Why are shows full of losers so popular?

Sitty art has ALWAYS outnumbered the great works.

It the human condition repeting

Friends, All in the family, Cheers, Seinfield, House.

Think about it.
since we did not have a forum on psychology I figured media would do.

I am pursuing this because these types of shows do not appeal to me and trying to figure out my abnormality.

Any ideas?

These are all comedies - much comedy consists of playing on the foibles and weaknesses of the characters.

You think House is a comedy?

Think about it.

I am pursuing this because these types of shows do not appeal to me and trying to figure out my abnormality.

Any ideas?

Simple ~ It's called Propaganda & the Dumbing Down of America

OK, but why am I immune?

You're just Special ~
Or maybe you're Not immune but just Think that you are.
Maybe your Abnormality is actually a Sheild protecting you from inane
useless comedy.
:lol::lol: Don't Worry ~ Be Happy!!!!

Gluttony and materialism have enveloped all corners of the United States, from Pacific to Atlantic Oceans, from the border with Canada to the one with Mexico. The principles of consumerism and greed are all-encompassing, years ago having replaced virtues long since gone. The clandestine enslavement hidden in mass production and ever-longer working hours has in the last few decades become the value by which we measure one’s worth to society.
The Dumbing Down of America

a show that ran from 1993-2001 about a bumbling idiot loser that missed chances to capture or kill infamous terrorists 3 TIMES while getting a blow job in his office from a young intern......

Think about it.

Any ideas?

These are all comedies - much comedy consists of playing on the foibles and weaknesses of the characters.

You think House is a comedy?

Drama/comedy :)

I'm still curious about the specific differences between characters in the shows listed that makes some full of losers and others not.

Its just a cheap type of TV , no actors to pay

AND you dont have to think and SO easy to follow....the Dumbing down part....and just may be working....

It is no worse than the idiot soap operas that were shoen for decades on TV and radio.

The markets can target smaller and smaller audiences and still make a buck.

There are stupid shallow people in the world and always have been.

a Soap at least has a story line you have to follow.....the Bachelor....you can miss 5 episodes and you havent missed anything.....you can talk on the phone while its on....and you still havent missed anything......some shows have some depth to them....others....as Shallow as Hal....and the Shallow shows seem to be winning....

Think about it.

Any ideas?

they might not appeal to you but they sure as hell do to everyone else......i watched Cheers and Seinfeld.....out of those.....

Yes I know, and I am wondering why I am different in what way.
well Sittaro i guess, thinks you are a Liberal with no sense of humor....

Because the public is filled with losers just like the losers on television. The public relates to them, thus likes them.

Think about it.

Any ideas?

You didn't like All in the family and Cheers?

What kind of commie are you?]

Why do we all slow down for wrecks that are in the north bound lane of an interstate when we are headed south?

Why do people stop to watch a jumper?

Why does someone that killed dogs get 2 years in jail while someone that sold poison (drugs) to kids get 6 months?

shows of losers are for those who are too big of losers to post unintelligibly here.

Lisa-Edelstein-Cuddy-House.jpeg

She's hawt.
She is.

She was George's GF on Seinfeld for a few episodes.

He ate food while having sex with her once, trying to incorporate the two passions of his life...food and sex.

Speaking of Seinfeld, this show isn't a loser show I'd say. Its about Seinfeld...an up and coming, and eventual successful comedian and his friends. Kramer isn't a loser, he's a Hipster Dufus. Elaine is a jerk. And Jerry holds it together. A stellar show with a stellar cast and cast of characters. FYI: "George" is based on the real life Larry David.

Because this is THE UNITED STATES OF ENTERTAINMENT!! That's why.

Many folks all over this great country are bored with their own lives, so they live vicariously through the life of a character on a television show. Now don't get me wrong, I like a little mindless television. Give me Seinfeld any day of the week! That show kept me laughing, and still does, every time I come across a re-run. I stopped watching sitcoms when Seinfeld went off the air. Sigh ... oh well. Now I stick to mostly educational television. DC, NGEO, History, Food Network .. etc. I did happen to see my first couple of episodes of Selling New York. Interesting show.

Because those losers have big juicy butts and big melons and wear barely any clothes, thats what all these reality shows have in common. Plus they are not even "reality" shows, they set up parts of the show where the person will be naked, like on Kendra when she was conveniently topless when the the guys were cleaning her windows and could see right through, and when she heard a noise buzzing in one her boxes when she moved to LA and it was a vibrator, hmm how convenient, these shows all have a script.

I like to skip the stupid jokes and just listen to laugh tracks all day!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loathe the laugh tracks!!!
Even now when the youngest and I are watching some Nickelodeon, the laugh tracks make me want to run screaming! How is a mom supposed to enjoy a show full of childrens' humor when I'm distracted by fabricated laughter?

Also on that show "Married to Rock" when one of the wives supposedly had a "stalker" and the "stalker" sent her sexy lingerie with a well written note saying I want to see you in this lol what a joke, that was all set up and she never had a stalker, I bet any of the women who had a real stalker can tell you that the reality of what happens is nothing like what they showed on this television show.

Think about it.

Any ideas?

While there are definitely shows about losers, the ones you chose don't fit the category, in my opinion.

In "Friends" they each may have experienced ups and downs, but they all remained "friends" at the end of every episode. I find that to actually be a little UNrealistic.

"All in the Family" wasn't about "losers" but about attitudes. Archie was comfortable with his prejudices, and Meathead was equally as comfortable criticizing those prejudices. I didn't see either of them as "losers." (After all, we see the same sort of bigotry and those who would defend against it even today, and neither thinks they're "losing" the argument.)

"Cheers" and "Seinfeld" were shows about people interacting the same way they do in real life.

And real life is ALL about winning some/losing some and hopefully learning by mistakes made. Nothing wrong with that.

Forum List

Back