Exploring a Parallel Universe

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by The ClayTaurus, Nov 4, 2005.

1. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/011/19.128.html

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
  3. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    That's a good, reasoned article. I like it when people explore the differences in the ways other types of people interpret things. But there is still an underlying message that conversion to the Christian faith is the ultimate goal. "You must court a virgin differently than you would a divorcee." He's speaking in terms of converting others to Christianity. That's not tolerance, that's trying to change people to suit your own interests.

4. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    But to him, it's being a good neighbor. It's inherent of his religion.

5. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

Tolerance isn't part of Christianity so it makes sense, eh? Having people accept Christianity is a GOOD thing, because christianity is GOOD for people, mostly because it's Absolutely True. Religion is 'not' true. Christianity is the answer to the question "Who is God, and why am I here?"

:)

Nope - You're reading that correctly. A true Christian makes NO allowances that any OTHER belief could be 'the path to heaven/God, etc.'. Christ said "I am the way. No man comes to the father but through me." or something.

:)

6. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    So you would agree that allowing a non-believer to continue on his way would go against Christian teachings, no? It's your obligation to interfere in his spiritual life, as a service to him. I always thought that's where Christians were coming from. It's just that most people who aren't Christians don't understand that. Or am I off base?

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    You make it sound like we convert people at gunpoint. It's pointless to "convert" someone if they don't do so willingly with full acceptance. If someone converts, they'll thank us for the favor.

8. LuvRPgrl

LuvRPgrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Actually, thats not even possible. ITS IMPOSSIBLE to convert someone at gunpoint. You can only convert their heart, and it is done only by true, effective persuasion. NOTHING FORCED, nothing phoney. Presenting them with truth and allowing them to decide for themselves, thats the Christian way, Gods way.

Now, if you wish to talk about forcing converts at gunpoint, lets talk about that religion you and some others seem to think we should be more tolerant of, ISLAM. :chains:

9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    No. Christ teaches to not waste one's time on those who are unwilling to listen. Spreading His word IS part of Christianity; however, attempting to forcefeed it to people is NOT a Christian principle, and those who do so are misinterpreting His word to suit their own agendas.

10. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    The point I was making wasn't that I think Christians convert people at gunpoint, but rather many non-Christians don't understand the evangelization idea. They see a Christian talking to them about their faith as threatening, when it shouldn't be. While you may or may not want to be a Christian, you should at least be able to appreciate the fact that someone thinks enough of you to try and "save" you.

I know Christians of many kinds - those who will tell you all about their religion if you ask them, and those that will tell you all about it if you don't ask them.

All I was saying is, some people don't understand the second group of people and their motivations, and I think if they did, there would be a lot less tension.