Why do only democrats oppose child sweatshops?

During the Renaissance, children apprenticed to guilds and masters when they were 13, what's wrong with that? Should Michelangelo have stayed home or at a failing public school and not apprenticed with Domenico Ghirlandaio and not been allowed to stay with Lorenzo de Medici?

Are you saying that children who work in sweatshops are gay geniuses?

Are you a homophobe? You keep confusing Leonardo with Michelangelo who had three great female loves (and one male love) in his life including Lorenzo de Medici's daughter.

Are you equating apprenticing with slave labor? Do you want everyone condemned to a life of Hell in public schools?

Have you thought this through?

That's gonna put the ChiComs out of business, then they'll stop financing Neo- Nazis (aka: Democrats) Record Deficits.

How is that going to work in reality? This is going to be like preventing banks from charging for overdrafts and as a result, we lose free checking.

The Surgeon General has determined that Democrats are hazardous to your freedom and prosperity and should be avoided at all costs

Isn't that garbage can you have on your head getting uncomfortable?

So how are you coming along on finally stating your AGW hypothesis? You've been avoiding it since the first time i asked.

During the Renaissance, children apprenticed to guilds and masters when they were 13, what's wrong with that? Should Michelangelo have stayed home or at a failing public school and not apprenticed with Domenico Ghirlandaio and not been allowed to stay with Lorenzo de Medici?

During the Renaissance peolpe only lived into their forties (if they were lucky). So a 13 year-old was almost middle aged.

And being an apprentice to a guild or a master is a far cry from working long hours in sweat shop turning out cheap crap for the masses.

Leonardo da Vinci - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1452-1519. Guess you're wrong again.

Michelangelo died at 90 after a lifetime of inhaling marble dust

What's good for the 1500s is good for 2010?

Those damn republicans....it's all their fault. :evil:
Anyone want to take off their partisan glasses for a few moments, and stop pointing fingers? All of this couldn't have happened without both parties getting their hands dirty.
sheesh....

Clinton signs China trade bill
October 10, 2000
Web posted at: 6:28 p.m. EDT (2228 GMT)

By Matt Smith/CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Clinton closed years of political and economic debate Tuesday, and sealed a major achievement of his administration by signing a bill extending permanent, normal trade status to China.

"Today we take a major step toward China's entry into the World Trade Organization and a major step toward answering some of the central challenges of this new century," Clinton said in a bipartisan White House ceremony Tuesday afternoon.

"Trade with China will not only extend our nation's unprecedented economic growth, it offers us a chance to help shape the future of the world's most prosperous nation and to reaffirm our own global leadership for peace and prosperity."

Some opponents worried that the U.S. would be unable to influence Beijing over human rights concerns without a yearly vote on trade. To counter those concerns, the legislation calls for setting up a congressional-executive commission to monitor human rights in China
Clinton signs China trade bill, - October 10, 2000

I guess I need to bump this because some twits just don't get it......

Anyone want to take off their partisan glasses for a few moments, and stop pointing fingers? All of this couldn't have happened without both parties getting their hands dirty.
sheesh....

October 10, 2000

By Matt Smith/CNN

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Clinton closed years of political and economic debate Tuesday, and sealed a major achievement of his administration by signing a bill extending permanent, normal trade status to China.

"Today we take a major step toward China's entry into the World Trade Organization and a major step toward answering some of the central challenges of this new century," Clinton said in a bipartisan White House ceremony Tuesday afternoon.

"Trade with China will not only extend our nation's unprecedented economic growth, it offers us a chance to help shape the future of the world's most prosperous nation and to reaffirm our own global leadership for peace and prosperity."

Some opponents worried that the U.S. would be unable to influence Beijing over human rights concerns without a yearly vote on trade. To counter those concerns, the legislation calls for setting up a congressional-executive commission to monitor human rights in China

Our politicians on both sides of the aisle do not think before they sign.

sheesh....

October 10, 2000

By Matt Smith/CNN

Our politicians on both sides of the aisle do not think before they sign.

Yep, why is it that you and I can admit that it is both sides and these left wing nuts on this particuliar thread just places blame to one? Are they just wrong, or are they being dishonest?

Did i hear the OP say that no republicans co-sponsored this? Then I read his link and find things like this:

HR 1992 was sponsored by Michael Michaud, D ME, and cosponsored by 167 Democrats and 7 Republicans. It was introduced on May 2, 2007

Now, who is it that controlled the House in 2007?

And who is it then that probably killed this in committee?

Sorry but the House and the Senate have been in Democrat control for 3 1/2 years now. Republicans are blameless for your folks not doing what you want done.

Oh and by the way. I spend the extra dollars to get American made stuff when I can find it. How many of you actually look?

Did i hear the OP say that no republicans co-sponsored this? Then I read his link and find things like this:

HR 1992 was sponsored by Michael Michaud, D ME, and cosponsored by 167 Democrats and 7 Republicans. It was introduced on May 2, 2007

Now, who is it that controlled the House in 2007?

And who is it then that probably killed this in committee?

Sorry but the House and the Senate have been in Democrat control for 3 1/2 years now. Republicans are blameless for your folks not doing what you want done.

Oh and by the way. I spend the extra dollars to get American made stuff when I can find it. How many of you actually look?

I do all the time.

I needed a new hammer not too long ago, I found an American made that was actually a couple of bucks cheaper than the Chinese model. The only difference was that the Chinese made hammer had a graphite handle. I don't need no stinking graphite handle and I bought American.

At least half of the US High School students would be far better off learning a trade than wasting their time in our public schools.

Let's not forget the fact that judging third-world nations by United States' standards makes about as much sense as judging the world 500 years ago by 21st century standards. We glibly talk about "sweatshops" and "child labor" in those countries as though we're talking about yanking middle-class American children out of school and stuffing them into places that resemble the workhouse in the movie "Oliver". Ask yourself this: what would those kids' lives REALLY be like without those jobs? What would those countries be like without those companies? What are those fatories ACTUALLY like? What actually constitutes a living wage in the third world? Do any of the leftists on this board actually know the answers?

My mother-in-law grew up in pre-industrial Taiwan, a perfect example of the answers to those questions. She was the oldest of ten+ children (I've never been clear on the actual number). Her family lived in a dirt-floored shack on a tiny farm. She received a second-grade education, and then worked full-time farming with her parents to help feed the family. When she was twelve, she was sent to Taipei alone to get a job and send money back to help her family. It was understood without saying that the "job" she was most likely to get was as a child prostitute. Instead, she joined a street gang and robbed people for money. Eventually, she managed to get out of that life as an adult, got a respectable menial job, and met my father-in-law. I don't think I have to tell anyone how incredibly lucky she was, and how many children like her weren't.

Taiwan isn't like that today. It's industrialized, with a decent standard of living for many of its people. My MIL's family there today have educations, decent jobs, and decent homes. Her nieces and nephews and their children graduate high school and go to college and/or decent jobs because of the same sorts of conditions leftists now decry in other countries, which allowed Taiwan to work its way up out of devastating poverty.

So ask yourselves: if you "save" those children from labor in a factory, what are you really "saving" them for?

Let's not forget the fact that judging third-world nations by United States' standards makes about as much sense as judging the world 500 years ago by 21st century standards. We glibly talk about "sweatshops" and "child labor" in those countries as though we're talking about yanking middle-class American children out of school and stuffing them into places that resemble the workhouse in the movie "Oliver". Ask yourself this: what would those kids' lives REALLY be like without those jobs? What would those countries be like without those companies? What are those fatories ACTUALLY like? What actually constitutes a living wage in the third world? Do any of the leftists on this board actually know the answers?

My mother-in-law grew up in pre-industrial Taiwan, a perfect example of the answers to those questions. She was the oldest of ten+ children (I've never been clear on the actual number). Her family lived in a dirt-floored shack on a tiny farm. She received a second-grade education, and then worked full-time farming with her parents to help feed the family. When she was twelve, she was sent to Taipei alone to get a job and send money back to help her family. It was understood without saying that the "job" she was most likely to get was as a child prostitute. Instead, she joined a street gang and robbed people for money. Eventually, she managed to get out of that life as an adult, got a respectable menial job, and met my father-in-law. I don't think I have to tell anyone how incredibly lucky she was, and how many children like her weren't.

Taiwan isn't like that today. It's industrialized, with a decent standard of living for many of its people. My MIL's family there today have educations, decent jobs, and decent homes. Her nieces and nephews and their children graduate high school and go to college and/or decent jobs because of the same sorts of conditions leftists now decry in other countries, which allowed Taiwan to work its way up out of devastating poverty.

So ask yourselves: if you "save" those children from labor in a factory, what are you really "saving" them for?

Excellent points all around!

Ask yourself this: what would those kids' lives REALLY be like without those jobs? What would those countries be like without those companies? What are those fatories ACTUALLY like? What actually constitutes a living wage in the third world? Do any of the leftists on this board actually know the answers?

See the links above and also

Dirty Clothes

China's Youth Meet Microsoft

Twenty-one Workers die and 31 are Injured Sewing Sweaters in Bangladesh For H&M, Mark’s Work Wearhouse and Other Labels

NFL and Reebok Fumble

Where Ships and Workers Go to Die

Human Trafficking and Abusive Conditions at the Mediterranean Garments Factory in the Ad Dulayl Industrial Zone in Jordan

Illegally, all workers are hired as temps with contracts lasting just three to six months. Once inside the factory, workers cannot leave until their contracts expire. If anyone does quit, they will be docked one-month’s wages.

Workers are systematically cheated of half the wage legally due them. Many workers earn just 43 cents an hour which is 31 percent below Shenzhen City’s minimum wage of 62 cents, which is itself not a subsistence level wage. Workers are paid just $36.55 for working an 89-hour week, including 49 hours of overtime. They should have earned at least $77.84. Management routinely cheats the poor workers of over $100,000 a month in wages due them. After deductions for primitive room and board, take home wages can drop to just 28 cents an hour.

Nightmare on Sesame Street - The National Labor Committee

Microsoft accused of using teenage 'slave labour' to build Xboxes in China

Fatema Akter, an 18-year-old garment worker in the port city of Chittagong, died during her shift in December last year, according to the US-based National Labor Committee (NCL).
"Forced to work 13 to 15 hours a day, seven days a week, Fatema was sick and exhausted, with pains in her chest and arms," the report said, adding that her job was to clean 90 to 100 pairs of finished jeans per hour.
Teen 'overworked to death' in jeans factory

Labour reforms combined with support for governmental reforms to improve their condition and improve the quality of life for all.

Any more stupid questions?

No, you've pretty much exhausted the "stupid" inherent in this thread.
Wishing our own culture and economy on other countries is typical cultural imperialism. And it is about as practical as anything else the Left has.

At least half of the US High School students would be far better off learning a trade than wasting their time in our public schools.

Public school did just fine for me. There are vocational programs available for students who want to focus on a trade. A few of my friends in HS went to the vo-tech. It's generally geared toward those entering the workforce directly after school, whereas regular high school is in preparation for higher learning and eventual entry into more advanced disciplines.

Then again, my school was one of the best in the state, and the state (New Jersey) is among the best in the union. Hence I could understand that my HS experience is not necessarily reflective of the nation as a whole.

Forum List

Back