Why did Jimmy Carter accomplish so little during his 4 years as president?

Do you even realize you're moronically claiming Iran, who murdered 241 U.S. servicemen, was afraid of Reagan?

Apples and oranges... Reagan obviously had the bargaining power where Carter was impotent. Just look how well he dealt with the Contras. Reagan was a wheeler dealer. :)

Sorry, but Carter was one of the weakest and most ineffective presidents in U.S. history. Obama, however, will go down as the worst.

Bullshit ! he stood up to the Iranians(didn't give them weapons for hostages),stood up to the Soviets(didn't ignore their human right abuses), stood up to OPEC(preached Energy independence, not climbing in bed with the Saudis), he stood up to the Federal Reserve bankers( didn't let Federal bankers rob American taxpayers blind)

None of which can be said about Reagan or Bush.
Bullshit! He got bitch slapped by the Ayatollah, and when The Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, Carter tried to call Breznev and Breznev wouldn't even come to the phone (the "red phone"). Opec screwed him over too. Carter's answer to that was to put price freezes on gas at the retail level. Idiot! He drove all the little independents out of business, leaving only the big companies like Shell, Exxon, Mobil.
And he tol us to wear cardigan sweater vests and turn the thermostat down.....

The era of malaise was a fucking disaster for America....I hated that stupid motherfucker.......
He outlawed Christmas lights, too.
Carter also emboldened the Soviets to invade Afghanistan, allowed a criminal gang of muslim terrorists to overthrow the shah and then he poured fuel on that fire by giving the shah asylum all the while essentially cutting off Iranian oil and forcing more gas rationing. What a job.
At least his problems were mostly a result of bad responses. Obama has actually instigated all of our current problems.

Just keep telling yourself that, fucktard. Maybe it'll help you deal with yet another epic rejection of liberal bullshit policies similar to 1980.
I don't have to tell myself that -- I played the video of Walter Cronkite announcing it to the world -- while Jimmy Carter was president.

And your rightarded idiocy that Iranians released the hostages because they feared Reagan is beyond laughable given the Iranians' hand in murdering 241 of our troops while Reagan was their commander-in-chief. An attack, by the way, which Reagan didn't even respond to.
Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...LMAO
Yes, a planet you've been diverted from for decades.

Here's what reality looks like ....
"The word from the Associated Press now quotes an Iranian official that the plane with the hostages has taken off from Iran airport." ~ Walter Cronkite
What a pity you can't recognize reality.
What a pity that you can't ACCEPT reality. They waited until the last minute to release the hostages as a final "fuck you" to Jimmy Carter. He didn't have shit to do with their release, it was his loss to Ronald Reagan that prompted it. But cling to your liberal fantasy (like the one you have about the electoral college giving the election to Hillary). :lol:
Do you even realize you're moronically claiming Iran, who murdered 241 U.S. servicemen, was afraid of Reagan?

Do you also realize you admit you have no knowledge of the months of negotiations between Carter's administration and Iran?

It seemed within reach. After months of negotiations the United States had agreed to release several billion dollars in Iranian gold and bank assets, frozen in American banks just after the seizure of the embassy. The government of Iran, now involved in a war with neighboring Iraq, was desperate for money and therefore seemed willing to release the hostages.

more...
Give it up, Carter was an impotent and ineffective president who got bitchslapped by every tin horn dictator on the planet as well as the Soviet Union. Once he lost the election, he had no power to negotiate a damn thing, including the release of the hostages. If he had had anything to do with their release it would not have happened BEFORE the election, when he was still in a position of power, not after he lost. What incentive would Iran have to negotiate anything with the guy who just lost? The answer is NONE. That's why they waited until the last minute to release them (just in time to avoid retaliation by the new President) Is it possible you could be that stupid? That appears to be the case.

I always assumed he had to deal with a congress of the other party but i just checked and that is false. Democrats had huge majorities in both houses!

During his first two years dems held the senate 61-38 ( 1 indy} and the House 292-143

His next two years it was 58-41 ( 1 indy) and 277-158.

He prolly could have made a lot of changes if he wanted to, but chose not to. I like that. In particular, he didn't start any wars though the bankers and news media tried to push him into a war with the staged Iran hostage crisis of 1979. He was NOT a weak president. He stood up to the war profiteers.

Jimmy Carter was a horrible President. I lived through him. We had interest rates at 22%, that was a typical home mortgage rate. Inflation at 10%. Unemployment extremely high. The sentence back then was that the unemployed in this nation could hold hands and reach across it. The very first thing he did was reduce the amount of mortgage interest deduction one could deduct which cost the middle class a lot more money in income tax. Democrats got to where they hated him. He was very weak on foreign policy. The icing on the cake 50 American hostages held by Iran for 18 months that made the nightly news every night. Then a failed rescue attempt. Really the only people I have ever heard speak kindly of Carter, where teachers, and that's because they got a raise, while the students they taught were having to go to school with holes in their shoes. Everyone in the private sector suffered under Jimmy Carter.

Which resulted in this:

ElectoralCollege1980-Large.png

But Jimmy Carter may get beat here with Donald Trump in office. Even though Republicans have the majority in both houses, Trump & his supporters have made a lot of enemies there. Republicans in the Senate and the house certainly have no loyalty to Trump. Senate & House Republicans didn't want Trump, and they have often made that very clear. Trump also has been campaigning on several things that Republicans would never approve of. Undoing existing trade agreements, the wall, mass deportation, etc. etc. Hillary Clinton is now 1.7 million votes ahead of Trump, so his mandates are down the toilet.

IOW--Donald Trump may be our first lame duck President before he's even sworn in, and that will result in the next Jimmy Carter type Presidency.

Last edited:

Apples and oranges... Reagan obviously had the bargaining power where Carter was impotent. Just look how well he dealt with the Contras. Reagan was a wheeler dealer. :)
Reagan wasn't president yet, he had no bargaining power. Meanwhile, Carter did. In the form of billions of dollars which the Iranians accepted as payment to release the hostages; which they did in the final minutes of Carter's presidency.

I don't have to tell myself that -- I played the video of Walter Cronkite announcing it to the world -- while Jimmy Carter was president.

And your rightarded idiocy that Iranians released the hostages because they feared Reagan is beyond laughable given the Iranians' hand in murdering 241 of our troops while Reagan was their commander-in-chief. An attack, by the way, which Reagan didn't even respond to.
Meanwhile, back on Planet Earth...LMAO
Yes, a planet you've been diverted from for decades.

Here's what reality looks like ....
"The word from the Associated Press now quotes an Iranian official that the plane with the hostages has taken off from Iran airport." ~ Walter Cronkite
What a pity you can't recognize reality.
What a pity that you can't ACCEPT reality. They waited until the last minute to release the hostages as a final "fuck you" to Jimmy Carter. He didn't have shit to do with their release, it was his loss to Ronald Reagan that prompted it. But cling to your liberal fantasy (like the one you have about the electoral college giving the election to Hillary). :lol:

Do you also realize you admit you have no knowledge of the months of negotiations between Carter's administration and Iran?

It seemed within reach. After months of negotiations the United States had agreed to release several billion dollars in Iranian gold and bank assets, frozen in American banks just after the seizure of the embassy. The government of Iran, now involved in a war with neighboring Iraq, was desperate for money and therefore seemed willing to release the hostages.

more...
Give it up, Carter was an impotent and ineffective president who got bitchslapped by every tin horn dictator on the planet as well as the Soviet Union. Once he lost the election, he had no power to negotiate a damn thing, including the release of the hostages. If he had had anything to do with their release it would not have happened BEFORE the election, when he was still in a position of power, not after he lost. What incentive would Iran have to negotiate anything with the guy who just lost? The answer is NONE. That's why they waited until the last minute to release them (just in time to avoid retaliation by the new President) Is it possible you could be that stupid? That appears to be the case.
Moron, the incentive was the $8b payoff they accepted to release the hostages. And again, you reveal yourself to be the idiot you are claiming they feared Reagan when they killed 241 U.S. servicemen while Reagan was president.

Last edited:
I always assumed he had to deal with a congress of the other party but i just checked and that is false. Democrats had huge majorities in both houses!

During his first two years dems held the senate 61-38 ( 1 indy} and the House 292-143

His next two years it was 58-41 ( 1 indy) and 277-158.

He prolly could have made a lot of changes if he wanted to, but chose not to. I like that. In particular, he didn't start any wars though the bankers and news media tried to push him into a war with the staged Iran hostage crisis of 1979. He was NOT a weak president. He stood up to the war profiteers.

Jimmy Carter was a horrible President. I lived through him. We had interest rates at 22%, that was a typical home mortgage rate. Inflation at 10%. Unemployment extremely high. The sentence back then was that the unemployed in this nation could hold hands and reach across it. The very first thing he did was reduce the amount of mortgage interest deduction one could deduct which cost the middle class a lot more money in income tax. Democrats got to where they hated him. He was very weak on foreign policy. The icing on the cake 50 American hostages held by Iran for 18 months that made the nightly news every night. Then a failed rescue attempt. Really the only people I have ever heard speak kindly of Carter, where teachers, and that's because they got a raise, while the students they taught were having to go to school with holes in their shoes. Everyone in the private sector suffered under Jimmy Carter.

Which resulted in this:

ElectoralCollege1980-Large.png

But Jimmy Carter may get beat here with Donald Trump in office. Even though Republicans have the majority in both houses, Trump & his supporters have made a lot of enemies there. Republicans in the Senate and the house certainly have no loyalty to Trump. Senate & House Republicans didn't want Trump, and they have often made that very clear. Trump also has been campaigning on several things that Republicans would never approve of. Undoing existing trade agreements, the wall, mass deportation, etc. etc. Hillary Clinton is now 1.7 million votes ahead of Trump, so his mandates are down the toilet.

IOW--Donald Trump may be our first lame duck President before he's even sworn in, and that will result in the next Jimmy Carter type Presidency.
I agree with you that Carter was a shitty president but your memory is faulty. Interest rates peaked at about 20% while he was president and unemployment never went above 7.8%.

the incentive was the $8b payoff they accepted to release the hostages.
The Ayatolla was not motivated by money, he was a religious fanatic, he executed most of the people who were negotiating with Carter. And the $8 billion payoff you're talking about was THEIR money to begin with (frozen assets). That was the first demand met by the capitulating Carter, so that was already a done deal, long before the 1980 election. If that had been why they released the hostages, it would have happened long before Reagan was a factor. But it didn't happen until Inauguration Day. You don't know wtf you're talking about.

The Ayatolla was not motivated by money, he was a religious fanatic, he executed most of the people who were negotiating with Carter. And the $8 billion payoff you're talking about was THEIR money to begin with (frozen assets). That was the first demand met by the capitulating Carter, so that was already a done deal, long before the 1980 election. If that had been why they released the hostages, it would have happened long before Reagan was a factor. But it didn't happen until Inauguration Day. You don't know wtf you're talking about.
I just posted a link to a history website which explained it. Have a third grader explain it to ya. :rolleyes:

I just posted a link to a history website which explained it. Have a third grader explain it to ya. :rolleyes:
I consult the history link in my own vivid memory. The Iranian muslim terrorists leveraged Carter's ouster and emphasized that by releasing those hostages the day he officially left office. All due to Carter granting safe haven to the shah.

I consult the history link in my own vivid memory. The Iranian muslim terrorists leveraged Carter's ouster and emphasized that by releasing those hostages the day he officially left office. All due to Carter granting safe haven to the shah.
Hopefully, you'll understand why I prefer actual history over the dimmed recollections of brain-addled conservatives.

Here's a second link on the subject...

On the day of Reagan’s inauguration, January 20, 1981, the United States freed almost $8 billion in frozen Iranian assets, and the 52 hostages were released after 444 days.

Hostage rescue mission ends in disaster - Apr 24, 1980 - HISTORY.com

I doubt if you were even alive during that time. If you were, you must have been stoned the whole time.

I doubt if you were even alive during that time. If you were, you must have been stoned the whole time.
It's not my problem you're allergic to reality.

Hopefully, you'll understand why I prefer actual history over the dimmed recollections of brain-addled conservatives.

On the day of Reagan’s inauguration, January 20, 1981, the United States freed almost $8 billion in frozen Iranian assets, and the 52 hostages were released after 444 days.

Like I already explained to you, the money was a done deal early on. That's not something that was agreed to on Inauguration Day, moron.

Don't forget that the iranians released black hostages in the hope of creating friction and division among Americans. They were toying with us.
Carter failed to intervene before the revolt could gain leverage. Iran was not only oil-rich but they bordered the USSR which was very strategic during the Cold War.
The nightly news report on ABC evolved into the long running news show Nightline. Ted Koppel can thank Iran for his success

I'm no conservative and my recollection is more accurate and honest than history spin.

Like I already explained to you, the money was a done deal early on. That's not something that was agreed to on Inauguration Day, moron.
You are severely retarded. Here's a third reference. This one is a New York Times article which explains how the funds were not released until inauguration day... rendering you even more wrong than you were previously...

Once the escrow account was established, major American banks electronically transferred $5.5 billion to the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which in turn transferred this amount and the Iranian assets it already held into the escrow account in the Bank of England. The agreement with Iran required that the Bank of England certify that the escrow account held $7.955 billion before Iran would be obliged to release the hostages.

The Bank of England made the necessary certification early this morning. When the 52 hostages had departed from Iranian air space, the Government of Algeria certified to the Algerian central bank, which controlled the escrow fund, that the hostages were free, and it, in turn, instructed the Bank of England to transfer the funds out of the escrow fund.

UNFROZEN ASSETS RECIEVED SO FAR BY IRANIANS COME TO $2.9 BILLION

I'm no conservative and my recollection is more accurate and honest than history spin.
Obviously it's not.

Don't forget that the iranians released black hostages in the hope of creating friction and division among Americans. They were toying with us.
Carter failed to intervene before the revolt could gain leverage. Iran was not only oil-rich but they bordered the USSR which was very strategic during the Cold War.
The nightly news report on ABC evolved into the long running news show Nightline. Ted Koppel can thank Iran for his success
It was originally called "America Held Hostage". Ted got lucky.

Forum List

Back