Why do Americans feel like taxes are somehow the government robbing them of money?

[

Defense is a legitimate function of government. One of the very few. You can add police, courts and few things like that to the list.

What about;

Fire Department
Life Guard
Public Works
National Park Service
BLM

During most of the history of this country fire departments were voluntary. The government shouldn't be paying for life guards. The people that go to the water should have to pay for them. If you want to go to a park then pay the price of having the park available to you as a user fee. BLM is a waste of money for the most part.

Public works should be paid for by user fees. Certainly roads fall into that category. There is nothing wrong in collecting a fee when you buy fuel to pay for the roads you drive on. After all, their ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The same with utilities. They should be paid for by a user fee. I think we all can agree on things like that.

I think that user fees should be used to pay for things like you mentioned in your list. For instance, why should taxes be collected from me to pay for somebody else going to Yellowstone National Park if I never go? Why should somebody in Idaho have to pay for me to visit the Ft Jefferson National Park in Key West?

However, your list fails to mention two big cost items that we all are taxed on.

First is the government establishing filthy ass programs like Social Security and Medicare and making you pay for them. I am quite capable of providing for my own retirement and health care and I sure as hell don't need the friggin government and its stupid ass programs forced on me. If somebody else doesn't provide for their own retirement and health care that is their problem not mine.

The second is the idea of stealing money from those that earn it and giving to those that didn't earn it. The government should not be allowed to redistribute wealth and/or income. There should be absolutely no welfare, subsidies, entitlements or bailouts. Zero for anybody.

There is a legitimate role for government but it is not the welfare state or the nanny state.

During most of the history of this country fire departments were voluntary. The government shouldn't be paying for life guards. The people that go to the water should have to pay for them. If you want to go to a park then pay the price of having the park available to you as a user fee. BLM is a waste of money for the most part.

Public works should be paid for by user fees. Certainly roads fall into that category. There is nothing wrong in collecting a fee when you buy fuel to pay for the roads you drive on. After all, their ain't no such thing as a free lunch. The same with utilities. They should be paid for by a user fee. I think we all can agree on things like that.

I think that user fees should be used to pay for things like you mentioned in your list. For instance, why should taxes be collected from me to pay for somebody else going to Yellowstone National Park if I never go? Why should somebody in Idaho have to pay for me to visit the Ft Jefferson National Park in Key West?

However, your list fails to mention two big cost items that we all are taxed on.

First is the government establishing filthy ass programs like Social Security and Medicare and making you pay for them. I am quite capable of providing for my own retirement and health care and I sure as hell don't need the friggin government and its stupid ass programs forced on me. If somebody else doesn't provide for their own retirement and health care that is their problem not mine.

The second is the idea of stealing money from those that earn it and giving to those that didn't earn it. The government should not be allowed to redistribute wealth and/or income. There should be absolutely no welfare, subsidies, entitlements or bailouts. Zero for anybody.

There is a legitimate role for government but it is not the welfare state or the nanny state.

What a bitter old fart you are.

Forum List

Back