Why do conservatives want the US to be like Afghanistan?

Some people feel that the 2nd amendment is the key to remaining a free nation. People have felt that way for quite a long time. The list includes George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and lots of others that you might remember.

I know some people think that. It seems misguided to me given that the only crime set forth in the Constitution is Treason.

Citizens were never intended to use those weapons to defend themselves *from* the goverment. They were supposed to use them to *defend* the government in "well-ordered" militias. The fact that Miller contradicts that? Well, that wasn't a foregone conclusion and if you look at the decision, Breyer raised some very good questions that the majority failed to address.

They keep forgetting the Continental Army was disbanded after the revolution. We were meant to have a ground force of citizen soldiers..not professionals.

reagan_taliban_1985.jpg

How far-sighted of reagan to meet with a movement that didn't exist yet when he was President.

The same lie just keeps getting repeated over and over again by stupid people.

They went by a different name back then...the muj. Same peeps, though.

Thanks for playing.

:thup:

Some people feel that the 2nd amendment is the key to remaining a free nation. People have felt that way for quite a long time. The list includes George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and lots of others that you might remember.

I know some people think that. It seems misguided to me given that the only crime set forth in the Constitution is Treason.

Citizens were never intended to use those weapons to defend themselves *from* the goverment. They were supposed to use them to *defend* the government in "well-ordered" militias. The fact that Miller contradicts that? Well, that wasn't a foregone conclusion and if you look at the decision, Breyer raised some very good questions that the majority failed to address.

They keep forgetting the Continental Army was disbanded after the revolution. We were meant to have a ground force of citizen soldiers..not professionals.

That's true. But I can't blame them for the position they take given the Miller decision. It was wrong... but Scalia used the opportunity to go far further than the case necessitated.

Last edited:

How far-sighted of reagan to meet with a movement that didn't exist yet when he was President.

What must be a source of embarrassment for Republicans and conservatives is Reagan’s creation of the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan. Reagan was responsible for funding, training, arming, and equipping the Islamist mujahidin in Afghanistan as a means of combatting the former Soviet Union. Reagan was responsible for channeling billions of dollars and sophisticated weapons through Pakistan’s intelligence agency that is still responsible for helping the Taliban to kill Americans in Afghanistan and the border region with Pakistan.

And of course Ronbo's swift action after the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II...NOTHING

1983 Beirut barracks bombing

The Beirut Barracks Bombing (October 23, 1983 in Beirut, Lebanon) occurred during the Lebanese Civil War, when two truck bombs struck separate buildings housing United States and French military forces—members of the Multinational Force in Lebanon—killing 299 American and French servicemen. The organization Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Suicide bombers detonated each of the truck bombs. In the attack on the American Marines barracks, the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II.

mid-Reagan_Speech_Beirut_Bombing.ogv.jpg

Response

There was no serious retaliation for the Beirut bombing
from the Americans, besides a few shellings. In December 1983, U.S. aircraft from the USS John F. Kennedy and USS Independence battle groups attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was ostensibly in response to Syrian missile attacks on American warplanes.

What must be a source of embarrassment for Republicans and conservatives is Reagan’s creation of the Taliban and Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan. Reagan was responsible for funding, training, arming, and equipping the Islamist mujahidin in Afghanistan as a means of combatting the former Soviet Union. Reagan was responsible for channeling billions of dollars and sophisticated weapons through Pakistan’s intelligence agency that is still responsible for helping the Taliban to kill Americans in Afghanistan and the border region with Pakistan.

And of course Ronbo's swift action after the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II...NOTHING

The Beirut Barracks Bombing (October 23, 1983 in Beirut, Lebanon) occurred during the Lebanese Civil War, when two truck bombs struck separate buildings housing United States and French military forces—members of the Multinational Force in Lebanon—killing 299 American and French servicemen. The organization Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the bombing.

Suicide bombers detonated each of the truck bombs. In the attack on the American Marines barracks, the death toll was 241 American servicemen: 220 Marines, 18 Navy personnel and three Army soldiers, along with sixty Americans injured, representing the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States Marine Corps since the Battle of Iwo Jima of World War II, the deadliest single-day death toll for the United States military since the first day of the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, and the deadliest single attack on Americans overseas since World War II.

Response

from the Americans, besides a few shellings. In December 1983, U.S. aircraft from the USS John F. Kennedy and USS Independence battle groups attacked Syrian targets in Lebanon, but this was ostensibly in response to Syrian missile attacks on American warplanes.

Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't make it any less of a lie.

Response

Repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't make it any less of a lie.

"Washington couldn't tell a lie, Nixon couldn't tell the truth, and Reagan couldn't tell the difference."
Mort Sahl

PROVE they are lies. The TRUTH Reagan FAILED.

What he saw, at 6:22 a.m. that bright Sunday in the fourth decade of the Cold War, was the future, coming straight at him, in the form of a 5-ton truck. It was Oct. 23, 1983, a day Ronald Reagan called the saddest of his presidency, maybe his life.

The truck would shatter the Marines' building with a bomb more powerful than 12,000 pounds of TNT — the biggest non-nuclear explosion since World War II, the FBI concluded.

It would kill 241 servicemembers, including 220 Marines — the Corps' bloodiest day since Iwo Jima. It would drive the U.S. out of Lebanon and lead some, including al-Qaeda founder Osama bin Laden, to conclude that when America gets its nose bloodied, it pulls back.

For Americans, Beirut was a seminal moment on a timeline that led to the 9/11 attacks, Afghanistan, Iraq and beyond.
It was a first shot in a clash with a militant, fundamentalist Islam — exemplified by groups such as Hezbollah and nations such as Iran — that would replace Soviet communism as the USA's chief adversary.

Shaping future U.S. policy

The Beirut bombing "cut a hole in the soul of the Marine Corps," says Jack Matthews, a retired lieutenant colonel who commanded the Marine battalion before the bombing and later wrote a doctoral dissertation about it.

It gave a boost to terrorism. "That's where the bad guys in the world today got their first bragging rights," says Eric Hammel, author of The Root: The Marines in Beirut, a history of the bombing.

It changed the way leaders thought about power:

• In a speech in 1984, Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger, who had opposed the Beirut mission, enunciated the lesson he drew from Lebanon: Don't commit insufficient military forces to an ill-defined mission with no clear national interest or exit strategy.

Weinberger gave the speech at the National Press Club nine months after President Reagan — who had said after the barracks bombing that the United States would never back down from terrorists — withdrew the Marines from Lebanon.

more

I never stated those weapons should be used against the government or to defend themselves "from" the government. I do not see that happening. I do feel that citizens having the right to arm themselves will mean no foreign army will invade. I also feel that no citizen should depend on anyone else to defend themselves or their family from bodily harm. It is and should always be an individual right, and I think the amendment is very clear. No interpretation is needed. There are quotes attributed to the men that wrote and signed the constitution that make it quite clear what they intended this amendment to mean for the people.

Fascination....

I'd say obsession...

that was a long time ago....

Yes it was quite a long time ago, but some things about human nature nature do not change. There are still bad individuals with the will to hurt other people. There are still nations that are very unstable. I'm very happy that I live in a country that allows me to defend myself and not depend on anyone else to do so.

Yes it was quite a long time ago, but some things about human nature nature do not change. There are still bad individuals with the will to hurt other people. There are still nations that are very unstable. I'm very happy that I live in a country that allows me to defend myself and not depend on anyone else to do so.

Why do you think that the U.S. is the only civilized nation that is so obsessive about guns?

Few, if any, American conservatives want any such thing.

Well all these Afghans in the boondocks want are no govt, keep their guns and be masters of their own destiny.

Trust me, the end game for a conservative Utopia is rural Afghanistan...

I want less government and more people responsible themselves
2nd amendment allows us to have guns

The left wants everything done for them. They want the government to hold their hands the whole way because they are not capable to do things without intervention

Last edited:

Why do you think that the U.S. is the only civilized nation that is so obsessive about guns?

Obsessive is your opinion, I disagree with the usage of that word in that statement.

I do not really care how other countries want to govern their people, I'm concerned about my country, my freedoms that so many people have fought and died for throughout the years. Why do liberals want the US modeled after other countries, usually european ones? We fought the British to get away from oppression and taxation problems. Only now to have liberals want us to be just like them.

Why are our troops still there, even though over 70% of the American people want us out?
Why did Obama sign a deal that will allow us to stay until at least 2024?
This is not about Liberal vs Conservative, If you think that you haven't been paying attention.

Forum List

Back