Why do leftists abhor the concept of a meritocracy?

Furiously Googling, Drock is... :lol:

:)

peace...

Yes furiously googling lol.

Our economy has been shit for over a decade, around 12 years, so I'm not going to downplay the affect it's having on the middle class as you are.

Average UE rate from 2001 to 2007 was under 5% with GDP growth during that time. Is that really shit?
The middle class cannot disappear. Just by definition.

Drock was probably hit hard by this Economy...

And is Irrational with Emotion. :thup:

peace...

You hear them Screaming Bloody Murder about the Extinction of the "Middle Class", as if that's where everyone should Strive to be in Life...

So why do you Think Liberals have a Love Affair with the Concept of Everyone being Mediocre?...

My Opinion is that it makes the Masses Easier to Rule and Control.

What's yours?

peace...

None of the liberals I grew up listening to accepted anything short of conquering the moon.

The Greek definition of happiness is full use of ones powers along the lines of excellence.
President John F. Kennedy

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win.
President John F. Kennedy

It absolutely infuriates me we don't have bases on the Moon and Mars. We should be working on starships by now.

I'm extremely serious about that. They did much better at exploration during Roman times. And think about Spain when they sent out three ships. That was a huge investment and there was no guarantee anyone was coming back.

What the fuck happened????

Dillo,

It would be nice if I had a choice in the matter. What makes this whole discussion really galling is that I went to highschool with the owner of my company, and he got the business from his father. My boss is a great guy, but I don't think he could have become the CEO of a company this size at his age any other way.

Last edited:
The problem with this discussion is that conservatives define merit as being born to rich parents.

It's because the left LOVES bumperstickers. Like the "My kid was student of the month" kind..
It's all about the self-esteem you know. Competition and merit TAKES from the unfortunate.

There's only a fixed amount of merit available and we MUST conserve to make it sustainable.. :razz:

Wouldn't your child be student of the month by merit?

Polk,

Maybe, maybe not. I was never anywhere close to being student of the month or even on the honor role when I was in High school. It wasn't until I had grown up a bit and had reality kick me around the block a few times that I got serious. Took me a while, but once I finally got myself back into college I turned out to be a 4.0 student, and assuming everying goes right I'll be stepping into our CFO's position when he retires next spring. It's taken me over 40 years to get here, but it's finally starting to pay off.

Guess my point is that merit isn't always easily seen, especially in the young. History is full of great men that were failures when they were young, after all.

Last edited:
That's ridiculous.

Right wingers love average and below. Look at how they've managed their states. Look at Texas, a cesspool with one university in the top 50. Near the bottom in high school graduates and the most polluted state in the nation. Yet right wingers see it as a "stunning success".

In fact, if the Red States weren't supported economically by Blue states, they would all be bankrupt. By taking Federal money from Blue States and propping up Red States economies, you just put that bankruptcy off a little bit longer. Ignorant people don't really contribute unless it's manual labor. Even then, you have to watch them like a hawk.

Yes, just look at that leftist paradise California. They have ten million more people, more money being squandered by the government and only TWO universities made it into the top 25 in this rating! Of course my uni is in the top 5!

The List is Out: America's Best Colleges - MonsterCollege

Yea, but 6 in the top 50. Texas has only 1.

I don't even live in California, but if you took the money the US squeezes from that prosperous state and put put it back where it came from, California would have a balanced budget with money to burn.

Instead, I love the way right wingers constantly rant against California, a state that is number one or number two in everything from technology to science to automation to major world exporters of fruit and vegetables. Not to mention theater and art. How many billions does Hollywood bring into the US every year while right wingers have that fucking rotten Christian music. Even a lot of "their" country music actually comes from California.

So what do right wingers do? They glorify a cesspool like Texas. A state that constantly threatens to secede from the Union. And rant against a state like California. A state that's being robbed to prop up the economies of ignorant right wing Red states. It's a tragedy and a crime.

That's ridiculous.

Right wingers love average and below. Look at how they've managed their states. Look at Texas, a cesspool with one university in the top 50. Near the bottom in high school graduates and the most polluted state in the nation. Yet right wingers see it as a "stunning success".

In fact, if the Red States weren't supported economically by Blue states, they would all be bankrupt. By taking Federal money from Blue States and propping up Red States economies, you just put that bankruptcy off a little bit longer. Ignorant people don't really contribute unless it's manual labor. Even then, you have to watch them like a hawk.

Yes, just look at that leftist paradise California. They have ten million more people, more money being squandered by the government and only TWO universities made it into the top 25 in this rating! Of course my uni is in the top 5!

I don't even live in California, but if you took the money the US squeezes from that prosperous state and put put it back where it came from, California would have a balanced budget with money to burn.

Instead, I love the way right wingers constantly rant against California, a state that is number one or number two in everything from technology to science to automation to major world exporters of fruit and vegetables. Not to mention theater and art. How many billions does Hollywood bring into the US every year while right wingers have that fucking rotten Christian music. Even a lot of "their" country music actually comes from California.

So what do right wingers do? They glorify a cesspool like Texas. A state that constantly threatens to secede from the Union. And rant against a state like California. A state that's being robbed to prop up the economies of ignorant right wing Red states. It's a tragedy and a crime.

They don't consider Texas a cesspool. For them, poverty is a feature, not a bug.

They don't consider Texas a cesspool. For them, poverty is a feature, not a bug.

Isn't Texas BEAUTIFUL????

galveston_bay_pollution_1.jpg

Look at the pretty colors. Like "Sand Paintings".

Water-Pollution-Abatement-Plan.jpg

Big D little a double L ----> AS! And that spells Dallas.

fen-river-pollution_155_600x450.jpg

Some say Texas cities are the most beautiful. If you can see one.

hk_pollution_1.jpg

Houston - the third year in a row - the "Fattest" city in the US. Texas has 5 in the top 15.

fat_people.jpg

Some might argue that leftism and a meritocracy are mutually exclusive ideals, but that is not really the case. There may be conflicting elements that need to be balanced, but by and large the two could definitely coexist. Yet for some reason leftists dismiss the meritocracy concept out of hand at best, and view it as an absolute evil at worst. And I just don't understand why.

Because they can't control it. They can't dole out goodies to favored groups if people are earning their goodies.

Mostly, because meritocracy and identity politics are incompatible. Identity politics doesn't recognize the individual; only the collective.

And leftists are all about the collective.

That's ridiculous.

California is being robbed to prop up its OWN economy. And they're failing to do even that.

Isn't Texas BEAUTIFUL????

fen-river-pollution_155_600x450.jpg

From the file name: fen-river-pollution.

The Fen River is in China. Even the most stupid of stupid people knows that China is not in Texas.

But apparently, dean is even stupider than that.
Some say Texas cities are the most beautiful. If you can see one.

hk_pollution_1.jpg
A Google of the file name -- hk pollution -- turns up this blog entry:
For more local perspective on the TXU proposal controversy, we recommend Preston's Jetson Green blog post, from which we borrowed the symbolic photo (may not be Dallas)​
Judging from the file name, I'd say that's Hong Kong, not Dallas.

THIS is Dallas:
downtown-dallas-2a.jpg

No similarity at all. Buildings are all wrong. Dean fucks up again.
Houston - the third year in a row - the "Fattest" city in the US. Texas has 5 in the top 15.

fat_people.jpg
And now dean is claiming these are Texans, based only on his bigotry against conservatives.

Dean, why do you lie so much? Oh, wait, you really believe your claims are true simply because you say them, don't you?

This isn't the first time I've busted you passing off pictures of China as places in America.

You should be ashamed of yourself, but you lack the integrity.

Oh, and dean doesn't support a meritocracy, because he'd never be promoted.

Some might argue that leftism and a meritocracy are mutually exclusive ideals, but that is not really the case. There may be conflicting elements that need to be balanced, but by and large the two could definitely coexist. Yet for some reason leftists dismiss the meritocracy concept out of hand at best, and view it as an absolute evil at worst. And I just don't understand why.

The Right seems to believes merit should be the only factor determining advancement. The Left seems to believe that there are other factors to be considering in addition to merit such as seniority. Sometime there will be a person that is clearly exceptional but often judging merit is purely subjective. Using seniority in conjunction with merit is IMHO the right method for determining advancement.

The Right seems to believes merit should be the only factor determining advancement.
Nonsense.

The so called "right" objects to inheritence taxes on multimillionaire scions.

That in itself is their argument against meritocracy.

Unless, of course, one considers being born to weathy family a kind of merit.

Which is, I think, what most of them actually do believe given that they are overtly classists.

'

You hear them Screaming Bloody Murder about the Extinction of the "Middle Class", as if that's where everyone should Strive to be in Life...

So why do you Think Liberals have a Love Affair with the Concept of Everyone being Mediocre?...

My Opinion is that it makes the Masses Easier to Rule and Control.

What's yours?

peace...

Apparently somebody Hates on me a LOT... :lol:

And I bet they didn't get picked at kick ball as a kid... :thup:

peace...

One can write an essay on the question alone. Who are leftists? Do they really say they hate merit? Why ask the question? Who argues? What is meritocracy? If we drilled down and answered these questions would we arrive at a suitable answer? Probably not because my answers would differ from the questioner's answer. The questioner already has the answer and that at root is why the question.

But let me be the leftist. If you came to my desk at work you'd notice several frames / plaques of paper, crystal and wood. When the mood hits me I display them as they are awards for excellence or thank yous for jobs well done. And while I am corporate mature enough to know fluff from substance, a few are well deserved, others are fluff, they are similar to all the ribbons soldiers wear. I have them too. So I guess I don't really hate merit.

Next. But I hate meritocracy. Hm, it ain't meritocracy we hate, dislike, find repulsive: it is the use of meritocracy as an empty slogan to condone wrong. It is sorta like all abstract words, you know like 'fairness' and 'affirmative action' combined in such a way so as to love one and hate the other. But it's unfair. Am I making myself clear. Any need to go on?

Last edited:
Dispite ignorant proclamations to the contrary, passing along one's wealth is not inconsistent with a meritocracy. Whoever said that a meritocracy cannot work without supplanting the foundation of modern society: the family? That's just utter nonsense.

The Right seems to believes merit should be the only factor determining advancement. The Left seems to believe that there are other factors to be considering in addition to merit such as seniority. Sometime there will be a person that is clearly exceptional but often judging merit is purely subjective. Using seniority in conjunction with merit is IMHO the right method for determining advancement.

Even COngress eliminated seniority as a factor. The only places that practice that are union shops. If someone is a shitbag he doesn't become less of a shitbag because he was able to last in the system more years than someone else.
Is meritocracy an ideal system? No. But it is better than anything else I've seen proposed. Including grievance culture.

Forum List

Back