Why do leftists abhor the concept of a meritocracy?

Furiously Googling, Drock is... :lol:

:)

peace...

Yes furiously googling lol.

Our economy has been shit for over a decade, around 12 years, so I'm not going to downplay the affect it's having on the middle class as you are.

Average UE rate from 2001 to 2007 was under 5% with GDP growth during that time. Is that really shit?
The middle class cannot disappear. Just by definition.

You hear them Screaming Bloody Murder about the Extinction of the "Middle Class", as if that's where everyone should Strive to be in Life...

So why do you Think Liberals have a Love Affair with the Concept of Everyone being Mediocre?...

My Opinion is that it makes the Masses Easier to Rule and Control.

What's yours?

peace...

I have to disagree.

The left supports the sub par life style far more than anything else.

Why else would they claim that whenever anyone mentions changes to entitlements that children and seniors will starve.

And how better to control someone when you not only hold the purse strings, but are the actual purse?

Making policies based on merit does not satisfy their inborn guilt and desire to appease others.
At the same time it would force them to realize that laziness, amorality and victimization are not traits you should reward.

Last edited:
Because the rank and file lib is a very mediocre and unmotivated person.. probably brought about by years of lying about momma's house smoking pot and listening to the likes of Olberman and Maddow.

Are you denying that the middle class is shrinking? This is real world redistribution of wealth we are talking about here, except its going from the middle up.

• 83 percent of all U.S. stocks are in the hands of 1 percent of the people.
• 61 percent of Americans "always or usually" live paycheck to paycheck, which was up from 49 percent in 2008 and 43 percent in 2007.
• 66 percent of the income growth between 2001 and 2007 went to the top 1% of all Americans.
• 36 percent of Americans say that they don't contribute anything to retirement savings.
• A staggering 43 percent of Americans have less than $10,000 saved up for retirement.
• 24 percent of American workers say that they have postponed their planned retirement age in the past year.
• Over 1.4 million Americans filed for personal bankruptcy in 2009, which represented a 32 percent increase over 2008.
• Only the top 5 percent of U.S. households have earned enough additional income to match the rise in housing costs since 1975.
• For the first time in U.S. history, banks own a greater share of residential housing net worth in the United States than all individual Americans put together.
• In 1950, the ratio of the average executive's paycheck to the average worker's paycheck was about 30 to 1. Since the year 2000, that ratio has exploded to between 300 to 500 to one.
• As of 2007, the bottom 80 percent of American households held about 7% of the liquid financial assets.
• The bottom 50 percent of income earners in the United States now collectively own less than 1 percent of the nation’s wealth.
• Average Wall Street bonuses for 2009 were up 17 percent when compared with 2008.
• In the United States, the average federal worker now earns 60% MORE than the average worker in the private sector.
• The top 1 percent of U.S. households own nearly twice as much of America's corporate wealth as they did just 15 years ago.
• In America today, the average time needed to find a job has risen to a record 35.2 weeks.
• More than 40 percent of Americans who actually are employed are now working in service jobs, which are often very low paying.
• or the first time in U.S. history, more than 40 million Americans are on food stamps, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture projects that number will go up to 43 million Americans in 2011.
• This is what American workers now must compete against: in China a garment worker makes approximately 86 cents an hour and in Cambodia a garment worker makes approximately 22 cents an hour.
• Approximately 21 percent of all children in the United States are living below the poverty line in 2010 - the highest rate in 20 years.
• Despite the financial crisis, the number of millionaires in the United States rose a whopping 16 percent to 7.8 million in 2009.
• The top 10 percent of Americans now earn around 50 percent of our national income.

You hear them Screaming Bloody Murder about the Extinction of the "Middle Class", as if that's where everyone should Strive to be in Life...

So why do you Think Liberals have a Love Affair with the Concept of Everyone being Mediocre?...

What's yours?

peace...

I have to disagree.

The left supports the sub par life style far more than anything else.

Why else would they claim that whenever anyone mentions changes to entitlements that children and seniors will starve.

And how better to control someone when you not only hold the purse strings, but are the actual purse?

Retired people don't have an expendable income, they have a FIXED income, with little or no physical ability or time on earth to launch a new career.

We had charity before Medicare was created...it DIDN'T work. Medicare saved the lives of MILLIONS of Americans...it is the BEST of what America has done for We, the People.

In 1965, the elderly were the group most likely to be living in poverty--nearly one in three were poor. Today, the poverty rate for the elderly is similar to that of the age group 18-64--about 1 in 10 are poor.

About one-half of America's seniors did not have hospital insurance prior to Medicare. By contrast, 75 percent of adults under age 65 had hospital insurance, primarily through their employer. For the uninsured, needing hospital services could mean going without health care or turning to family, friends, and/or charity to cover medical bills. More than one in four elderly were estimated to go without medical care due to cost concerns.

Medicare, along with other programs, notably Social Security, and a strong economy, have greatly improved the ability of the elderly and the disabled to live without these worries. Medicare covers nearly all of the elderly (about 97 percent), making them the population group most likely to have health insurance coverage.

What's yours?

peace...

None of the liberals I grew up listening to accepted anything short of conquering the moon.

The Greek definition of happiness is full use of ones powers along the lines of excellence.
President John F. Kennedy

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.
President John F. Kennedy

What's yours?

peace...

The above has got to be one of the most retarded attempts at trolling for liberals I've ever read.

What's yours?

peace...

The above has got to be one of the most retarded attempts at trolling for liberals I've ever read.

Just what I was thinking.

Some might argue that leftism and a meritocracy are mutually exclusive ideals, but that is not really the case. There may be conflicting elements that need to be balanced, but by and large the two could definitely coexist. Yet for some reason leftists dismiss the meritocracy concept out of hand at best, and view it as an absolute evil at worst. And I just don't understand why.

I'd like to be a member of a meritocratic society.

My guess is I have a better chance of riding a unicorn than of living in a meritocratic society.

The first thing one would have to do to create a meritocracy is eliminate all intergenerational transferance of wealth.

I mean let's face it...just because dadddy left one a pile, doesn't mean one has the merit worthy of it.

THAT is the number one reason, however, that no society is every going to become a meritocracy.

Judging people based SOLELY on merit just rubs against our baser instincts...like that baser instinct most of us have to love our children more than we love our society.

Last edited:
It's because the left LOVES bumperstickers. Like the "My kid was student of the month" kind..
It's all about the self-esteem you know. Competition and merit TAKES from the unfortunate.

There's only a fixed amount of merit available and we MUST conserve to make it sustainable.. :razz:

The same reason progressives on the right do. Because they are insecure, lazy, and think they deserve to be treated as superior to others without putting in any effort to earn their position.

Some might argue that leftism and a meritocracy are mutually exclusive ideals, but that is not really the case. There may be conflicting elements that need to be balanced, but by and large the two could definitely coexist. Yet for some reason leftists dismiss the meritocracy concept out of hand at best, and view it as an absolute evil at worst. And I just don't understand why.

I'd like to be a member of a meritocratic society.

My guess is I have a better chance of riding a unicorn than of living in a meritocratic society.

The first thing one would have to do to create a meritocracy is eliminate all intergenerational transferance of wealth.

I mean let's face it...just because dadddy left one a pile, doesn't mean one has the merit worthy of it.

THAT is the number one reason, however, that no society is every going to become a meritocracy.

Judging people based SOLELY on merit just rubs against our baser instincts...like that baser instinct most of us have to love our children more than we love our society.

There are plenty of Daddies who make the decision to spend it themselves rather than passing it to incompetent lazy offspring. Besides, nobody is judging merit solely on money.
Money usually comes from merit -- but you can't buy it. Basic Leftist misconception.

Oh I dunno, from my various perches over the years, there are plenty of cons who are pretty stupid too.

Flacal,

Money does come from merit in most cases, but lets face it, it's a lot easier to get rich through inheritance then if you start out without any real financial pull or backing. It can be done, but it's a lot more work and usually takes a lot longer.

Flacal,

Money does come from merit in most cases, but lets face it, it's a lot easier to get rich through inheritance then if you start out without any real financial pull or backing. It can be done, but it's a lot more work and usually takes a lot longer.

Screw that----Immediate gratification is the way to go.

Forum List

Back