Why do Christians preach and spread the word?

If you are trying to help people be happy, why wouldnt it be compassion?

Whose definition of 'happy'? :dunno:

Do I not have a say in my happiness? Your help in the matter is neither solicited nor warranted.

If we waited around for someone to realize they needed something before talking to them about it, there would be alot more unhappy people. There is nothing compassionate about not sharing. If you dont wan to hear it. It's your choice. But Im not going to make your choice for you.

But isn't that, in fact, what you are doing? Trying to make my choice for me. After all, do you actually think someone can grow up in America and not hear at least the very basics about Christianity? Have you ever met anyone, above the age of 7, who had never heard of Christianity?

Christians want to kill non-Christians.

It's as simple as that.

:wtf:

That's an over-statement generalization if ever I've read one. Some of my best friends are Christians and I feel absolutely safe on their turf and in their dwellings.

While it may be annoying to see that sad look in their eyes regarding me when the discussion turns to the after-life, most Christians understand that, short of prayer, they are powerless in the equation. Few and far between are the Christians who believe that non believers can be dragged kicking and screaming in to heaven by legal or military force.

But you're not a Muslim.

And further, I have Christian friends who make me tear up, they have such love to give. They don't judge, or preach. They are there when I have questions. They don't slam my FB page when I share my feelings on SSM and women's rights.

They actually embody the Gospel. I very rarely see that happening on this board.

I see. And you must because of Mark. However, in Luke Jesus also instructed you, when told to leave them alone, to go outside the town and shake the dust from your feet.

In addition, Jesus said when you spread the word you are supposed to go from town to town with nothing but the clothes on your back. You don't carry a bag, food or money. Are you following that instruction as well?

Neither God, Jesus or any other person in the Bible commanded that every follower leave their home and family and forsake all property to travel penniless from city to city. Or perhaps you can quote for us that commandment, perhaps you can provide for us where in in the book I quoted from that God or Jesus commanded the good followers to do so when told they would be held accountable if they did not inform sinners and fallen righteous of their error?

Certainly. I refer you to Luke Chapter 9, Matthew Chapter 10 and Mark Chapter 6. I recognize he was talking to his disciples in those. Can you quote me the passage where Jesus commanded every one of his followers to proselytize?

Already provided you some.

Neither God, Jesus or any other person in the Bible commanded that every follower leave their home and family and forsake all property to travel penniless from city to city. Or perhaps you can quote for us that commandment, perhaps you can provide for us where in in the book I quoted from that God or Jesus commanded the good followers to do so when told they would be held accountable if they did not inform sinners and fallen righteous of their error?

Certainly. I refer you to Luke Chapter 9, Matthew Chapter 10 and Mark Chapter 6. I recognize he was talking to his disciples in those. Can you quote me the passage where Jesus commanded every one of his followers to proselytize?

Already provided you some.

No. I don't think you have. You referenced Ezekiel - which has no teachings from Jesus at all. You mentioned John, but did not indicate where in John you were finding that. So far, you have not provided a single quote where Jesus makes such a command on any but his disciples.

Do I not have a say in my happiness? Your help in the matter is neither solicited nor warranted.

If we waited around for someone to realize they needed something before talking to them about it, there would be alot more unhappy people. There is nothing compassionate about not sharing. If you dont wan to hear it. It's your choice. But Im not going to make your choice for you.

But isn't that, in fact, what you are doing? Trying to make my choice for me. After all, do you actually think someone can grow up in America and not hear at least the very basics about Christianity? Have you ever met anyone, above the age of 7, who had never heard of Christianity?

Uh, no.

Yet another dolt who doesn't understand what "choice" and "force" mean.

I promise you, Avatar isn't trying to make a choice for you. Making a choice for someone is removing that choice, and telling you about Salvation in no way removes your ability to reject it. What Avatar, and most other christians, do is share with you a choice that you can may.

Only in weirdo opposite land does the option of another choice = making a choice for you.

Which explains why pro-abortion loons think providing people more information about the babies they're aborting is anti-choice.

Last edited:

That's basic sales skills 101 - you have to show the prospect how miserable they've been all these years without your product/service. The fact that they don't know how miserable they are is irrelevant.

Uh, no.

I promise you, Avatar isn't trying to make a choice for you. Making a choice for someone is removing that choice, and telling you about Salvation in no way removes your ability to reject it. What Avatar, and most other christians, do is share with you a choice that you can may.

Only in weirdo opposite land does the option of another choice = making a choice for you.

Which explains why pro-abortion loons think providing people more information about the babies they're aborting is anti-choice.

Do you really think I am going to be impressed by insults?

That's basic sales skills 101 - you have to show the prospect how miserable they've been all these years without your product/service. The fact that they don't know how miserable they are is irrelevant.

No. I don't think so. I am attempting to present a different perspective to the question. That does not mean Avatar's perspective is any less valid. This is an exchange of points of view, not a battle.

Uh, no.

If you are going to seriously maintain that advising you of options is somehow *forcing* you to make a choice/making the choice for you (which by definition is removing choice), then you deserve to be insulted.

No. I don't think so. I am attempting to present a different perspective to the question. That does not mean Avatar's perspective is any less valid. This is an exchange of points of view, not a battle.

Your point of view is irrelevant because it is nonsensical. Your point of view is that presenting you with a choice is limiting your choice.

I don't really see much that's appealing in the lives of the Christians who are typically the most aggressive about marketing their invisible friend. That leads me to the conclusion that whatever they are selling, I'm not really interested in buying, any more than I'd be interested in buying a car with no tires, engine, or seats. But, I live in the south, so I basically deal with godsalesmen the same way i deal with people who sell amway.

Uh, no.

If you are going to seriously maintain that advising you of options is somehow *forcing* you to make a choice/making the choice for you (which by definition is removing choice), then you deserve to be insulted.

I never used the word "forced". That was all you. If you wish to have a conversation with me, then show some respect. I haven't insulted you. If you can't handle that, then enjoy a one sided conversation.

You don't deserve respect. I didn't say you said "forced". What you said is that Avatar was trying to make a decision for you. Which is another way to say force, but you wouldn't know that.

And that is why you don't deserve respect or to be taken seriously. You believe providing an option is narrowing choice down, and that is ludicrous. And that is the sum total of your objection to proselytizing.

As I have already pointed out, you don't understand these terms, so you don't belong in this discussion to begin with. Why should I show you respect when you're lying?

I've no doubt you will place me on ignore. Every one of you brain dead dweebs who waltzes in here thinking you have some sort of cerebral advantage over everyone else, based on the fact that you have altered the meaning of the words you like to throw around, to make the situation look like the polar opposite of what it actually is, puts me on ignore. Or at least, they say they put me on ignore. JakeStarkey comes to mind...people who cannot hold an intelligent conversation and who get called on it, and so opt out of the conversation because they don't like it pointed out over and over what complete idiots they are.

It doesn't matter. Your idiocy shines through regardless of whether or not you refuse to recognize it. It won't matter if you banter with me or not, I'll still comment on your retardisms, and anyone who reads your moronic jabberings will catch on very quickly, if they haven't already, which I suspect they have. They're just much more tolerant of restrictive, statist loons than I am.

You don't deserve respect. I didn't say you said "forced". What you said is that Avatar was trying to make a decision for you. Which is another way to say force, but you wouldn't know that.

And that is why you don't deserve respect or to be taken seriously. You believe providing an option is narrowing choice down, and that is ludicrous. And that is the sum total of your objection to proselytizing.

As I have already pointed out, you don't understand these terms, so you don't belong in this discussion to begin with. Why should I show you respect when you're lying?

I've no doubt you will place me on ignore. Every one of you brain dead dweebs who waltzes in here thinking you have some sort of cerebral advantage over everyone else, based on the fact that you have altered the meaning of the words you like to throw around, to make the situation look like the polar opposite of what it actually is, puts me on ignore. Or at least, they say they put me on ignore. JakeStarkey comes to mind...people who cannot hold an intelligent conversation and who get called on it, and so opt out of the conversation because they don't like it pointed out over and over what complete idiots they are.

It doesn't matter. Your idiocy shines through regardless of whether or not you refuse to recognize it. It won't matter if you banter with me or not, I'll still comment on your retardisms, and anyone who reads your moronic jabberings will catch on very quickly, if they haven't already, which I suspect they have. They're just much more tolerant of restrictive, statist loons than I am.

Okay. That's exactly what I have been talking about all along, re: setting a standard. If you are going to call yourself by His name, then there will be expecations of the "By their fruits you shall know them" variety.

You have a point and it is something I work on and struggle with. I have a hard time being kind to dishonest, anti-Christian assholes, though. I know I'm supposed to consider them all children, and in theory I do.

But I have a really hard time hiding my contempt for people who come on internet messageboards full of themselves and talking complete tripe.

I'm a lot better than I used to be. I'm a work in progress.

I would argue that there are plenty of people who know little to nothing about Christianity. Heck, we cant even get alot of professed Christians to study and live the Gospel. We are a society that is completely illiterate when it comes to the Bible let alone the things of God.

I would argue that there are countless people who have never said a prayer outloud.

Most people havent read the New Testament let alone the entire Bible.

Most Christians arent trying to live their religion. I wish they were, but they simply arent.

We need to repent. We need to humble ourselves and actually learn. We need to give up our sins. We need to stop lying. We need to get our financial house in order, first in our own homes and then in our community and nation.

How many people can even name the 10 commandments without looking them up?

Christians are living far below their privileges. If we would just humble ourselves and do what the Lord asks, we could see miracles on a regular basis. People would be healed. Our economy would be corrected. Families and communities will grow and be happy.

You have a point and it is something I work on and struggle with. I have a hard time being kind to dishonest, anti-Christian assholes, though. I know I'm supposed to consider them all children, and in theory I do.

But I have a really hard time hiding my contempt for people who come on internet messageboards full of themselves and talking complete tripe.

I'm a lot better than I used to be. I'm a work in progress.

Talk to the Lord about it and when you notice you are going to do something contrary to your belief, pray for a resistance to temptation. Its easy to fall into old habits though. We need the grace of God to fix ourselves before we can fix others.

I'm not sure we have to be fixed ourselves before we can fix others.

Like I said, I work on it.

But every now and then, I just can't believe it's wrong to point out the nastiness of the mechanics that are employed against Christians.

Forum List

Back