Why do Christians preach and spread the word?

How do you know?

Maybe somebody is reading who has been dishonest about what constitutes freedom and choice, and this struck a chord with them.

Just saying. There's a reason for everything. Even my failures.

While they will never admit it, preaching is an attempt to convince themselves by convincing someone else. The more they preach, the weaker their faith.

See, this sort of stuff, for example.

When you can't make it illegal to practice freedom of speech and freedom of religion, then lie, misrepresent the bible, and pretend that in obeying the Word, Christians are undermining their Faith.

That's pure Satan right there, folks.

While they will never admit it, preaching is an attempt to convince themselves by convincing someone else. The more they preach, the weaker their faith.

When you can't make it illegal to practice freedom of speech and freedom of religion, then lie, misrepresent the bible, and pretend that in obeying the Word, Christians are undermining their Faith.

That is NO FAITH right there, folks!

I would argue that there are plenty of people who know little to nothing about Christianity. Heck, we cant even get alot of professed Christians to study and live the Gospel. We are a society that is completely illiterate when it comes to the Bible let alone the things of God.

I would argue that there are countless people who have never said a prayer outloud.

Most people havent read the New Testament let alone the entire Bible.

Most Christians arent trying to live their religion. I wish they were, but they simply arent.

We need to repent. We need to humble ourselves and actually learn. We need to give up our sins. We need to stop lying. We need to get our financial house in order, first in our own homes and then in our community and nation.

How many people can even name the 10 commandments without looking them up?

Christians are living far below their privileges. If we would just humble ourselves and do what the Lord asks, we could see miracles on a regular basis. People would be healed. Our economy would be corrected. Families and communities will grow and be happy.

Well, I can't quibble with you on this. Growing within your faith is important. Assisting others to grow in theirs is a fine ambition.

Personally, I have never had a problem with someone wanting to discuss this. It has never tempted me to become Christian but it has often made me consider my own beliefs in greater detail.

I suppose where the conflict comes in is when someone attempts this and considers any response other than acceptance as an attack. The reality is that not everyone is a Christian. In fact, most people in the world are not and they are just as involved in their faith as any Christian. If you go out of your way to share your faith with others, you must be prepared for them to share right back. Even if what they share is not what you believe.

But you can't control how they perceive you...so what is the problem? You can't force people to perceive you in the way you wish to be perceived, particularly if you are dishonest in your approach.

Which you are, or at least, which you are in this thread. If you maintain that providing a person with the option of salvation is limiting their options, then you're dishonest. Your objection is to having your dishonesty pointed out. That's all it is.

2 Timothy 4:2

Preach the word; be instant in season , out of season;reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

4:3

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers , having itching ears;

4:4

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Hebrews 6:10

For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister,

6:11

And we desire that every one of you do shew the same dilligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:

I would argue that there are plenty of people who know little to nothing about Christianity. Heck, we cant even get alot of professed Christians to study and live the Gospel. We are a society that is completely illiterate when it comes to the Bible let alone the things of God.

I would argue that there are countless people who have never said a prayer outloud.

Most Christians arent trying to live their religion. I wish they were, but they simply arent.

We need to repent. We need to humble ourselves and actually learn. We need to give up our sins. We need to stop lying. We need to get our financial house in order, first in our own homes and then in our community and nation.

Christians are living far below their privileges. If we would just humble ourselves and do what the Lord asks, we could see miracles on a regular basis. People would be healed. Our economy would be corrected. Families and communities will grow and be happy.

Sincere compliment, and I hope you take it in the spirit in which it is offered: If more Christians conducted themselves as you do, Avatar, I would have a much more positive view of the religion than I do.

No one on the board has been more consistent in defending the rights of Christians to express themselves than me. I don't believe religious people are entitled to special privileges in society that aren't extended to other groups. But, they absolutely should have free speech, and I, at least, will always support this right.

I don't think, however, that there is anything inappropriate in pointing out the ways in which believers make a nuisance of themselves to people who aren't interested in their message. You have free speech rights to make yourselves annoying (from my perspective), and similarly, I have every right to point out how annoying you are. I have free speech to express my heretical discomfiting opinions about religion, and you have every right to express how annoying you find me. If you want to exercise your free speech rights, you may find that someone else reacts to this free speech and exercises their own. You can't have your rights while denying them to someone else.

It seems like when you equate me with Satan, you're trying to silence me in the same way you complain about being silenced.

Maybe that gets you bonus points in church on Sunday, but it sure as hell makes you look like a complete hypocrite on USMB.

Last edited:

Well, I can't quibble with you on this. Growing within your faith is important. Assisting others to grow in theirs is a fine ambition.

Personally, I have never had a problem with someone wanting to discuss this. It has never tempted me to become Christian but it has often made me consider my own beliefs in greater detail.

I suppose where the conflict comes in is when someone attempts this and considers any response other than acceptance as an attack. The reality is that not everyone is a Christian. In fact, most people in the world are not and they are just as involved in their faith as any Christian. If you go out of your way to share your faith with others, you must be prepared for them to share right back. Even if what they share is not what you believe.

I dont consider it an attack. Not sure why I would. People can disagree. I know an attack when I see one. Discussing things isnt one. If I cant convince you that my way is better, than I will do what I can to lift you your own way.

There is nothing to fear from dialogue. The Gospel can stand on it's own feet.

Sincere compliment, and I hope you take it in the spirit in which it is offered: If more Christians conducted themselves as you do, Avatar, I would have a much more positive view of the religion than I do.

I appreciately the compliment though i wasnt expecting it. I sincerely believe everything I just wrote. I think Christians need to step up their game and I include myself in that category.

I've had enough experiences in my life to recognize that God's hand is at work in our individual lives and in society if we open our eyes to see it. And I know the powers of godliness cannot be handled or maintained except upon the principles of righteousness. If we but humble ourselves and repent of more of our sins eliminating them as we can in our lives, the powers of God would be more clearly manifest in all of our lives and we would all be much happier. But if Christians cant figure that out, how would we convince those who differ in faith?

I dont consider it an attack. Not sure why I would. People can disagree. I know an attack when I see one. Discussing things isnt one. If I cant convince you that my way is better, than I will do what I can to lift you your own way.

There is nothing to fear from dialogue. The Gospel can stand on it's own feet.

It was not my intention to suggest you did see it as an attack. I was speaking in more general terms for the thread as opposed to you specifically - though it was your post I was responding to. This is kind of a round table discussion with people joining in and some just reading.

I agree with you completely and I respect your faith and approach. There is nothing at all to fear from dialogue and much to be gained from it.

I personally have no desire to convince you my way is better. If I thought for a moment that was happening, I would terminate the conversation. My way works for me. How can I conceivably know what works for you?

I appreciately the compliment though i wasnt expecting it. I sincerely believe everything I just wrote. I think Christians need to step up their game and I include myself in that category.

I've had enough experiences in my life to recognize that God's hand is at work in our individual lives and in society if we open our eyes to see it. And I know the powers of godliness cannot be handled or maintained except upon the principles of righteousness. If we but humble ourselves and repent of more of our sins eliminating them as we can in our lives, the powers of God would be more clearly manifest in all of our lives and we would all be much happier. But if Christians cant figure that out, how would we convince those who differ in faith?

One of the reasons that I miss living in Utah (I lived in the Salt Lake metro area for 10 years) is that I always knew where my Mormon friends stood on certain subjects. Some could be fairly self-righteous towards the gentiles in their midst, but in general, I found them much easier to live around than the fundamentalist evangelicals we are surrounded by in the south.

We would always invite the missionary pairs in for a glass of cold lemonade or ice water during the summer if they knocked on my door while tracting. I had no intention of conversion, in fact, I find some of the beliefs of your church quite strange, but they were young men/women who were far from home, doing work on their own dime that they felt passionate about. That's a lovely thing. I also respected the consistency and commitment to service of the LDS hierarchy. One of the most Christ-like people I've ever had the pleasure of working with was Elder Alexander Morrison. Fabulous, lovely man.

I remember when I was working with very high risk teenagers and gang members for a living, approaching the local ecumenical council and asking if they would be willing to be involved in reaching out to these teenagers and young adults. I was unanimously declined. Elder Morrison, on the other hand, opened up the church basketball leagues and gymnasiums; found ways for poor children and teens to get involved in scout troops (and get their fees/expenses paid for); opened up LDS social services to provide counseling services to non LDS families who couldn't get assistance elsewhere, and even found a way to get the LDS church to pay for a chapel attached to the detention center to provide youth with access to non-denominational religious services.

He is one of my personal heroes.

In fact, knowing him so well probably led on some levels to the demise of my evangelical beliefs. I just could not believe that a righteous/just/merciful God would condemn someone as Christlike as Elder Morrison to hell simply for not being an evangelical and following our particular variation of Christian dogma.

Last edited:
I love Mormons too..

My dad's family was Mormon...my grandma always had a bible and the book of Mormon by her rocking chair. But she never shared her faith.

I've also worked with them, and better people to work with you'll never meet. Sober, conscientious, family oriented...and for some reason generally good looking! Maybe that's a coincidence, but seriously! And you never have to be embarassed for them for dressing like assholes. They're always appropriate in their work attire!

I love Mormons too..

My dad's family was Mormon...my grandma always had a bible and the book of Mormon by her rocking chair. But she never shared her faith.

I've also worked with them, and better people to work with you'll never meet. Sober, conscientious, family oriented...and for some reason generally good looking! Maybe that's a coincidence, but seriously! And you never have to be embarassed for them for dressing like assholes. They're always appropriate in their work attire!

They do have awesome genes, as a whole. I've seen some fuglies who looked like a Mr. Potato Head gone wrong, but they're few and far between when considered generally.

Forum List

Back