Why are shows full of losers so popular?

Friends, All in the family, Cheers, Seinfield, House.

Think about it.
since we did not have a forum on psychology I figured media would do.

I am pursuing this because these types of shows do not appeal to me and trying to figure out my abnormality.

Any ideas?

These are all comedies - much comedy consists of playing on the foibles and weaknesses of the characters.

Think about it.

I am pursuing this because these types of shows do not appeal to me and trying to figure out my abnormality.

Any ideas?

they might not appeal to you but they sure as hell do to everyone else......i watched Cheers and Seinfeld.....out of those.....

Yes I know, and I am wondering why I am different in what way.

Think about it.

Any ideas?

These are all comedies - much comedy consists of playing on the foibles and weaknesses of the characters.

I know that and I like comedies where there are losers but not ones where everyone is a loser.
In MASH not everyone was a loser. Same for Andy Griffith.

Think about it.

Any ideas?

I find it odd yet predictable that several of the replies to this thread are upset and challenged by the question posed by the OP. I suspect subliminal hanky panky by the networks in some of this misplaced loyalty.

Apparently one does not make fun of the media gods and goddesses?

Think about it.

Any ideas?

Simple ~ It's called Propaganda & the Dumbing Down of America

OK, but why am I immune?

Good points - and those two shows were products of a different generation.

Today's "everybody is a loser" zeitgeist rather suits the times. Hollywood no longer knows how to portray admirable people very well.

There has always been shitty entertainment.

Shitty plays, shitty books, shitty songs and poetry.

TV is just the most current perveyor of shittiness

Today's "everybody is a loser" zeitgeist rather suits the times. Hollywood no longer knows how to portray admirable people very well.

All in the Family was in the same generation as Mash I believe. So it does not appear to be when the shows were created?

there are so many channels now you can make bucks off of a smaller market.

Some shows are targeted to idiots.

Think about it.

Any ideas?
Damn, and here I thought you were talking about reality TV and network news.

That is the absolute truth. Another reason why all of the loser shows are on the telly is they are cheap to produce. Nowadays the studios are terrified of losing money so they spend as little as possible on the production of new shows. that's why when there is a hit they just take the basic idea and spread it around, Law And Order, Law and Order Los Angeles, Law and Order SVU, NCIS, NCIS LA, CSI, CSI New York, CSI Miami, etc. There is very little imagination in Hollywood anymore. You have to go the independants to get creativity.

That is the absolute truth. Another reason why all of the loser shows are on the telly is they are cheap to produce. Nowadays the studios are terrified of losing money so they spend as little as possible on the production of new shows. that's why when there is a hit they just take the basic idea and spread it around, Law And Order, Law and Order Los Angeles, Law and Order SVU, NCIS, NCIS LA, CSI, CSI New York, CSI Miami, etc. There is very little imagination in Hollywood anymore. You have to go the independants to get creativity.

ahh but all the law and cop shows do a valuable service by prepping everyone for a police state.

Shitty shows far outweigh the great ones, but there have been some brilliant shows on TV the past few years. Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Glee, Lost, Rescue Me... These are a few of my favorites of all time. Thank goodness for cable. And flawed characters are always more interesting than superheroes in my opinion. There are no perfect people. And near perfect ones bore the shit out of me. Lol

Forum List

Back