Why Bush won

Flying Duck

Aug 8, 2004
Here it is, from the braintrust known as DU:

1) Karl Rove cheating (to them this is synonymous with strategy)
2) Jeb of course
3) Diebold vote rigging
4) Lies told by "President Stupid"
4.5) Fearmongering by "President Stupid"
5) Ignorant Americans
6) Kerry conceding before "couting EVERY vote" - this includes invalid provisionals I assume, not military though
7) Evangelicals
8( Greedy ignorant Americans
9) Kerry pandering/waffling (yes - some recognized it)
10) Platform not liberal enough (related to pandering)
11) Even more stupid Americans
12) Racists, homophobes and bigots (should probably be higher in my list but too hard to renumber)

I never foiund one blaming space aliens but I'm sure there must be one in there somewhere.

Please add to this list if you find any other good ones

Flying Duck said:

2) Jeb of course
3) Diebold vote rigging
5) Ignorant Americans
6) Kerry conceding before "couting EVERY vote" - this includes invalid provisionals I assume, not military though
7) Evangelicals
12) Racists, homophobes and bigots (should probably be higher in my list but too hard to renumber)

I never foiund one blaming space aliens but I'm sure there must be one in there somewhere.

Corporate manipulation

Skull and Bones (not sure how they blame the mysterious Yale fraternity, but it is there....may as well be aliens!)

Why Bush won:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/03/opinion/03kris.html?incamp=article_popular_1

One of the Republican Party's major successes over the last few decades has been to persuade many of the working poor to vote for tax breaks for billionaires. Democrats are still effective on bread-and-butter issues like health care, but they come across in much of America as arrogant and out of touch the moment the discussion shifts to values.

"On values, they are really noncompetitive in the heartland," noted Mike Johanns, a Republican who is governor of Nebraska. "This kind of elitist, Eastern approach to the party is just devastating in the Midwest and Western states. It's very difficult for senatorial, Congressional and even local candidates to survive."

n the summer, I was home - too briefly - in Yamhill, Ore., a rural, working-class area where most people would benefit from Democratic policies on taxes and health care. But many of those people disdain Democrats as elitists who empathize with spotted owls rather than loggers.

One problem is the yuppification of the Democratic Party. Thomas Frank, author of the best political book of the year, "What's the Matter With Kansas: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America," says that Democratic leaders have been so eager to win over suburban professionals that they have lost touch with blue-collar America.

"There is a very upper-middle-class flavor to liberalism, and that's just bound to rub average people the wrong way," Mr. Frank said. He notes that Republicans have used "culturally powerful but content-free issues" to connect to ordinary voters.

To put it another way, Democrats peddle issues, and Republicans sell values. Consider the four G's: God, guns, gays and grizzlies.

"The Republicans are smarter," mused Oregon's governor, Ted Kulongoski, a Democrat. "They've created ... these social issues to get the public to stop looking at what's happening to them economically."

"What we once thought - that people would vote in their economic self-interest - is not true, and we Democrats haven't figured out how to deal with that."

Otherwise, the Democratic Party's efforts to improve the lives of working-class Americans in the long run will be blocked by the very people the Democrats aim to help.

nakedemperor said:
Why Bush won:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/03/opinion/03kris.html?incamp=article_popular_1

One of the Republican Party's major successes over the last few decades has been to persuade many of the working poor to vote for tax breaks for billionaires. Democrats are still effective on bread-and-butter issues like health care, but they come across in much of America as arrogant and out of touch the moment the discussion shifts to values.

"On values, they are really noncompetitive in the heartland," noted Mike Johanns, a Republican who is governor of Nebraska. "This kind of elitist, Eastern approach to the party is just devastating in the Midwest and Western states. It's very difficult for senatorial, Congressional and even local candidates to survive."

n the summer, I was home - too briefly - in Yamhill, Ore., a rural, working-class area where most people would benefit from Democratic policies on taxes and health care. But many of those people disdain Democrats as elitists who empathize with spotted owls rather than loggers.

One problem is the yuppification of the Democratic Party. Thomas Frank, author of the best political book of the year, "What's the Matter With Kansas: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America," says that Democratic leaders have been so eager to win over suburban professionals that they have lost touch with blue-collar America.

"There is a very upper-middle-class flavor to liberalism, and that's just bound to rub average people the wrong way," Mr. Frank said. He notes that Republicans have used "culturally powerful but content-free issues" to connect to ordinary voters.

To put it another way, Democrats peddle issues, and Republicans sell values. Consider the four G's: God, guns, gays and grizzlies.

"The Republicans are smarter," mused Oregon's governor, Ted Kulongoski, a Democrat. "They've created ... these social issues to get the public to stop looking at what's happening to them economically."

"What we once thought - that people would vote in their economic self-interest - is not true, and we Democrats haven't figured out how to deal with that."

Otherwise, the Democratic Party's efforts to improve the lives of working-class Americans in the long run will be blocked by the very people the Democrats aim to help.

If the middle class weren't so stupid they would vote democratic ????? That's why the dems lose---they know thay the dems "aim" sucks !

You don't get it. You have lived a sheltered life and you do not have a clue what it is like to start or run a small business.

I am FAR from being a billionaire and the tax cuts helped me and my business. So get a clue would ya?

Marx.. The Times is the most left wing, elitist, marginally American, paper in the country.. I read it online most everyday...Especially the op-eds.. to see what the wack job left is thinking.. Just love Maggie Dowd, Kristof, Friedman, Krugman the lunatic, Bob Herbert, etal...Good to read what the enemy thinks.. I just refer to the Times as The American Pravda... You remember Pravda right? The party paper of the Soviet Union....

freeandfun1 said:
You don't get it. You have lived a sheltered life and you do not have a clue what it is like to start or run a small business.

I am FAR from being a billionaire and the tax cuts helped me and my business. So get a clue would ya?

I helped start a house painting job-quote refferal service with 3 recent graduates in East Providence.

I am FAR from being a billionaire and an economy that is sputtering to come out of a recession (and coming out of it at a pace 1/10 of how this country rebounds historically) isn't conducive to people putting a new coat of paint on their house at the top of their priorities right now. Bush stuffed $1,600 in people's pockets which they're spending on their skyrocketing insurance premiums or to put their children in private schools. Every single public school (ALL OF THEM) in Providence are considered "failing schools". You cannot put your child in a school that isn't failing if you live in Providence. That means something to a lot of people. Not the president. He'd rather give you tax cuts DURING A WAR.

nakedemperor said:
I helped start a house painting job-quote refferal service with 3 recent graduates in East Providence.

I am FAR from being a billionaire and an economy that is sputtering to come out of a recession (and coming out of it at a pace 1/10 of how this country rebounds historically) isn't conducive to people putting a new coat of paint on their house at the top of their priorities right now. Bush stuffed $1,600 in people's pockets which they're spending on their skyrocketing insurance premiums or to put their children in private schools. Every single public school (ALL OF THEM) in Providence are considered "failing schools". You cannot put your child in a school that isn't failing if you live in Providence. That means something to a lot of people. Not the president. He'd rather give you tax cuts DURING A WAR.

As I pointed out to you before, and you ignored, EVERY TIME IN HISTORY that taxes have been cut, the GOVUMENT has INCREASED revenues. Therefore, based on that history, it was WISE to cut taxes during war. It helped INCREASE revenues and therefore, helped offset the cost of the war.

phadras said:
Marx.. The Times is the most left wing, elitist, marginally American, paper in the country.. I read it online most everyday...Especially the op-eds.. to see what the wack job left is thinking.. Just love Maggie Dowd, Kristof, Friedman, Krugman the lunatic, Bob Herbert, etal...Good to read what the enemy thinks.. I just refer to the Times as The American Pravda... You remember Pravda right? The party paper of the Soviet Union....

The Times slants left, but its sad to read every single article assuming it was written that way. I bet you love Safire. Why? Because he agrees with you. Liberals have intelligent things to say too, pal.

And please..please..PLEASE for the love of God stop starting a sentence in the title and finishing it in the message body. Its reaaaallly agravating and makes it exceeeedingly annoying to quote you correctly.

nakedemperor said:
The Times slants left, but its sad to read every single article assuming it was written that way. I bet you love Safire. Why? Because he agrees with you. Liberals have intelligent things to say too, pal.

And please..please..PLEASE for the love of God stop starting a sentence in the title and finishing it in the message body. Its reaaaallly agravating and makes it exceeeedingly annoying to quote you correctly.

So sorry about my writing technique... hehehe.... Buddy when I was straight outta college I once was a liberal myself...(BA/MA Political Science) So I read all the political theories... From Plato to Marx.. But experience in real life and maturity taught me different.. Perhaps a little age will enlighten you as well....
There's always hope.. And not "a place called Hope" real hope... When your eyes open to the real life consequences of what liberalism is and does I'll bet your attitude will change..Perhaps, perhaps not... Oh, and by the way, Safire is moderate and I disagree with him a great deal...

dilloduck said:
If the middle class weren't so stupid they would vote democratic ????? That's why the dems lose---they know thay the dems "aim" sucks !

the middle class knows that if: "the Republican Party's major successes over the last few decades has been to persuade many of the working poor to vote for tax breaks for billionaires." this will give the middle class someone to sign the front of their check and give them health care.

the middle class is not as stupid as the dem leadership

Flying Duck said:

2) Jeb of course
3) Diebold vote rigging
5) Ignorant Americans
7) Evangelicals

Water was drugged, and global warming is frying voters brains :duh3:

Bonnie said:
Water was drugged, and global warming is frying voters brains :duh3:

We gotta protect ourselves. Don't ya know?! :tinfoil:

It was all in the Kool Aid. It was the everclear! You can tell by the whole "Who would you rather have a beer with?" question, the Conservatives are all alcoholics! :cheers2:

It couldn't be that we just had a different opinion could it? :rolleyes:

no1tovote4 said:

It was all in the Kool Aid. It was the everclear! You can tell by the whole "Who would you rather have a beer with?" question, the Conservatives are all alcoholics! :cheers2:

Ya know I did forget to wear my tinfoil hat before I voted, damn I always forget to wear that thing :eek:

no1tovote4 said:

i would love to have a beer with kerry at a boston pub...one thing worries me though...he would have to make a decission to order a beer and have to stick with it.

manu1959 said:
i would love to have a beer with kerry at a boston pub...one thing worries me though...he would have to make a decission to order a beer and have to stick with it.

And you'd get stuck with the tab.

Flying Duck said:

2) Jeb of course
3) Diebold vote rigging
5) Ignorant Americans
7) Evangelicals

A link please??

Forum List

Back