Why did I buy Salmon at Walmart?

Kicking myself in the ass.
Never bought anything other than household stuff at Walmart, or things like coffee etc.
I saw a sign that said 'Fresh Alaskan Wild Caught Salmon"... at Walmart??
Looked at it in the package, good color... okay... I'll try it.
Well that was stupid. $12/ lb. should have been my first clue. Well...okay 2nd clue.
So... here we sit eating grilled cheese after throwing out the Salmon.
F*cking horrible. Didn't even taste like Salmon. Didn't taste like anything. How did they even package this where the color stays good, but the flavor disappears??

At least the grilled cheese is good. Which I didn't buy at Walmart.

Years back my wife bought a couple of whole frozen chickens from Walmart. Both were spoiled and partially decayed when thawed. Ever since then we won't touch Walmart meat. We try to buy our meat from local butchers or farmers when they are butchering. Failing that, we hit up a couple of the local ma and pa or chain grocery stores. Fish, on the other hand, is a bit trickier in the quality department. On a slightly different note, a drive through downtown Baltimore will reveal several "ethnic" fish and chicken restaurants that loudly advertise "fresh lake trout". Yeah, sure. More like catfish from the Hanover Street bridge.

Frozen prepackaged fish is usually the worst. I am sure there are exceptions, but I am not a fan. I will go to the local fish market if I want truly fresh fish.

I avoid Walmart a lot now. Don't want the competition to be gone.........and the food at the smaller places is usually better.

Grilled cheese is very good though.
Some brioche bread buttered on the outside with a couple of kraft slices of singles in the middle. All bought at walmart. mmm!

We buy all of our meat from a local butcher.
We buy seafood mostly from a store 40 miles away, occasionally from Fresh Thyme which has decent seafood.
We haven't went to the seafood store for 2-3 months, just didn't want to drive there or pay the cost of fresh seafood in Indiana. I saw these packs in ice, was not frozen. Only seafood you can buy frozen is shrimp.
In the back of mind I knew $12/lb. for wild caught Alaskan Salmon is too good to be true. And it was.

WHY THE FUUUUUUUCK are you going to HellMart??????

1647153036139.png

Kicking myself in the ass.
Never bought anything other than household stuff at Walmart, or things like coffee etc.
I saw a sign that said 'Fresh Alaskan Wild Caught Salmon"... at Walmart??
Looked at it in the package, good color... okay... I'll try it.
Well that was stupid. $12/ lb. should have been my first clue. Well...okay 2nd clue.
So... here we sit eating grilled cheese after throwing out the Salmon.
F*cking horrible. Didn't even taste like Salmon. Didn't taste like anything. How did they even package this where the color stays good, but the flavor disappears??

At least the grilled cheese is good. Which I didn't buy at Walmart.
It what happens to food when its frozen for a long time.

It what happens to food when its frozen for a long time.
Well that is the thing. It said right on the package... never frozen. And the texture of the flesh was right. It just had no flavor. It tasted like cardboard. I don't know what species of Alaskan Salmon that, on the label said wild caught, never frozen. that taste like nothing. My guess, is they buy up a bunch of it, pack it in saline solution for increased shelf life and sell it as "fresh" when it is anything but.
I should have known better.

Forum List

Back