Why are shows full of losers so popular?

Friends, All in the family, Cheers, Seinfield, House.

Think about it.
since we did not have a forum on psychology I figured media would do.

I am pursuing this because these types of shows do not appeal to me and trying to figure out my abnormality.

Any ideas?

they might not appeal to you but they sure as hell do to everyone else......i watched Cheers and Seinfeld.....out of those.....

Lisa-Edelstein-Cuddy-House.jpeg

I like shows with some losers in them.
MASH, Tooltime, Andy Griffith, etc.
The ones that seem to be all losers I do not care for. Not sure why.
Married with children is another all loser show. Some funny parts but just could never get into it.

you want to see shows with losers......watch any reality show.....now why are they so popular should be the question....

Who is the loser if Kevin James earns $400K per episode of King of Queens ? Unbelieveable that one man can make that kind of money putting on a pseudo UPS shirt and knickers for tv.

I still watch Seinfeld reruns. Was watching one from the first season tonight . . . the characters developed so much for the better as the show went along. A show about nothing starring whiny losers. :lol: I bet they're still in the vault!

Dr. Crane is the psychiatrist, Kelsey Grammar is the actor; try watching Seinfeld when the soup kitchen guy is on...now that is funny..."no soup for you"

What I would like to know is how is loser being defined in this discussion? An intact multi-decade marriage like "Married With Children", becoming an MD despite handicaps: "House" or what else constitutes losing? Enlighten us!

Think about it.

I am pursuing this because these types of shows do not appeal to me and trying to figure out my abnormality.

Any ideas?

Simple ~ It's called Propaganda & the Dumbing Down of America

Last edited:
I loved Cheers. Haven't seen that in a long time. I recorded a bunch of House epis earlier this evening. Hugh Laurie is so good in that role.

What kind of tv do you watch Cit?

What I would like to know is how is loser being defined in this discussion? An intact multi-decade marriage like "Married With Children", becoming an MD despite handicaps: "House" or what else constitutes losing? Enlighten us!

Absolutely, we need to know how loser is being defined. House, a show about a bunch of seemingly successful doctors....Cheers, where one of the main characters if a former baseball player who owns his own business....what are we saying is a loser?

BTW, I love House! Great show :)

Absolutely, we need to know how loser is being defined. House, a show about a bunch of seemingly successful doctors....Cheers, where one of the main characters if a former baseball player who owns his own business....what are we saying is a loser?

BTW, I love House! Great show :)
Me I can't stand either show but so what? Even Siskel and Ebert couldn't agree on what made a great comedy and often their top ten list did not have a single comedy in common. There is a huge debate on whether "MacBeth" or "Hamlet" is the greatest of Shakespeare's dramas. Live and let live along with MYOB is usually the right policy.

Think about it.

Any ideas?

Seinfeld was well written and very funny. That one was popular because the characters were funny. I never have watched your other examples.

When I saw your post, I thought you were referring to reality shows like Hoarders, and shows like Judge Judy, who have mainly have losers on them.

Think about it.

Any ideas?

Seinfeld was well written and very funny. That one was popular because the characters were funny. I never have watched your other examples.

When I saw your post, I thought you were referring to reality shows like Hoarders, and shows like Judge Judy, who have mainly have losers on them.

Seinfeld characters were pretty much losers though. It was a dark comedy, nobody would want to be those people. Same with Cheers and House. I'm thinking that's what he means.

It's very simple, people that define themselves as progressives are devoid of a sense of humor. They feel that it's beneath their attempts to be intellectuals. It's a pity really and ironic when you consider what amazing losers they elect to office based solely on what college they supposedly attended. I mean really, Robert Byrd?? Ted Kennedy?????? Barney Franks????????!!!?? Nancy Pelosi??????? Joe Biden??????!!!! John Kerry? AlGore? Hillary Fucking Clinton!!!??? Barack Hussein Obama!!!!They are all extremely hilarious without trying to be and the list goes on and on. These are the best you progressive have?

Think about it.

Any ideas?

Losers?

Consider that these people never appear to work (or have jobs that are barely minimum wage in many cases) yet they have apartments in Manhattan that seriously would cost staggering sums of cash to rent.

Their personal foibles are amusing. But those shows bear no relation to reality because losers do NOT live in places like they live, they do NOT have lifestyles like these people typically have, either.

So... are they losers or merely amusing characters?

Last edited:
It's very simple, people that define themselves as progressives are devoid of a sense of humor. They feel that it's beneath their attempts to be intellectuals. It's a pity really and ironic when you consider what amazing losers they elect to office based solely on what college they supposedly attended. I mean really, Robert Byrd?? Ted Kennedy?????? Barney Franks????????!!!?? Nancy Pelosi??????? Joe Biden??????!!!! John Kerry? AlGore? Hillary Fucking Clinton!!!??? Barack Hussein Obama!!!!They are all extremely hilarious without trying to be and the list goes on and on. These are the best you progressive have?

What a ridiculous and farfetched post. You are grasping at straws to somehow make this partisan and blame liberals.

Forum List

Back