Why are we being punished for Adam's sin? is it true story?

rtwngAvngr said:
Think of it this way: There's a football game, we know someone will win, we may even know which team it is. What YOU decide is WHICH TEAM YOU'RE ON.

This is a terrible analogy. You can't break things of cosmic proportion down to football analogies. I think football is great but this doesn't make any sense to me. The choices we make are obviously causal. It has nothing to do with some preordained supernatural hex.

Powerman said:
This is a terrible analogy. You can't break things of cosmic proportion down to football analogies. I think football is great but this doesn't make any sense to me. The choices we make are obviously causal. It has nothing to do with some preordained supernatural hex.

My point is some things may be preordained, some may not be. Act as if you have control over your decisions and you will make the right decision when the freedomspace opens up. Or you can release people from the burden of feeling they have freewill, so they're malleable chimps like ya like.

Powerman said:
No. You can't have free will if things are predestined. That's very simple. Maybe you can explain to me how you can have both. I believe in the freedom of choice. However I do not believe in predestination. Some things may be inevitable but things are not predestined.

Predestination is mentioned in the Bible along with God's foreknowledge. See Romans 8:29: "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." In other words, God knew ahead of time that X number of people would choose to believe in Christ; those people He predestined to be conformed to the likeness of Christ. In other words, God does not predetermine the status of our salvation; he predetermines that those who believe "shall be like Him." (1 John 3:2) The individual makes the choice whether to believe or not.

gop_jeff said:
Predestination is mentioned in the Bible along with God's foreknowledge. See Romans 8:29: "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers." In other words, God knew ahead of time that X number of people would choose to believe in Christ; those people He predestined to be conformed to the likeness of Christ. In other words, God does not predetermine the status of our salvation; he predetermines that those who believe "shall be like Him." (1 John 3:2) The individual makes the choice whether to believe or not.

Yeah I'm not talking about whether or not you believe or not. I'm talking about a particular situation. Jesus had to be crucified to fulfill the scriptures. Therefor people were not making choices of their own volition. Those choices weren't really choices if you believe that the scripture had to be fullfilled. Seems pretty simple to me.

Powerman said:
Yeah I'm not talking about whether or not you believe or not. I'm talking about a particular situation. Jesus had to be crucified to fulfill the scriptures. Therefor people were not making choices of their own volition. Those choices weren't really choices if you believe that the scripture had to be fullfilled. Seems pretty simple to me.

The scriptures you refer to are different prophecies. In such cases, the prophet spoke after receiving a revelation from God. Now God Himself is not bound by time, and is outside of time; the events of A.D. 2005, 700 B.C., or A.D. 30 are all occurring simultaneously, in a matter of speaking, from God's perspective. So when God gives a prophet the revelation that the Messiah will be cut off from his people, He already knows that it will happen. So these prophecies are God's foreknowledge of events that will happen, not His will forcing them to happen.

gop_jeff said:
The scriptures you refer to are different prophecies. In such cases, the prophet spoke after receiving a revelation from God. Now God Himself is not bound by time, and is outside of time; the events of A.D. 2005, 700 B.C., or A.D. 30 are all occurring simultaneously, in a matter of speaking, from God's perspective. So when God gives a prophet the revelation that the Messiah will be cut off from his people, He already knows that it will happen. So these prophecies are God's foreknowledge of events that will happen, not His will forcing them to happen.

Dude I'm not talking about any scriptures. Was the death of Christ something that was inevitable and the only way for salvation according to the bible? Yes of course it was. So that removes the idea that anyone had any free will. They would have only thought they were making choices in that situation.

You can not have free choice and predestination. You can only have one or the other. I don't know how I'm going to beat this into you but it's simple logic.

gop_jeff said:
First, Barabbas was a murder and an insurrectionist, not a rapist.

Second, the Jews (more specifically, the Jewish leaders of the Sanhedrin) were the ones who handed him over to Pilate. Pilate still had to make the ultimate decision. The hand-washing thing did not absolve him of responsibility. That's why Jesus said "He who handed me over to you is guilty of the greater sin." (as opposed to Pilate's lesser sin of cooperation.)

According to John Barabbas was a "robber."

gop_jeff said:

Excellent explanation.

Powerman said:
More like a bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

Well, that might be impressive if anyone gave a rat's ass what YOU think about it. You've made your anti-Christian zealotry quite obvious, thread upon thread of ahteistic rhetoric.

Don't want to be a Christian? Don't. Your choice.

I do however find it humorous that you go to such inordinate lengths in lame attempts to refute Christianity.

Who are you trying to convince? Us or yourself?

Powerman said:
Dude I'm not talking about any scriptures. Was the death of Christ something that was inevitable and the only way for salvation according to the bible? Yes of course it was. So that removes the idea that anyone had any free will. They would have only thought they were making choices in that situation.

You can not have free choice and predestination. You can only have one or the other. I don't know how I'm going to beat this into you but it's simple logic.

how about this .... your life and actions are all free will as they have no effect on the predestined actions of those that will affect the world ...... so you can have both....

manu1959 said:
how about this .... your life and actions are all free will as they have no effect on the predestined actions of those that will affect the world ...... so you can have both....

You can't reason with this dude on this topic. Hopeless cause.

manu1959 said:

But that is clearly stating that some people had/have free will and that others don't.

Of course it wouldn't be the first time God didn't give people free will. If you review the book of Exodus God himself hardened Pharoah's heart so he wouldn't let the Jewish people go. So maybe God isn't such a proponent of free will afterall. I'm glad I have it.

manu1959 said:
ask him this question...."what would it take for you to change your mind?"

Ah .... but I don't want to change his mind. The choice is his.

My point is that if he so secure in his disbelief in God, then why the continual rants about it? I'm not twisting his arm, but he surely spends mucho time trying to force his opinion on others.

GunnyL said:
Ah .... but I don't want to change his mind. The choice is his.

My point is that if he so secure in his disbelief in God, then why the continual rants about it? I'm not twisting his arm, but he surely spends mucho time trying to force his opinion on others.

me doust think he protest too much......let me ask you...what would it take to convince you god does not exist?

gop_jeff said:
First, Barabbas was a murder and an insurrectionist, not a rapist.

Second, the Jews (more specifically, the Jewish leaders of the Sanhedrin) were the ones who handed him over to Pilate. Pilate still had to make the ultimate decision. The hand-washing thing did not absolve him of responsibility. That's why Jesus said "He who handed me over to you is guilty of the greater sin." (as opposed to Pilate's lesser sin of cooperation.)

This may or may not be relevant and I certainly don't pretend to be an expert on the subject but it sounds to me like Pilate said "one of these 2 will die, you choose". If someone has a family hostage and tells the parent "I will kill your son or your daughter, you choose", is the parent responsible for the death or the kidnapper? Obviously, I would suggest that the kidnapper was 100% responsible, not the parent. I know the analogy isn't perfect but I think the point remains: if it wasn't for the Romans, no one would have died at all so ultimately, they are 100% responsible.

On a slightly lighter note (as in less serious), it sounds like if the Jews were forced to pick one person to die, at least they chose the one who was going to be resurrected. Sounds like the Jews knew what they were doing. ;)

Powerman said:
More like a bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

Listen here, stubby, we will not allow you to shame america out of the moral codes which have made it strong.

Powerman said:

You said: "Jesus had to be crucified to fulfill the scriptures." So obviously you were talking about some scripture.
So let me explain this again. God foreknew the choices that the Jewish leaders, Pilate, etc. etc., as free moral agents, were going to make. Yes, Christ's death and resurrection were God's chosen method of salvation, but nowhere did He force any of those people to make the choices they made; all of them acted out of their own free will to make the choices they made.

And I'm saying, as the Bible says, that people have free will, as free moral agents. I don't know how I'm going to beat that into you.

rtwngAvngr said:
Listen here, stubby, we will not allow you to shame america out of the moral codes which have made it strong.

Haha. I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Something tells me you are being silly again. Never know around here though.

Forum List

Back