Why do conservatives want the US to be like Afghanistan?

given that you've lately taken to patronizing me... allow me to say, i know that ron paul isn't a neocon. and i'm very clear about what a neocon is.

and i stand by what i said because ineffective government may as well be no government and that is what they want in those areas.

I apologize if I've come across as patronizing.

However, your conception of neocons is incorrect if you believe that they believe in no government income programs.

apology accepted.

what do you think they believe in other than funding military action?

They believe in income support systems. Neocons are ex-liberals. Some may think there should be less or distributed differently, but they fundamentally disagree with libertarian conservatives that the free market is the final moral arbiter. Neocons believe the market is often lacking in morality. That is a big difference between the two.

given that you've lately taken to patronizing me... allow me to say, i know that ron paul isn't a neocon. and i'm very clear about what a neocon is.

and i stand by what i said because ineffective government may as well be no government and that is what they want in those areas.

However, your conception of neocons is incorrect if you believe that they believe in no government income programs.

It's a generic derogatory term aimed at uber cons....shrug

Yes. It is a term thrown around meant to disparage the right. And it is used in that context primarily by the left.

apology accepted.

They believe in income support systems. Neocons are ex-liberals. Some may think there should be less or distributed differently, but they fundamentally disagree with libertarian conservatives that the free market is the final moral arbiter. Neocons believe the market is often lacking in morality. That is a big difference between the two.

i don't see that as being neo-con at all. neo-cons haven't been ex liberals in years. rather, neocons are that part of the right which wants overly aggressive military action in the mid east...

you want to see a neo-con... people like RGS... jroc, ropey... the bomb bomb bomb iran crowd.

but not a dime for Head Start or WIC or planned parenthood... or the SEC or DoE... or health care...

and just to illustrate... as i said.. jroc = neocon.

you not neocon...

Last edited:
Yeah, but I find it interesting how US forces in Afghanistan get jumpy when they see Afghan's walking around with AK47's in their own back yard. All they are doing is what the American second amendment suggests. The irony is not lost on me...

Actually, no we are not jumpy when we see an Afghan with an AK-47. We are well aware of how life there is. We drove through a mud city once called Lashkar Gah, where everyone was armed and waving/smiling at us as we drove by. I saw a one armed man with a RPG. So you're wrong. We were smiling and waving back. No big deal. The only time we get jumpy is when those armed Afghanis fire those weapons at us, which is a natural human response to being shot at. When was the last time you were in Afghanistan and where do your opinions come from?

Most far right conservatives I know do not want to live here with no government whatsoever. They do want a much smaller federal government involved less in our everyday lives. Spend less, tax less, it's a simple concept.

Like most liberals you've taken this to the very extreme to the point of living in rural Afghanistan as an attempt to make a point. It's hyperbole and it does nothing to spur intellectual debate.

Yeah, but I find it interesting how US forces in Afghanistan get jumpy when they see Afghan's walking around with AK47's in their own back yard. All they are doing is what the American second amendment suggests. The irony is not lost on me...

Actually, no we are not jumpy when we see an Afghan with an AK-47. We are well aware of how life there is. We drove through a mud city once called Lashkar Gah, where everyone was armed and waving/smiling at us as we drove by. I saw a one armed man with a RPG. So you're wrong. We were smiling and waving back. No big deal. The only time we get jumpy is when those armed Afghanis fire those weapons at us, which is a natural human response to being shot at. When was the last time you were in Afghanistan and where do your opinions come from?

Most far right conservatives I know do not want to live here with no government whatsoever. They do want a much smaller federal government involved less in our everyday lives. Spend less, tax less, it's a simple concept.

Like most liberals you've taken this to the very extreme to the point of living in rural Afghanistan as an attempt to make a point. It's hyperbole and it does nothing to spur intellectual debate.

It's as outrageous as if conservatives made the claim that the left wing would want to live in a country like Afghanistan for the open trade in opium and to be able to enjoy the Dancing Boys of Afghanistan without reprisal.

apology accepted.

i don't see that as being neo-con at all. neo-cons haven't been ex liberals in years. rather, neocons are that part of the right which wants overly aggressive military action in the mid east...

you want to see a neo-con... people like RGS... jroc, ropey... the bomb bomb bomb iran crowd.

but not a dime for Head Start or WIC or planned parenthood... or the SEC or DoE... or health care...

you not neocon...

Bush passed the biggest expansion of government into American's lives since LBJ when he signed Medicare Part D. Discretionary, nondefense spending rose faster under Bush than it did under Carter.

All conservatives who promote a muscular foreign policy are not necessarily neocons. Reagan was not a neocon because he invaded Grenada or Panama.

you not neocon...

Bush passed the biggest expansion of government into American's lives since LBJ when he signed Medicare Part D. Discretionary, nondefense spending rose faster under Bush than it did under Carter.

All conservatives who promote a muscular foreign policy are not necessarily neocons. Reagan was not a neocon because he invaded Grenada or Panama.

Bush also was the only leader in world history to cut taxes during wartime... leading to a good number of the problems we're facing today. point taken as to Medicare Part D (although i'm told it's a nightmare)....

not muscular... overly aggressive.... generally centering around the agenda demanded by the PNAC.

and generally focused at the middle east. you saw that i specifically said middle east, right?

although, to be fair, i don't see a lot of people clamoring to attack grenada or panama.

I have studied history of the region for years...especially when it was a British colony, and of course the Russian presence in the country. And while you may be correct as to how it is now, I doubt those who were on the ground there first felt that way when they saw civilians carrying around weaponry.

Have also read caravans, by Mitchener, which was based on his years travelling through the country.

I've already amended my point about no govt. I stand by my point about guns and wanting to be left alone. Show me a uber conservative who doesn't believe in those tenets...

I am not a liberal. Only in uber conservative America am I a liberal. In the rest of the normal USA and world, I am a centrist.

It is an interesting region I agree, and worthy of study. After Sept 11th occurred, I was in country by mid October, and with the exception of special forces units we were one of the very first combat units with boots on the ground. I believe 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines beat us by a week or so. We were given a briefing on their culture for several weeks leading up to our deployment in country. We were very aware how they were with firearms, and none of us seemed nervous to see them armed. It didn't occur to me it was out of the ordinary. Until of course we were fired upon.

I'm very conservative when it comes to firearms and what I feel is the right to protect myself and family from harm. I am not afraid of any gun legislation and I don't buy into the constant fear of the evil left taking them away. I would like if the government were less invovled in my everyday life, but I understand government is needed.

Last edited:
I have wondered why, when Democrats talk about redistributing wealth, it is an effort to lower everyone's standard of living so the poor feel better needing help.

It is an interesting region I agree, and worthy of study. After Sept 11th occurred, I was in country by mid October, and with the exception of special forces units we were one of the very first combat units with boots on the ground. I believe 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines beat us by a week or so. We were given a briefing on their culture for several weeks leading up to our deployment in country. We were very aware how they were with firearms, and none of us seemed nervous to see them armed. It didn't occur to me it was out of the ordinary. Until of course we were fired upon.

I'm very conservative when it comes to firearms and what I feel is the right to protect myself and family from harm. I am not afraid of any gun legislation and I don't buy into the constant fear of the evil left taking them away. I would like if the government were less invovled in my everyday life, but I understand government is needed.

it's good that you feel that way about the country

Do you think the country can ever be 'tamed'? It seems history shows it can't.

Yeah, well, I'm an outsider and I find the American fascination with guns, well, fascinating...

Yeah, well, I'm an outsider and I find the American fascination with guns, well, fascinating...

No I do not think it can be tamed, it's a tribal region and most tribes are cut off from tribes 50 miles away. What we can, and have done though, is eliminate terrorist sects and high value individuals. With our efforts there I truly believe we've prevented more terrorist attacks, no matter how optimistic that may seem to some.

As to firearms. I think we have a right, and a responsibility to protect ourselves and our family. I do not feel comfortable trusting a police force, or the government as a whole to do that for me. What country are you from? I'm assuming Aussie from the roo there.

No I do not think it can be tamed, it's a tribal region and most tribes are cut off from tribes 50 miles away. What we can, and have done though, is eliminate terrorist sects and high value individuals. With our efforts there I truly believe we've prevented more terrorist attacks, no matter how optimistic that may seem to some.

As to firearms. I think we have a right, and a responsibility to protect ourselves and our family. I do not feel comfortable trusting a police force, or the government as a whole to do that for me. What country are you from? I'm assuming Aussie from the roo there.

Your first para is how I've described the region many times on this board with regard to being too tribal

NZ, though now live in Oz..

Forum List

Back