Why did Hitler declare war on the United States?

The USA had been in an undeclared war vs Germany since 1940, hitler was sure that once Japan was in the war the USA would find a way to make it a declared war vs Germany.

He also hoped the Japanese would open a second front vs the Soviets in asia, something the japanese absolutely refused to do as they had lost two battles to Russia in the 1930s.

Hitler was also a gambler, he believed that if the war with the USA went from cold to hot there was a chance to interdict allied shipping to Russia and Britain (he was right, in the first 6 months German U boats ran wild off teh US coast) which was hurting Germany badly.

Hitler was not stupid, he knew it was coming so he decided to try the war on his terms instead of waiting for a US declaration which might catch teh germans in no postion to oppose it.

Had Hitler been aware of the Japanese getting theirs asses kicked by the Russians he never would have been so bold and arrogant. The same army that kicked the ass of the Japanese was brought to Moscow from the far east for its defense. The Russians counterattacked on the 6 th of December knowing that the Japanese were going to attack the United States. The Germans were driven back 100 or more miles from Moscow.

Had Hitler not declared war, the United States would have its war in the Pacific. Hitlers declaration of war was an act of desperation. This was soon followed by the Wannsee meeting where the Final Solution was agreed.

☭proletarian☭;1908192 said:
I vaguely recall reading of Hitler promising Mexico it could have the US if it attacked us and helped him take us out.

That was the Kaiser.

It is funny you brought up "Kaiser". Henry Keiser built the "LIberty Ships" to offset the German submarines in delivering supplies to britain. I met Henry in 1960 beachcombing near my childhood home on Orcas Island. Hitler was not expecting our industry to be turned against him and that is the real reason he jumped on the bandwagon when we declaired war on Japan.

Because he was nuts - power does that to some.

"As a consequence of the further extension of President Roosevelt's policy, which is aimed at unrestricted world domination and dictatorship the U.S.A. together with England have not hesitated from using any means to dispute the rights of the German, Italian and Japanese nations to the basis of their natural existence. The Governments of the U.S.A. and of England have therefore resisted, not only now but also for all time, every just understanding meant to bring about a better New Order in the world. Since the beginning of the war the American President, Roosevelt, has been guilty of a series of the worst crimes against international law; illegal seizure of ships and other property of German and Italian nationals were coupled with the threat to, and looting of, those who were deprived of their liberty by being interned. Roosevelt's ever increasing attacks finally went so far that he ordered the American Navy to attack everywhere ships under the German and Italian flags, and to sink them-this in gross violation of international law. American ministers boasted of having destroyed German submarines in this criminal way. German and Italian merchantships were attacked by American cruisers, captured and their crews imprisoned. With no attempt at an official denial there has now been revealed in America President Roosevelt's plan by which, at the latest in 1943, Germany and Italy were to be attacked in Europe by military means. In this way the sincere efforts of Germany and Italy to prevent an extension of the war and to maintain relations with the U.S.A. in spite of the unbearable provocations which have been carried on for years by President Roosevelt, have been frustrated. Germany and Italy have been finally compelled, in view of this, and in loyalty to the Tri-Partite act, to carry on the struggle against the U.S.A. and England jointly and side by side with Japan for the defense and thus for the maintenance of the liberty and independence of their nations and empires. "

Hitler Declares War on the United States

☭proletarian☭;1908192 said:
I vaguely recall reading of Hitler promising Mexico it could have the US if it attacked us and helped him take us out.

That was the Kaiser.

No. It was Arthur Zimmerman the acting foreign minister of Germany. He was the author of the Zimmerman telegram to Mexico proposing a war alliance. Initially the telegram was thought to be a forgery by the English to get the United States into the war. Strangely after the Mexican government called the telegram a forgery, Arthur Zimmerman confirmed the authentic nature of the telegram. Shortly afterward the United States declared war on Germany.

One can wonder, why Zimmerman did not lie and so confirm Mexico's version of a forgery by the English.
Please spare us your attempts to try and appear smarter.

The message was passed and approved by THE KAISER, Zimmerman had no authority to offer such a deal.

its amazing how people try to 'correct' things that are not wrong.

The USA had been in an undeclared war vs Germany since 1940, hitler was sure that once Japan was in the war the USA would find a way to make it a declared war vs Germany.

He also hoped the Japanese would open a second front vs the Soviets in asia, something the japanese absolutely refused to do as they had lost two battles to Russia in the 1930s.

Hitler was also a gambler, he believed that if the war with the USA went from cold to hot there was a chance to interdict allied shipping to Russia and Britain (he was right, in the first 6 months German U boats ran wild off teh US coast) which was hurting Germany badly.

Hitler was not stupid, he knew it was coming so he decided to try the war on his terms instead of waiting for a US declaration which might catch teh germans in no postion to oppose it.

Close, but not quite accurate :D

You are right about Hitler hoping that the Japanese would open a second front. He signed a mutual defense treaty with Japan so he could force the Japanese to use their fleet against the Russian ports at Vladivostok. He saw the Japanese as a tool to reach his ends.

However, it is not correct to say that Hitler knew about the attacks. Hitler knew about the production potential of the United States and did not want them involved in the war directly until he was ready to pursue it on his own terms. According to Albert Speer Hitler was livid about the attacks. Not because the mutual defense treaty would force him into declaring war on the US, he could have ignored that like he did other treaties. No, he was angry because he knew that the only way he could count on the Japanese help against Russia would be to declare war on the US. Part of his reasoning for daring a two front war included the Japanese fleets.

He was wrong about counting on Japanese help.

That was the Kaiser.

No. It was Arthur Zimmerman the acting foreign minister of Germany. He was the author of the Zimmerman telegram to Mexico proposing a war alliance. Initially the telegram was thought to be a forgery by the English to get the United States into the war. Strangely after the Mexican government called the telegram a forgery, Arthur Zimmerman confirmed the authentic nature of the telegram. Shortly afterward the United States declared war on Germany.

One can wonder, why Zimmerman did not lie and so confirm Mexico's version of a forgery by the English.

The message was passed and approved by THE KAISER, Zimmerman had no authority to offer such a deal.

Xeno, if the shoe fits wear it! I recall reading an article in the Chicago Tribune archives that Zimmerman was brought before a board in Germany and he there confirmed that he sent the telegram. Check out the history before sticking foot in mouth.:eusa_shhh:

Once again! One can wonder, why Zimmerman did not lie and so confirm Mexico's version of a forgery by the English.:eusa_whistle:

You are right about Hitler hoping that the Japanese would open a second front. He signed a mutual defense treaty with Japan so he could force the Japanese to use their fleet against the Russian ports at Vladivostok. He saw the Japanese as a tool to reach his ends.

However, it is not correct to say that Hitler knew about the attacks. Hitler knew about the production potential of the United States and did not want them involved in the war directly until he was ready to pursue it on his own terms. According to Albert Speer Hitler was livid about the attacks. Not because the mutual defense treaty would force him into declaring war on the US, he could have ignored that like he did other treaties. No, he was angry because he knew that the only way he could count on the Japanese help against Russia would be to declare war on the US. Part of his reasoning for daring a two front war included the Japanese fleets.

Actually it is 100% correct.

Read it again, i didn't say hitler knew about any 'attacks.'

Xeno, if the shoe fits wear it! I recall reading an article in the Chicago Tribune archives that Zimmerman was brought before a board in Germany and he there confirmed that he sent the telegram. Check out the history before sticking foot in mouth.:eusa_shhh:

Once again! One can wonder, why Zimmerman did not lie and so confirm Mexico's version of a forgery by the English.:eusa_whistle:

Pay attention.

Nobody said Zimmerman didn't send the note.

What was said was he didn't ORIGINATE the note.

The only one with a foot in his mouth is you.

If you want to compare who knows WWI better, you or I, bring it on.

I will bury you.

Because FDR thought the Leiderhosen the Germans wore would cure his polio and Hitler refused to sell it to him.

Why did Hitler declare war on the United States?

Japan and Germany were allies, Japan attacks us, we declare war on Japan and Germany declares war on us. That's the way it is with allies. Israel is our Ally, by law if they go to war then so do we with them.

Actually it is 100% correct.

Read it again, i didn't say hitler knew about any 'attacks.'

Not trying to start an argument dude...I am a massive history buff and WWII is one of my addictions. Its actually nice to find someone here that I can debate the little things with. Its been a while since I was around someone who gets the importance.

I just keyed on the "Hitler was not stupid, he knew it was coming" line I guess.

No offense intended. I don't play that way...lol..when I intend offense its pretty obvious. Until then, respect in all things is my rule.

Because they shut down a good associate of his and a large source of funds.
Prescott Bush.

No. Nobody could make this shit up.

IBM got his counting computer thingy finished just in time though !
Gawd Blass Kaptlizm !

Prescott Bush.

Gawd Blass Kaptlizm !

Revisionism R Fun!

Maybe you should actually do some research?

Just a though.

what did he say that was wrong? american companies heavily funded the nazis and you should research where there planes were created

Prescott Bush.

Gawd Blass Kaptlizm !

Revisionism R Fun!

Maybe you should actually do some research?

Just a though.

what did he say that was wrong? american companies heavily funded the nazis and you should research where there planes were created

I am not arguing that.

What he said wrong, and what most people get wrong when discussing this stuff..intentionally in most cases..is that these business were not directly funding "Nazi Germany" with malice aforethought. They were doing business, with legitimate German businessmen prior to any hostilities or the knowledge that we have now. There was little political about it. It was all greed.

Two questions. What do you mean "where the planes were created" and, second do you know what happened to the man Prescott Bush primarily did business with in Germany? Do you even know his name?

I am not arguing that.

What he said wrong, and what most people get wrong when discussing this stuff..intentionally in most cases..is that these business were not directly funding "Nazi Germany" with malice aforethought. They were doing business, with legitimate German businessmen prior to any hostilities or the knowledge that we have now. There was little political about it. It was all greed.

Two questions. What do you mean "where the planes were created" and, second do you know what happened to the man Prescott Bush primarily did business with in Germany? Do you even know his name?

they knew what was going on in germany for years just as we did before entering the war, but they continued to fund it.

and yes I know prescott bush's history including his intricate working directly with nazis

I am not arguing that.

they knew what was going on in germany for years just as we did before entering the war, but they continued to fund it.

and yes I know prescott bush's history including his intricate working directly with nazis

I'm glad I found this place, I love these debates :D

First, understand I am not here to offend. I am open to being proven wrong, but I also am not a tyro.

Each of the business's that worked with Germany did so legally until the US prohibited the practice. Some continued to do so, including Prescott Bush. But it is my contention that none did so as a means to an end for the Nazi state.

So, lets start with Prescott. What intricate works, directly with the Nazis, are speaking to? And what is your source?

"Hitler was not Stupid?"

Well, then let's euphemistically call him uninformed, grossly underestimating his enemies, and overestimating his allies. Perhaps we can all agree he was a megalomaniac?

First and formost, Hitler was Xenophobic, and if the Japanese, a race he considered subhuman, could sneak up on the US fleet in Pearl Harbor, then it only confirmed his suspicion that the faily large White Supremecy movement after WW I might be resurrected:

According to the 1920 census, the population of white males 18 years and older was about 31 million, but many of these men would have been ineligible for membership because they were immigrants, Jews, or Roman Catholics. Klan membership peaked at about 4-5 million in the mid-1920s. "The Ku Klux Klan, a brief biography". The African American Registry. African American Registry -- Your Source for African American History.

He didn't expect the US to become allied with Germany because of this. Instead, he expected the USA to be internally torn apart, and unable to mount an effective threat against Germany. He also had great distain for any democracy, and considered it so disordered that it could not sustain the organized effort necessary for intercontinental wars.

His expectation materialized only in the determent camps for Japanese Americans, and WW II only served to illustrate the value of the USA's Italian, German, Native American, Jewish, and African American minorities as they all contributed to the defeat of Axis Nations.

Forum List

Back