Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

my father-in-law (the dad of my current, albeit estranged, wife) was a grocer in bf Mamou... he had a li'l cinderblock smokehouse where he made the best andouille and tasso I ever tasted...

eta: yeah... it's been my experience that if you cook anything long enough, with the proper seasonings, your patience will be rewarded...

First home smoked andouille I ever tasted was at this big bay up we used to go to. Uncle Earl's in Winnfield.

And this old timey was serving it up on buns. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Couldn't believe the flavor.

The bay ups were awesome but the food in the camps ran a close second.

what are "bay ups"...?

Hog dog trials. wiki has a good explanation. My foundation stud was out of Camp a While Catahoulas and my foundation bitch was out of Southern Lights out of Ponchatoula.

We wanted to pick our apples from the tree. :eusa_angel: Winnfield is a great showcase for the breed and we used to attend regularly.

In this particular event, dogs are judged on their containment and control of the boar and their style of baying. The better "hog dogs" bay directly at the boar's face to gain control of the boar.

The sharpest voices are considered best. Two dogs compete and the one with the sharper or more shrill voice will be judged as having the better bay. If a boar runs from the dogs, they may nip the boar to make him stop.

The dog has 10 seconds to stop and contain the boar and begin baying again. A significant number of points can be lost by the dog if the boar is not contained within 10 seconds.

Louisiana bans hog-catching but permits this event after the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals worked on the law that exempted Uncle Earl's

Uncle Earl's Hog Dog Trials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's all in the voice of the dog. Hence it's a "bay up".

0.jpg

First home smoked andouille I ever tasted was at this big bay up we used to go to. Uncle Earl's in Winnfield.

And this old timey was serving it up on buns. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Couldn't believe the flavor.

what are "bay ups"...?

Hog dog trials. wiki has a good explanation. My foundation stud was out of Camp a While Catahoulas and my foundation bitch was out of Southern Lights out of Ponchatoula.

We wanted to pick our apples from the tree. :eusa_angel: Winnfield is a great showcase for the breed and we used to attend regularly.

In this particular event, dogs are judged on their containment and control of the boar and their style of baying. The better "hog dogs" bay directly at the boar's face to gain control of the boar.

The sharpest voices are considered best. Two dogs compete and the one with the sharper or more shrill voice will be judged as having the better bay. If a boar runs from the dogs, they may nip the boar to make him stop.

The dog has 10 seconds to stop and contain the boar and begin baying again. A significant number of points can be lost by the dog if the boar is not contained within 10 seconds.

Louisiana bans hog-catching but permits this event after the Louisiana Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals worked on the law that exempted Uncle Earl's

0.jpg

ahhh... that might go a long way towards explaining the behavior of my dog "Chico"...

a handsome tri-color devil...

lady I got him from said his mom was a Catahoula and his dad was an I-don't-know-what...

love him to death but he's a huge pain in the ass...

what are "bay ups"...?

0.jpg

'cept for the markings, this could be my dopey dog Chico...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pytDK6TQqs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pytDK6TQqs[/ame]

Last edited:
what are "bay ups"...?

0.jpg

ahhh... that might go a long way towards explaining the behavior of my dog "Chico"...

lady I got him from said his mom was a Catahoula and his dad was an I-don't-know-what...

Oh that would be the catahoula part :lol:

I love the breed. Had two beautiful litters. But those days are gone. I'm hunting down a good solid black and tan breeder now.

Here's my baby American Bad Ass. From my first litter. I kept him.

images

And my baby doll Chyna.

Chyna1a.jpg

I really do have to spend some time working on my photobucket account and upload all my pics.

what are "bay ups"...?

0.jpg

I had my dog bay at a boar but, the boar got kind of boared and smacked my dog with a board.

what are "bay ups"...?

0.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pytDK6TQqs]Blue Bizarre Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog - YouTube[/ame]

First thing I learned about the world of catahoulas. They're like a box of chocolates. You never know what markings you're going to get.

But it's the mindset of the breed that's always the same. Hard assed and hard working. :D

0.jpg

I love the breed. Had two beautiful litters. But those days are gone. I'm hunting down a good solid black and tan breeder now.

images

And my baby doll Chyna.

Chyna1a.jpg

I really do have to spend some time working on my photobucket account and upload all my pics.

it's a crying shame Chico ain't a purebred what-ever-he-is...

he's near 'bout the most handsome dog I've ever seen...

I'll see 'bout posting some pics to show what I mean...

what are "bay ups"...?

0.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pytDK6TQqs]Blue Bizarre Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog - YouTube[/ame]

LOL! He looks like a big ham. Cool looking eyes though.

The relative cost of junk food to healthy grocery food may vary depending on different countries or different areas of the US. Not all countries or areas have supermarkets, Walmarts or Costco's.

Also, as pointed out, fast food is really high in sodium and fat.

The relative cost of junk food to healthy grocery food may vary depending on different countries or different areas of the US. Not all countries or areas have supermarkets, Walmarts or Costco's.

Also, as pointed out, fast food is really high in sodium and fat.

hello, Captain Obvious... :lol:

images

And my baby doll Chyna.

Chyna1a.jpg

I'd like that. I'll get to photo bucket and work on getting you some pics of Jim Dandy. My main man. Double glass blue were his eyes. And he was as crazy and wild as Mangrum just in canine form. :eusa_angel: I loved him to death.

I'm calling it a night. Take care darlin'.

And apologies to the OP. Didn't mean to get off topic.

Last edited:
Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

it's free to jog down the road

images

And my baby doll Chyna.

Chyna1a.jpg

I'd like that. I'll get to photo bucket and work on getting you some pics of Jim Dandy. My main man. Double glass blue were his eyes. And he was as crazy and wild as Mangrum just in canine form. :eusa_angel: I loved him to death.

I'm calling it a night. Take care darlin'.

And apologies to the OP. Didn't mean to get off topic.

stick a fork in the OP... it's pretty much done... :)

Catas are great dogs. Super in the field and great guard dogs at home.

I've always had GSD's. Done some Shutzhund and loads of obedience with em. I also have had Border collies. Just lost my last guy at 14. Jake was a super dog and I trialed him in two States. Super on sheep and real easy to live with. Great dogs but they are not couch potatoes.

As for the OP I was in 7-11 over the weekend and as I was checking out there was this little EBT user. She had three kids with her and bought chips, doritos and soda using my tax dollars. Highly nutritious food.

EBT should be for meat, veggies and milk not junk food. My tax dollar a work.

our water here in Pa is shit. I wont even let my cats drink it.

Purchase a filter!

One place I lived, I had to boil water then filter it through a coffee filter before it was palatable.

I suppose you're going to call me a liar though...good on you!

Last edited:
Because its too expensive.

Do you know that it is cheaper to buy a jumbo bag of potato chips and a 2 litre bottle of coke than it is to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water?

Ever got those catalogues in the mail with the latest specials from your local supermarket? How many times do you see soft drinks, chocolate, chips and cakes discounted, sometimes by up to 50%? Compare that to how many times you see a price reduction on healthy foods, like apples, oranges, bananas, and bottled water.

In KFC the other day, it was cheaper for me to buy a burger, a piece of chicken, three wings, a small popcorn chicken, a regular chips, a regular gravy and a can of Pepsi than it was to buy a salad and a bottle of water. I wanted a salad and a water, but when I compared the prices, I wondered why I should spend more money on a healthy item when I can get the unhealthy food a lot cheaper?

How many other families see this problem? How about no discounts on junk food, and discounts only on healthy foods?

I never used to understand why people claimed they couldn't afford healthy foods, but I understand now, because its true.

Nonsense, they are just too lazy to put in the effort. A bag of flour and some yeast will bake a number of loaves of bread for about 50cents a loaf. Of course it takes a couple hrs to make some up and that's a lot of missed tv time.

Perhaps it's time for school classes to once again teach people how to shop efficiently and put in a little effort to prepare a meal.

It depends on where you buy your fast food, and which store you buy your groceries from.

I could spend $10 on junk from a fast food joint, and if I went to a supermarket, I could buy a loaf of bread, a carton of milk, and a packet of rice for about the same price.

I agree with people being lazy and not wanting to cook - although I can understand that after working a long day, the last thing you want to do is come home and prepare a meal.

Qwik marts are not a 'supermarket'.

I would suggest researching or taking a class on how to purchase groceries, not at the whim of what you may want to eat for a meal, but learn how to stock your cupboards. The planning ahead of what you want for dinner will keep food costs down.

I think you would be very surprised!!!

Forum List

Back