where they can actually teach, corporate communications, corporate trainers, military officers, grant writing, business plan writing, manufacturing engineers.

Lots of different places.

And bush left Obama such a rosy economy right? Blame bush? Of course. The economies of the USA and other countries were teetering on the brink when that half wit left office.
Obama's had four years to make things right? Not with republicans like ryan planning to thwart anything he did from day one. This is ok with you geniuses that think you're so much smarter than teachers? Elected politicians conspiring to short circuit anything the newly elected president does to make him look bad so that they can win the next election?

url=http://www.vanityfair.com/online/wolcott/2012/03/The-Conspiracy-to-Commit-Legislative-Constipation]The Conspiracy to Commit Legislative Constipation | Vanity Fair[/url]

I love it... so many excuses for O to be the worst economic President since Carter (and maybe even including)...

The liberal way --- ZERO accountability!

Long hours, low pay and lack of their profession being considered "professional"

That's not what the article says at all.

Teachers cite lack of planning time, workload, and lack of influence over school policy among other reasons for their decision to leave the profession or transfer schools

Low pay, my ass. In many states teachers are paid higher with salary and benefits than most of the people paying them with their tax dollars. Remember the Chicago teachers' strike last year? The average salary in the Chicago public school system is $68,000. Many states still provide a lifelong pension too. In places like California, that can be six figures.

Long hours? They get most of the summer off just like the students. They get all the holidays off and most of the winter and spring break days.

I would argue the biggest reason is the lack of discipline of students in the class room, particularly in urban schools, and the idiot bureaucrats making decisions that don't make sense.

Yeah, its difficult to believe college graduates would be stupid enough to take "low paying" jobs in teaching.

Teachers make some of the best starting salaries there are for government workers.

Sales execs, real estate, private shools where they can actually teach, corporate communications, corporate trainers, military officers, grant writing, business plan writing, manufacturing engineers.

Lots of different places.

Bwahahahahahahahahahah............most liklely being a 99 weeker collecting unemployment.

Because you have conservative parents who only blame you instead of placing some blame on themselves for allowing their kids to be such fucking slackers.

I mean surely it can't be their fault that little johnny is a retard.

and fucking manufacturing engineers.? never met a college grad that could carry thy's tool belt.....what a fucking joke.

long hours? lol how many damn days do they get off? and wtf? whats so hard sitting in a room of rug rats for like 6 hours? its the liberal dream job and you get to teach them to be liberals so when they grow up they can vote for your unions and your pay check, how much more do they want?

Unfortunately they get to deal with the out of control brats they have created by taking away disipline in the school. Now the students run the show. I have a good friend who is a teacher. That is her main complaint...unruly and abusive children (with obnoxious parents).

"Before 5 years"?
I think that's the point at which teachers are either given tenure or are fired through RIF (Reduction In Force). The reason 50% leave is that they are fired, rather than granted tenure. The reason they're fired is because it's cheaper to re-hire someone fresh out of college. They then give them the "5 year run" and then fire their asses.

It's a racket. I used to have such empathy for teachers when Mrs. H. got hired. Yes her days often extended late into the night working on lesson plans and grading papers. Sure the summers off were great, but it averaged out to a 40 hour week even considering those summers off.

Now- I could give a shit. It is a racket fraught with nepotism, cronyism, and favoritism.

I bet you couldn't find one piece of info that backs up any of that cool fiction you just wrote.

I saw the shit go down year after year. Far be it for you to understand a first-person account. Go back to watching MSNBC.

long hours? lol how many damn days do they get off? and wtf? whats so hard sitting in a room of rug rats for like 6 hours? its the liberal dream job and you get to teach them to be liberals so when they grow up they can vote for your unions and your pay check, how much more do they want?

Unfortunately they get to deal with the out of control brats they have created by taking away disipline in the school. Now the students run the show. I have a good friend who is a teacher. That is her main complaint...unruly and abusive children (with obnoxious parents).

and AGAiN those that do, well they just do, those that cant, well they just teach. I could handle those rug rats in a heart beat. but hey I am just a 47 year old guy that fixes molding machines and programs robotics.... move along nothing you can learn from since I dont have a english masters....

Actually, teachers work way longer Than that. Typically the get to work a hour before school starts, then does 6-8 hours on class...then they have to grade papers. If they spend 6 min per paper × 30 students = 3 hours more

You're talking about just that equals 11 hours just on the example above. Not including if they tutor after schhol, coach, or meet with parents

So yeah, long hours

thats not work,..... sitting on you butt reading, heck you and I do that for a hobby....AFTER our real jobs......

What's the average size of a class? 25-35 students or more. Do you think you could teach that many individual students,,,,all with different needs, intelligence, backgrounds and interests? Sitting on their butts reading? Did you sleep your way through school or were you just dazed and confused?

Forum List

Back