Why are older generations better at creating sci fi?

JakeWIlls92

Gold Member
Apr 6, 2014
"Mass Effect Andromeda" was supposed to be the biggest sci fi game of 2017 and possibly the biggest sci fi game of the 2010s.

Instead it was panned widely by gamers and critics as bland and uninspired.

It should have been more like BSG or The Expanse than a goofy CW show.
https://www.thegamer.com/mass-effect-andromeda-feeling-like-cw-show-was-intentional/

The characters were more like cringe worthy left wing college social justice warriors than serious soldiers and scientists.

"The Expanse" was also created by liberal sci fi creators but unlike the young college students who worked on Andromeda James S.A. Corey were die hard sci fi fans from an older generation and also unlike Andromeda, The Expanse was a serious adult sci fi tale with very serious characters.

Both the original Mass Effect trilogy and Battlestar Galactica reboot were very serious sci fi tales.

Now this is what Andromeda should have been.

Why are older sci fi creators even if they are liberal better at creating sci fi than the college aged hipster crowd?

Last edited:
"Mass Effect Andromeda" was supposed to be the biggest sci fi game of 2017 and possibly the biggest sci fi game of the 2010s.

https://www.thegamer.com/mass-effect-andromeda-feeling-like-cw-show-was-intentional/

The characters were more like cringe worthy left wing college social justice warriors than serious soldiers and scientists.

"The Expanse" was also created by liberal sci fi creators but unlike the young college students who worked on Andromeda James S.A. Corey were die hard sci fi fans from an older generation and also unlike Andromeda, The Expanse was a serious adult sci fi tale with very serious characters.

Both the original Mass Effect trilogy and Battlestar Galactica reboot were very serious sci fi tales.

Why are older sci fi creators even if they are liberal better at creating sci fi than the college aged hipster crowd?

They were talented and imaginative. Today's writers are all about social justice. There need not be a story. Nowhere is this more glaring than the writings of Stephen King. The brilliant mind that gave us The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot, has been reduced to imbecilic gobbledygook arguing for social justice nonsense.

Because younger generations have seen what the older generation have produced. They figure most has been done so they try to come up with something original.
Most times are misses. And then, you get your occasional "The Expanse". First good Sci-Fi series in decades (IMO).

I don't think the rebooted Battlestar was great. It had its moments when they were slugging it out but then they would go down the rabbit hole of the 1,000 different Boomers, the President's Woe Be Me of the day, or the whole psychedelic Gaius Balter altered reality right in the middle of it and screw the whole episode up.

Twilight Zone with Rod Serling often played with the supernatural and sci-fi and I enjoyed their simple premises with important morrows.

I don't think the rebooted Battlestar was great. It had its moments when they were slugging it out but then they would go down the rabbit hole of the 1,000 different Boomers, the President's Woe Be Me of the day, or the whole psychedelic Gaius Balter altered reality right in the middle of it and screw the whole episode up.
All those "rabbit holes" were resolved as part of the overall story arc. I found the ending a little convenient but consistent in the BG universe. Overall I put it in the top 10 of all SciFi television shows.

I take it you prefer narrower story arcs with fewer branches and more focus on the main events. It's good if you've a long story to tell but it does naturally limit the length of the series. Thus the wide branches help extend the episodic length and allow for deeper exploration of the characters.

But to each his own.

Forum List

Back