Why are soldiers automatically considered heroes?

They shouldn't be considered heros. Only a small portion of our military is involved in combat, but everyone is needed to maintain our fighting force. So look at them in whatever light you choose.

The truth about this is veteran should act selflessly in this matter. I don't care if you look at me as a hero or shmuck. I know what I've done and who it's protected whether they agree with me or not.

The real question.. Are you jealous? Cause as a veteran I'd prefer to do away with Memorial, Veterans, and many other "national holidays" because it reduces productivity as a country. Also the people it's meant to benefit fail to see those benefits. I worked on 3 out 4 veteran day holidays while I was in the Marines. Civilians are spoiled off our blood and sweat with a lazy day.

They shouldn't be considered heros. Only a small portion of our military is involved in combat, but everyone is needed to maintain our fighting force. So look at them in whatever light you choose.

The truth about this is veteran should act selflessly in this matter. I don't care if you look at me as a hero or shmuck. I know what I've done and who it's protected whether they agree with me or not.

The real question.. Are you jealous? Cause as a veteran I'd prefer to do away with Memorial, Veterans, and many other "national holidays" because it reduces productivity as a country. Also the people it's meant to benefit fail to see those benefits. I worked on 3 out 4 veteran day holidays while I was in the Marines. Civilians are spoiled off our blood and sweat with a lazy day.

There are three days which have to do with our Military which no we should never give them up. There is Armed Forces Day which we should celebrate those who are currently wearing the uniform. It should be a day to thank them for the hard work and sacrifices they are making.

The next is Veterans Day. This is a day to thank all Veterans for their past service to the country.

And then we have Memorial Day. What else is there to be said. Mankind has honored their dead for eons......

[
me thinks some reading of the treatys, agreements and workings of the league of nations etc. between ww1 and 1939 would help you out.

and-

"War Is a Racket"

War Is a Racket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

plenty of people felt that the banana wars, the Philippines etc etc was just more of the same, just becasue Eisenhower named it so, doesn't mean it didn't ostensibly exist before hand. Its just a matter of relative size of the resources committed as to who they were fighting.
Of course it's a matter of relative size. And there is no question that someone profits from every war ever fought. So you might as well go all the way back to the American Revolution to make that point. But are you seriously comparing the present situation to that of the Banana Wars and the Philippines Campaign?

There is no question that there was profiteering back then, and there is no doubt that political science students along with those who read and comprehended a book written by a former Commandant of The Marine Corps understood that somebody was making a buck. But are you comparing the Banana Wars to Vietnam and the Philippines Campaign to Iraq and Afghanistan?

When Butler wrote his book the problem was beginning to manifest. By the time Eisenhower called attention to it the situation was serious. Today, owing to the phenomenal growth of our population and economy and relative dimension of our military engagements, the problem is critical and represents a menace to our national stability.

Q- did you sppt. our actions in Afghanistan when we went in?
A better question would be whether I believed Bush's assertion that the military operation he was mounting would be a brief venture into Afghanistan for the purpose of bringing those responsible for the 9/11 attack to justice. The answer is I wouldn't believe George W. Bush if he said, hello. I saw it as an incipient opportunity to direct billions of dollars to his "base" of corporate opportunists and as of today it is still going on.

A better answer would be I would have supported it if I had cause to believe it but I didn't.

I really, really dislike Memorial Day. Not because I hate the military (not true), nor because I don't think soldiers can't be heroes (also not true), but because I hate the spewing of jingoistic "all soldiers are heroes and they protect our freedom," by all parts of the political spectrum. Now, I want to make it clear that I do not believe soldiers can't be heroes; for example, I consider JFK to be one of the greatest men this country has seen, partly because of his actions in the military. What I am asking, is why all soldiers are automatically heroes? They certainly don't all earn it (US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardiran). And don't say it is because they are protecting our freedom, because frankly, they aren't right now. There were wars where they were, but our current conflicts are not intended to protect us.

Wow, talk about a fucking asshole! If you have to even ask it tells me all I want to know about you. Those who enlist lay their lives on the line for strangers, some who don't deserve it LIKE YOU; to ensure you have the freedom to trash their very service without threat... You can simply thank them. Nothing more heroic than to risk your life for a stranger.

No current member of the military has protected my freedom. I just want to clear that up. That isn't to say the military hasn't protected my freedom in the past, nor does it mean the military won't protect it in the future.
By your logic, a hero is somebody who risks their lives for somebody else. That means that every single president, doctor, sewage worker, scientist, etc. is a hero. I will support memorial when he have days honoring every person who puts his life on the line for someone else.
A hero isn't someone who gets payed to put their life on the line; it's somebody who goes above and beyond their position and station in life to help the lives of others. There are many members of the military who have done this, but they aren't all heros.

daveman said:

1: 9/11 did not hurt America as a whole. Sorry, but that's the truth. 3000 people is not a significant chunk.

2: Iraq and Afghanistan didn't attack us. Al' Qaeda did. Know your facts please.

To start with, you really don't get what Memorial Day is about, at all. It is not about living vets-we have another day for that; it's called Veterans' Day, and it's in November, remember? It's not about those currently serving either, nor is it a celebration of any particular war, whether it's one you or anyone else likes, or not. This is about honoring ALL those service members, from the American Revolution onward, who have given their lives in the service of this nation. That's it. Period. See if you can get that through your thick skull, your self-righteous arrogance, and your preconceived ideas, not to mention the political dogma you regurgitate and swallow again on cue, like a dog returning to its vomit. If you cannot bring yourself to respect the living, for God's sake have the decency to honor the dead; because if it weren't for their sacrifice, neither you nor we would have the freedom to have this discussion. We might not have any rights at all. There are plenty of countries around the world, that will lock you up or worse, for saying what you are allowed to say freely in America (and that last includes the democracies of Europe).

I really, really dislike Memorial Day. Not because I hate the military (not true), nor because I don't think soldiers can't be heroes (also not true), but because I hate the spewing of jingoistic "all soldiers are heroes and they protect our freedom," by all parts of the political spectrum. Now, I want to make it clear that I do not believe soldiers can't be heroes; for example, I consider JFK to be one of the greatest men this country has seen, partly because of his actions in the military. What I am asking, is why all soldiers are automatically heroes? They certainly don't all earn it (US soldiers 'killed Afghan civilians for sport and collected fingers as trophies' | World news | The Guardian). And don't say it is because they are protecting our freedom, because frankly, they aren't right now. There were wars where they were, but our current conflicts are not intended to protect us.

I don't have the time to read through 7 pages of posts to see if anyone has made this point yet, sorry if I am repeating someone.

Memorial Day is to remember those who died in defense of our nation and its policies. Whether you agree with the conflict they died in, or agree that the conflict was to defend our nation is not important. They died serving our nation and carrying out the policies of those we elect to make those decisions. Those in the military do not get to choose the conflict that kills them, they sign up to do whatever is asked of them (legally) during the term of their contract.

Perhaps you don't like Veterans Day, thats the day set aside to honor all veterans. Memorial Day is not the same thing.

There are three days which have to do with our Military which no we should never give them up. There is Armed Forces Day which we should celebrate those who are currently wearing the uniform. It should be a day to thank them for the hard work and sacrifices they are making.

The next is Veterans Day. This is a day to thank all Veterans for their past service to the country.

And then we have Memorial Day. What else is there to be said. Mankind has honored their dead for eons......
Well these days are no longer used to do so. When america feels it wants to honor veterans; provide them proper VA care, job opportunity, and better education benefits.

I don't need a day off.

Wow, talk about a fucking asshole! If you have to even ask it tells me all I want to know about you. Those who enlist lay their lives on the line for strangers, some who don't deserve it LIKE YOU; to ensure you have the freedom to trash their very service without threat... You can simply thank them. Nothing more heroic than to risk your life for a stranger.

No current member of the military has protected my freedom. I just want to clear that up. That isn't to say the military hasn't protected my freedom in the past, nor does it mean the military won't protect it in the future.
By your logic, a hero is somebody who risks their lives for somebody else. That means that every single president, doctor, sewage worker, scientist, etc. is a hero. I will support memorial when he have days honoring every person who puts his life on the line for someone else.
A hero isn't someone who gets payed to put their life on the line; it's somebody who goes above and beyond their position and station in life to help the lives of others. There are many members of the military who have done this, but they aren't all heros.

daveman said:

1: 9/11 did not hurt America as a whole. Sorry, but that's the truth. 3000 people is not a significant chunk.

2: Iraq and Afghanistan didn't attack us. Al' Qaeda did. Know your facts please.

To start with, you really don't get what Memorial Day is about, at all. It is not about living vets-we have another day for that; it's called Veterans' Day, and it's in November, remember? It's not about those currently serving either, nor is it a celebration of any particular war, whether it's one you or anyone else likes, or not. This is about honoring ALL those service members, from the American Revolution onward, who have given their lives in the service of this nation. That's it. Period. See if you can get that through your thick skull, your self-righteous arrogance, and your preconceived ideas, not to mention the political dogma you regurgitate and swallow again on cue, like a dog returning to its vomit. If you cannot bring yourself to respect the living, for God's sake have the decency to honor the dead; because if it weren't for their sacrifice, neither you nor we would have the freedom to have this discussion. We might not have any rights at all. There are plenty of countries around the world, that will lock you up or worse, for saying what you are allowed to say freely in America (and that last includes the democracies of Europe).

You really should have read my other posts before you posted this. I don't hate Memorial Day (and I understand it honors dead soldiers, please don't be so presumptuous) because of its subject, I hate it because there aren't any other days that honor just as worthy people who have died in other professions (not just people like doctors, but the people that do awful, menial work). I understand that we have Labor Day, but nobody really knows or cares about the origins of it.
You really don't have to be so vicious. It just makes you look like an idiot, especially when you don't know what you are talking about.

daveman said:

Damn fine post and well said!

Putting on a uniform doesn't suddenly make a man a devil or a saint. Honour and dishonour come with a man's own actions and character, not from the clothes he wears.

Some bring honour to their uniforms and some brings dishonour and infamy.

But this thread will be deleted just like the last time I pointed this out- god forbid we put away the broad brushes and judge men as individuals...

That argument would have worked when there was a draft, and it was not a volunteer service.

It changed, like a gazillion years ago
1) Oh? So nobody who joined willingly was at Abu Graib or in the kill teams?

2) It was more like 50 years ago, when we last saw the draft

You really should have read my other posts before you posted this. I don't hate Memorial Day (and I understand it honors dead soldiers, please don't be so presumptuous) because of its subject, I hate it because there aren't any other days that honor just as worthy people who have died in other professions (not just people like doctors, but the people that do awful, menial work). I understand that we have Labor Day, but nobody really knows or cares about the origins of it.
You really don't have to be so vicious. It just makes you look like an idiot, especially when you don't know what you are talking about.

You still don't get it, so let me try to spell it out for you. Get off this argument about who is or is not a hero.It's bullshit. I didn't go to Vietnam to be a hero; neither did anyone else I knew. I'm pretty sure, that no one went off to any other war to be a hero either. I've said it elsewhere, and I'll say it again-I have never known a single combat veteran who thought he was a hero, not one (and that includes some with some pretty impressive decorations for valor).

You got one thing right; America is a nation of quiet heroes. Some put their lives on the line for others on a regular basis. Some just give tirelessly of their time and talent to give something back to the country or their community. Some get paid (often less than they could make doing something else); some do it for nothing. Most of them want no recognition in return. They build houses for those in need, the man the soup kitchens and homeless shelters, take meals to the elderly. They coach little league, teach kids to read, work at free clinics. They are first responders- law enforcement, the local rescue squad, the volunteer or professional firefighter; and you might be surprised to know that some of them are vets, too. There's a former infantry officer on this board, who's in medical school; he's going to be a doctor.I've been an EMT/paramedic and volunteer firefighter. There are people right now working in Alabama, from college students to everyday folks, who came from all over to help the people recover from the recent tornadoes. Not one of them thinks they are a hero, either. There are so many, that if we took the time to honor them all, we'd spend the whole year doing nothing else.

You know, in spite of all the greed and meanness that characterizes our current culture, the mere fact that such people exist, in such numbers, gives me hope that the America I fought for is still alive; still the most giving and generous nation there is; and so long as that is so, then the dead we honor today have not fallen in vain.

It has never been about body counts

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEXphFgYryE]YouTube - ‪Rachel Maddow War on terror fought on bin Ladens terms Part1‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1PjtXkSbew]YouTube - ‪Rachel Maddow War on terror fought on bin Ladens terms Part2‬‏[/ame]

daveman said:

Wow. What a retard.
I didn't say they attacked us, you imbecile. You claimed they had no potential to harm us. If 19 fanatics not affiliated with a nation-state can attack us, fanatics associated with fanatical nation-states certainly can.

daveman said:
Hi, you have received -163 reputation points from daveman.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Moron.

Regards,
daveman

Note: This is an automated message.

So... you can't explain building seven, coward?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlM8Sui6-X0]YouTube - ‪Cheney gave STAND DOWN ORDER‬‏[/ame]

Hoooo - Leeeee shit... and people call us that don't believe obama can legally be President crazy... fuck... this shit here makes us all look like like guardians of the truth!

daveman said:
Hi, you have received -163 reputation points from daveman.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Moron.

Regards,
daveman

Note: This is an automated message.

So... you can't explain building seven, coward?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlM8Sui6-X0"]YouTube - ‪Cheney gave STAND DOWN ORDER‬‏[/ame]

Hoooo - Leeeee shit... and people call us that don't believe obama can legally be President crazy... fuck... this shit here makes us all look like like guardians of the truth!

So you admit birtherism is quite the opposite of truthfulness? Interesting...

Forum List

Back