Why do conservatives want the US to be like Afghanistan?

Zero government on all those things? Really? Zero or less?

Please show us a prominent neocon who says we should have zero government programs. (PS, Ron Paul isn't a neocon.)

(PPS, Ron Paul doesn't say we should have zero government.)

yah.. just zero federal government.

as he makes his living off of that government and put his son into the family business.

Ron Paul is a Libertarian. A far right group. Neo Cons are left of center on most issues with only a few right of center views. Your buddy the OP claims they are far right. You obviously agree with him with the support you have given him in this thread. Or maybe you care to school him on what a Neo con is?

Few, if any, American conservatives want any such thing.

Well all these Afghans in the boondocks want are no govt, keep their guns and be masters of their own destiny.

Trust me, the end game for a conservative Utopia is rural Afghanistan...

:lol:

Just look at nearly every democrat ran city in America and you will see Greece :fu:

What an idiotic thread ya jackass
:cuckoo:

Suffering from sudden onset dementia, Grump?

If you're trying to annoy conservatives, stick it in the flame zone. But if this is a genuine question.... your intellect seems to have taken a sudden nosedive. I do hope its not permanent.

Few, if any, American conservatives want any such thing.

Well all these Afghans in the boondocks want are no govt, keep their guns and be masters of their own destiny.

Trust me, the end game for a conservative Utopia is rural Afghanistan...

Trust you? :lol::lol: Fucking ludicrous bullshit and we should 'trust you'? :lol: Damn, you are funny... just not in the way you think.

It is an interesting region I agree, and worthy of study. After Sept 11th occurred, I was in country by mid October, and with the exception of special forces units we were one of the very first combat units with boots on the ground. I believe 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines beat us by a week or so. We were given a briefing on their culture for several weeks leading up to our deployment in country. We were very aware how they were with firearms, and none of us seemed nervous to see them armed. It didn't occur to me it was out of the ordinary. Until of course we were fired upon.

I'm very conservative when it comes to firearms and what I feel is the right to protect myself and family from harm. I am not afraid of any gun legislation and I don't buy into the constant fear of the evil left taking them away. I would like if the government were less invovled in my everyday life, but I understand government is needed.

it's good that you feel that way about the country

Do you think the country can ever be 'tamed'? It seems history shows it can't.

Yeah, well, I'm an outsider and I find the American fascination with guns, well, fascinating...

Fascination....

I'd say obsession...

Yeah, well, I'm an outsider and I find the American fascination with guns, well, fascinating...

No I do not think it can be tamed, it's a tribal region and most tribes are cut off from tribes 50 miles away. What we can, and have done though, is eliminate terrorist sects and high value individuals. With our efforts there I truly believe we've prevented more terrorist attacks, no matter how optimistic that may seem to some.

As to firearms. I think we have a right, and a responsibility to protect ourselves and our family. I do not feel comfortable trusting a police force, or the government as a whole to do that for me. What country are you from? I'm assuming Aussie from the roo there.

Your first para is how I've described the region many times on this board with regard to being too tribal

NZ, though now live in Oz..

There is a really good book (one recommended on one of the Officer Training courses for the US Military) about the whole Afghanistan thing....

Pauses while CG rummages around her brain for the title....

Ohhhhh yea.... Butcher and Bolt by David Loyn.

A whole bunch of US military have read it.. as have I. It's a very good read.

It is an interesting region I agree, and worthy of study. After Sept 11th occurred, I was in country by mid October, and with the exception of special forces units we were one of the very first combat units with boots on the ground. I believe 2nd Battalion, 6th Marines beat us by a week or so. We were given a briefing on their culture for several weeks leading up to our deployment in country. We were very aware how they were with firearms, and none of us seemed nervous to see them armed. It didn't occur to me it was out of the ordinary. Until of course we were fired upon.

I'm very conservative when it comes to firearms and what I feel is the right to protect myself and family from harm. I am not afraid of any gun legislation and I don't buy into the constant fear of the evil left taking them away. I would like if the government were less invovled in my everyday life, but I understand government is needed.

Fascination....

I'd say obsession...

Some people feel that the 2nd amendment is the key to remaining a free nation. People have felt that way for quite a long time. The list includes George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and lots of others that you might remember.

Yeah, but I find it interesting how US forces in Afghanistan get jumpy when they see Afghan's walking around with AK47's in their own back yard. All they are doing is what the American second amendment suggests. The irony is not lost on me...

Actually, no we are not jumpy when we see an Afghan with an AK-47. We are well aware of how life there is. We drove through a mud city once called Lashkar Gah, where everyone was armed and waving/smiling at us as we drove by. I saw a one armed man with a RPG. So you're wrong. We were smiling and waving back. No big deal. The only time we get jumpy is when those armed Afghanis fire those weapons at us, which is a natural human response to being shot at. When was the last time you were in Afghanistan and where do your opinions come from?

Most far right conservatives I know do not want to live here with no government whatsoever. They do want a much smaller federal government involved less in our everyday lives. Spend less, tax less, it's a simple concept.

Like most liberals you've taken this to the very extreme to the point of living in rural Afghanistan as an attempt to make a point. It's hyperbole and it does nothing to spur intellectual debate.

I have studied history of the region for years...especially when it was a British colony, and of course the Russian presence in the country. And while you may be correct as to how it is now, I doubt those who were on the ground there first felt that way when they saw civilians carrying around weaponry.

Have also read caravans, by Mitchener, which was based on his years travelling through the country.

I've already amended my point about no govt. I stand by my point about guns and wanting to be left alone. Show me a uber conservative who doesn't believe in those tenets...

I am not a liberal. Only in uber conservative America am I a liberal. In the rest of the normal USA and world, I am a centrist.

You must have studied some strange materials: Afghanistan was never a British colony.

Actually, no we are not jumpy when we see an Afghan with an AK-47. We are well aware of how life there is. We drove through a mud city once called Lashkar Gah, where everyone was armed and waving/smiling at us as we drove by. I saw a one armed man with a RPG. So you're wrong. We were smiling and waving back. No big deal. The only time we get jumpy is when those armed Afghanis fire those weapons at us, which is a natural human response to being shot at. When was the last time you were in Afghanistan and where do your opinions come from?

Most far right conservatives I know do not want to live here with no government whatsoever. They do want a much smaller federal government involved less in our everyday lives. Spend less, tax less, it's a simple concept.

Like most liberals you've taken this to the very extreme to the point of living in rural Afghanistan as an attempt to make a point. It's hyperbole and it does nothing to spur intellectual debate.

I have studied history of the region for years...especially when it was a British colony, and of course the Russian presence in the country. And while you may be correct as to how it is now, I doubt those who were on the ground there first felt that way when they saw civilians carrying around weaponry.

Have also read caravans, by Mitchener, which was based on his years travelling through the country.

I've already amended my point about no govt. I stand by my point about guns and wanting to be left alone. Show me a uber conservative who doesn't believe in those tenets...

I am not a liberal. Only in uber conservative America am I a liberal. In the rest of the normal USA and world, I am a centrist.

You must have studied some strange materials: Afghanistan was never a British colony.

True....should I say influence....Although the Brit Empire did run their foreign policy for a while

Suffering from sudden onset dementia, Grump?

If you're trying to annoy conservatives, stick it in the flame zone. But if this is a genuine question.... your intellect seems to have taken a sudden nosedive. I do hope its not permanent.

It's not that far of a stretch. which part is wrong?

Do the pushtans love their peashooters? Why yes they do
Do they like little or no govt? Yes they do..

Ditto conservatives

Shrug

Thanks for the head's up about the book...will chck it out

Fascination....

I'd say obsession...

Some people feel that the 2nd amendment is the key to remaining a free nation. People have felt that way for quite a long time. The list includes George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and lots of others that you might remember.

that was a long time ago....

I know some people think that. It seems misguided to me given that the only crime set forth in the Constitution is Treason.

Citizens were never intended to use those weapons to defend themselves *from* the goverment. They were supposed to use them to *defend* the government in "well-ordered" militias. The fact that Miller contradicts that? Well, that wasn't a foregone conclusion and if you look at the decision, Breyer raised some very good questions that the majority failed to address.

True....should I say influence....Although the Brit Empire did run their foreign policy for a while

It was sort of a protectorate for some periods. But never formally part of the Empire.

reagan_taliban_1985.jpg

Forum List

Back