Why are the Republicans stopping START??

Why are the republicans against START? It sounds too progressive to suit them. As evidenced in this thread many of them do not even know what it is but oppose it.
They know all they need to know about. The administration is behind it so they are against it.

This is the modern republican party.

They dont care about this country's defense they only care about scoring political points.

Why are the Republicans stopping START? - The Week

Republican lawmakers are blocking a push by the Obama administration to get a major nuclear arms treaty ratified this year. The Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) was signed by Obama and Russian President Dmitri Medvedev back in April. The deal, which needs to be aproved by the Senate, would cut both countries' nuclear stockpile by about 30 percent. But Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ), the GOP point man on the issue, said he does not want to schedule a vote during the lame-duck session of Congress because there's not enough time to overcome complex and unresolved issues. What's behind the delay?

because they have questions , like oh, why are we forgoing here to fore active surveillance and verification of operations at Russia's strategic missile factory in Votkinsk.

we on the other hand allow access and monitoring of our Thiokol Strategic Operations factory in Utah.

In addition, Kyl wants to make sure we get the funding to revamp seriously aging nuclear force(s) we have now.

among other things...

Last edited:
This Lameduck crew has to go. When they're gone,something as important as this can be properly debated. As usual the Democrats are trying to jam something very flawed down the American Peoples' throats. This is something the new Congress should tackle. No one has any faith in this Dem-Led Worst Congress in History. Let the real Congress take this on. See ya next year.

Last edited:
Seriously,why should anyone trust this Congress? They are officially the worst U.S. Congress in History. I just want them to go away. They've done enough damage. I think most of America agrees with me on that. Their time is up. START will be discussed in the coming real Congress. We'll see how it goes in January.

Republicans once again show they are only giving lip service to deficit reduction. A chance to reduce the required number of nukes with an equal reduction from the Russians is passed up for political animosity.

The cost of sustaining those weapons and their platforms is huge.... the Republicans would rather chase pennies

because what you call equal really isn't, its a matter of negotiation, we already gave up the land base missile shield....for what? exactly? Please show me the quid pro quo.

Take your time....

IF you had ANY idea of how the counts and classifications are made, what is deemed strategic or is a launch vehicle how they calculated bombers, submarine or land based rockets etc. you know, the fine points you would know that what Russian says is equal, in fact isn't and the cost (and this is an old story) and, any kind of 'win' is paramount to/for this admin. not deterrence or negotiating a hard bargain.

This a negotiation, just because obama has a Nobel prize to live up to means squat to me. What is the rush?

Last edited:
Seriously,why should anyone trust this Congress? They are officially the worst U.S. Congress in History. I just want them to go away. They've done enough damage. I think most of America agrees with me on that. Their time is up. START will be discussed in the coming real Congress. We'll see how it goes in January.

How can you say that?
It's 17%, that's big numbers!!!

Republicans once again show they are only giving lip service to deficit reduction. A chance to reduce the required number of nukes with an equal reduction from the Russians is passed up for political animosity.

The cost of sustaining those weapons and their platforms is huge.... the Republicans would rather chase pennies

because what you call equal really isn't, its a matter of negotiation, we already gave up the land base missile shield....for what? exactly? Please show me the quid pro quo.

Take your time....

IF you had ANY idea of how the counts and classifications are made, what is deemed strategic or is a launch vehicle how they calculated bombers, submarine or land based rockets etc. you know, the fine points you would know that what Russian says is equal, in fact isn't and the cost (and this is an old story) any kind of 'win' is paramount to/for this admin. not deterrence or negotiating a hard bargain.

This a negotiation, just because obama has a Nobel prize to live up to means squat to me. What is the rush?

The same reason we rushed Obowmaocare, we can read it after it's passed. Not to worry.

Gee, really.. why spend time and careful consideration on a nuclear disarmament treaty. Shit.. pass it, we'll figure it out later. That always works out well.

Such utter leftist whackaloon douchery.

It's about trust & competence for this Dem-led Lameduck Congress. For the most part the People just don't trust them. They have a long history of jamming very flawed Legislation through without even reading it. START will be better off being delayed and discussed properly in January with the new Congress. I just don't trust any Legislation the Democrats try to jam through.

Are those of you that claim the gop is putting party ahead of people aware that the old treaty expired a year ago?

If this was so damn important, why wasn't this done a year ago?

or were the dims putting party ahead of people then?

Or maybe
Just MAYBE

They knew it was a waste of time and money b/c russia, while not an ally, certainly can not be considered an actual enemy.

It's grandstanding people, and you all fell for it.

Are those of you that claim the gop is putting party ahead of people aware that the old treaty expired a year ago?

If this was so damn important, why wasn't this done a year ago?

or were the dims putting party ahead of people then?

Or maybe
Just MAYBE

They knew it was a waste of time and money b/c russia, while not an ally, certainly can not be considered an actual enemy.

It's grandstanding people, and you all fell for it.

Bush was working behind the scenes to block it.

hey he did great in So. Korea right? ...he HAD a trade pact written and ready to go BUT he had to fiddle with it and counted on his powerful "personally likable personality" to make changes and force the South Koreans to swallow it, frankly we need to vet this treaty to death, god knows whats he promised or given away to Putin and his stooge, if its good fine lets move on. But I have already raised one point in particular which troubles me.....

I would bet anything neither Reid or Pelosi have read the START Treaty front to back. The Democrats have a history of not reading their own Legislation before voting on it. The Republicans should fight this and any other Legislation the Democrats try to jam through in this Lameduck session. The Democrats just can't be trusted. See ya in January.

Why don't you Republicans her just be honest?

You want to delay the ratification of the START treaty so that you can eventually kill it once the new Congress comes aboard. Republicans have no interest in reducing nuclear proliferation if a Republican cannot take credit for it

Why don't you Republicans her just be honest?

You want to delay the ratification of the START treaty so that you can eventually kill it once the new Congress comes aboard. Republicans have no interest in reducing nuclear proliferation if a Republican cannot take credit for it

There ya go. You nailed it!!!

How does one become so prescient?

Forum List

Back