Why Can't Poor People Afford Healthy Food?

Hard to figure why right wingers hate/resent the poor so intensely.
The first I recall was Reagan's lie about the welfare mom who picked up her welfare check in a Cadillac. More recently, the GOP politician saying, don't feed the poor, they'll breed.

I can believe the welfare mom picking up her welfare check in a Cadillac. I was in a grocery store here some time back and the couple in front of me were a couple of Hispanics using WIC vouchers. They bought diapers, baby formula and all sorts of other children's products. When I was done and walked out to the parking lot to get in my car they were still loading up their truck with the items they had just bought. Their nearly brand new bright red 4X4 Dodge Ram pickup truck, that is.

don't blame the folks... they're just doin' the best they can to take care of themselves with what's available...

it's the fuckin' government system that enables the kinda scenario that invites outrage...

Why don't these people not open up a store?
Why don't these people improve their own damn selves?

Why do you blame the successful for the poors failures.

I guess its hard to start a business when you have no money. Idiot.

it's also hard to start a store-front business when the local-government regulators shove a stick in the spokes of your bicycle...

eta: I saw several folks, who tried to run tiny neighborhood grocery stores out of their living rooms, being shut down due to local government regulations...

and the surrounding folks suffered 'cause they no longer had the nearby grocery...

Now that's a sin, but everything is over regulated. I put up a link about the regulations in California that a decent size grocery store had to have 4 acres of parking space.

Well right from the get go, who the heck can find 4 acres in the inner city for a parking lot?

Bag of flour, packet of yeast, pinch of salt, and some water....dirt cheap bread and a hell of a lot better tasting than store bought.

Brita water filter and tap water.

But you have to buy the bread maker, first - how much does that cost.

Curious. Why would you have to buy a bread maker? Have you ever seen one of these?

0003324620906_500X500.jpg

Ya' stick it in your oven to bake the bread, the way old-fashioned folks used to.

I personally find the art of kneading to be an excellent stress reliever and anger management tool.

Let it rise, punch it down. YAY!

:lol:

People just don't like to cook anymore.

Can't figure out why. Anything that comes out of my kitchen tops junk food. And even if both parents work, there's crock pots where you put together the ingredients in the morning and you come home to a hot, home cooked meal from a slow cooker.

back when I lived "downtown", the envied households were the ones with a granny in residence...

she'd watch over the li'l ones while mom (and pop too, if mom had the good sense to not hook up with a player) were off to work...

this time of year, the grannies would always have a pot of gumbo on the stove...

and the neighborhood was filled with the wonderful smell of all those gumbos cookin'...

Gumbo is a big favorite in this household. Especially with venison. I have a kick ass recipe for deer and andouille gumbo.

The deer are pretty gamey up here compared to down south and the gumbo really takes the gaminess flavor away.

Our grocery store just started stocking President's Choice andouille. I am one happy camper. I no longer have to use a syringe to try to replicate the flavor; though I got pretty good at it. :eusa_angel:

my father-in-law (the dad of my current, albeit estranged, wife) was a grocer in bf Mamou... he had a li'l cinderblock smokehouse where he made the best andouille and tasso I ever tasted...

eta: yeah... it's been my experience that if you cook anything long enough, with the proper seasonings, your patience will be rewarded...

Last edited:
back when I lived "downtown", the envied households were the ones with a granny in residence...

she'd watch over the li'l ones while mom (and pop too, if mom had the good sense to not hook up with a player) were off to work...

this time of year, the grannies would always have a pot of gumbo on the stove...

and the neighborhood was filled with the wonderful smell of all those gumbos cookin'...

Gumbo is a big favorite in this household. Especially with venison. I have a kick ass recipe for deer and andouille gumbo.

The deer are pretty gamey up here compared to down south and the gumbo really takes the gaminess flavor away.

Our grocery store just started stocking President's Choice andouille. I am one happy camper. I no longer have to use a syringe to try to replicate the flavor; though I got pretty good at it. :eusa_angel:

my father-in-law (the dad of my current, albeit estranged, wife) was a grocer in bf Mamou... he had a li'l cinderblock smokehouse where he made the best andouille and tasso I ever tasted...

Somehow your avatar and food just don't seem to go together...

you need to look past my avie... which is intended for the assholes here and elsewhere...

eta: yeah... it's been my experience that if you cook anything long enough, with the proper seasonings, your patience will be rewarded...

First home smoked andouille I ever tasted was at this big bay up we used to go to. Uncle Earl's in Winnfield.

And this old timey was serving it up on buns. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Couldn't believe the flavor.

The bay ups were awesome but the food in the camps ran a close second.

LOL! Now that was funny.

First home smoked andouille I ever tasted was at this big bay up we used to go to. Uncle Earl's in Winnfield.

And this old timey was serving it up on buns. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Couldn't believe the flavor.

btw... been my experience that if you have sumpin' particularly gamey, and you want to reduce it down, you should boil it separately on low simmer before you add it to the gumbo... mebbe a half-hour for duck... mebbe an hour at most for squirrel... mebbe as much as two hours for venison... afterwhich you dump the boil water and add the meat to the gumbo... but of course it's all a matter of personal taste... sometimes I appreciate the full-on headiness of a gumbo made outta a buck with attitude...

Last edited:
I love the gamey venison taste...fried in flour, salt, pepper and garlic...topped with lots of venison gravy and a nice baked potato...or mashed.

I love the gamey venison taste...fried in flour, salt, pepper and garlic...topped with lots of venison gravy and a nice baked potato...or mashed.

the aroma wafting from venison on the stove often reminds me of how much I sometimes like to sniff my armpits...

my apologizes if that's TMI... :)

the aroma wafting from venison on the stove often reminds me of how much I sometimes like to sniff my armpits...

No problem. It just made me glance again at your avatar...

what are "bay ups"...?

No problem. It just made me glance again at your avatar...

lol... sorry 'bout that...

btw... been my experience that if you have sumpin' particularly gamey, and you want to reduce it down, you should boil it separately on low simmer before you add it to the gumbo... mebbe an hour at most for duck or squirrel... mebbe as much as two hours for venison... afterwhich you dump the boil water and add the meat to the gumbo... but of course it's all a matter of personal taste... sometimes I appreciate the full-on headiness of a gumbo made outta a buck with attitude...

The deer in Tennessee we killed were pretty well raised on my neighbors' corn and okra crops. They tasted great. :D

Northern bush deer hang for two months. Milk or buttermilk is a trick too.

btw... been my experience that if you have sumpin' particularly gamey, and you want to reduce it down, you should boil it separately on low simmer before you add it to the gumbo... mebbe an hour at most for duck or squirrel... mebbe as much as two hours for venison... afterwhich you dump the boil water and add the meat to the gumbo... but of course it's all a matter of personal taste... sometimes I appreciate the full-on headiness of a gumbo made outta a buck with attitude...

The deer in Tennessee we killed were pretty well raised on my neighbors' corn and okra crops. They tasted great. :D

Northern bush deer hang for two months. Milk or buttermilk is a trick too.

yeah sure... deer that eat corn and okra's gonna sure be sweeter 'n deer that eat acorns and forest litter...

how 'bout a tune for no particular reason...?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugeaiBgftY]Lee Michaels - Do You Know What I Mean - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back