Why are guns so important to Americans?

I have really no problem with someone hunting. I state the extreme of my position. I think that something does need to be done to curb violence in the streets. But with so many people worried about gun control it is hard to make it happen.

How do you collect guns from criminals?

Hmm, I was interested so I checked, and it turns out the constitution doesn’t give individuals the right to carry guns. It’s a common misconception though.

What do you think "bear arms" means then?

Straight from Webster's:

Main Entry: bear
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): bore \ˈbȯr\; borne also born \ˈbȯrn\; bear·ing
Etymology: Middle English beren to carry, bring forth, from Old English beran; akin to Old High German beran to carry, Latin ferre, Greek pherein
Date: before 12th century

Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

I guess you better check again junior.

Last edited:
How do you collect guns from criminals?

By arresting them if they are caught with guns.

This is what the Japanese do, and they have very few gun deaths.

Tough sentencing is what deters crime. Not guns.

There are no theives in Saudi Arabia.

The Japanese can afford strict gun laws for the same reason that the British could afford to ban them several decades ago: their crime rate is already low, for whatever other undetermined reasons. It's not politically correct to say it, but culture has the biggest effect on crime, bigger than guns or laws or whatever.

On the other hand I could point out that Switzerland has lots of gun ownership, and is one of the most peaceful places on earth. What few violent crimes they experience, are done by immigrants usually. But again, culture. Being shamed and ostracized by your peers is a powerful motivator. Shame and guilt are not PC emotions though.

Also I should point out that even if you could confiscate and melt down all firearms, it would not be terribly difficult for a machinist to fabricate new ones. Seriously, all it would take would be a gangster with some spare cash, a spare garage, a mill and a lathe, some blueprints and a machinist. You could probably get started for well under $10k.

Last edited:

We do take guns from criminals when they are arrested. Usually after commiting a violent gun crime against an unarmed citizen. So I modify my question, how do take guns from criminals before they use them?

You're an idiot.

They're already useful...see what an idiot you are?

You think that because you're an idiot. They are looking at you like you're an idiot, not like you're crazy.

Not at all--you could be a perfectly sane idiot.

When your idiot bretheren, with idiot ideas about excercising their idiot will over me or my family by force, or the threat of force, will meet an idiot's demise at the end of one of my guns.

You're an idiot and an ignorant ass.

They take an oath to do their job, but they can quit at moment and walk off the job.

You know, I've never thought of that. But where I am a cop can't quit without the permission of the Commissioner of Police (14 days notice minimum) and until that's given on application the cop is still a cop and if he or she shirks their duty then they commit a criminal offence.

We do take guns from criminals when they are arrested. Usually after commiting a violent gun crime against an unarmed citizen. So I modify my question, how do take guns from criminals before they use them?

Because they're not criminals until they commit a crime with a weapon there's no reason to take their firearms if they're in lawful possession of them. Of course if they're pinched for a conspiracy the firearms can be seized as evidence of the conspiracy but that's an ancillary issue. I need to add that conspiracy is a crime but it's usually called an inchoate crime so while the firearms weren't used they are still evidence.

Because they're not criminals until they commit a crime with a weapon there's no reason to take their firearms if they're in lawful possession of them. Of course if they're pinched for a conspiracy the firearms can be seized as evidence of the conspiracy but that's an ancillary issue. I need to add that conspiracy is a crime but it's usually called an inchoate crime so while the firearms weren't used they are still evidence.

No shit? I didn't know that(heavy sarcasm). The question is rhetorical. The idea is how do you prevent a criminal from being a criminal? Guns don't make people criminals, so therefore guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Last edited:
You're an idiot and an ignorant ass.
This may be true, but I'll never be so much of an idiot, nor so ignorant, to think that if I don't have guns, no-one else will misuse guns.

No shit? I didn't know that. The question is rhetorical. The idea is how do you prevent a criminal from being a criminal? Guns don't make people criminals, so therefore guns are not the problem. People are the problem. Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I thought it was rhetorical and given it was a rhetorical question it had to be answered so that anyone reading it who mightn't have realised that could see it was only for effect and not for real inquiry.

Crime prevention is a really interesting subject and people are working on it all the time and coming up with ideas that are tested and put into practice in order to try and prevent crime. One of the ideas that comes up now and again is gun control laws, laws which allow responsible gun ownership but insist on such things as proper storage, gun registration and licensing of individuals to ensure that weapons don't fall to easily into the hands of criminals that would use them in pursuit of crime. It's good to make crooks go underground to get their weapons and not to easily steal them from law abiding gun owners.

Right....because our government is infallible......and right.....every gunowner would run and hide from an oppressive government....and right....every gunowner is a nut job....and right we will all protect you.:cuckoo:

Our government "is" fallible....we would fight like we've done before.....we are normal people.....and no.....I'm sure you would be the last to be saved.

No, mecritan, not all guns owners, just GUN QUEERS LIKE YOU.

People obsessed with guns. People who take every opportunity to talk about guns, who make false claims about how important it is to our freedom that you have guns.

I have been around guns and hunters my whole life, sport.

I know the difference between somebody who merely owns a gun for a good reason, like home security or hunting, and gun queers.

People like you having a gun serves this society not a wit.

We can evolve into a police state and the gun queers won't do a damned thing about it, because most of you are basically not heroic men, but cowards who cling to your guns because something in your natures are lacking.

I don't give a crap if you have guns, sport, I'm just not buying into you delusional theory that you guns are all that stands between my society and a police state.

No, it's not.

Making lists of gun owners, and the guns they have, makes it EASIER for thieves to steal guns.

In a community with a high gun ownership the chances of a random break on a house turning up firearms to be stolen are greater that a thief will find a weapon. But if the weapons are stored in a secure manner then it might be that the chances of a thief actually getting the firearms is lowered. It's sensible then to ensure that gun owners are required to lock away their weapons securely to avoid giving crooks an easy supply of firearms.

The idea that lists of gun owners make it easier for thieves to steal guns is ridiculous. If a community has a high gun ownership concentration then who cares about lists? Just keep doing busts until you find what you want :lol:

It's a good idea to make sure that responsible gun owners make sure their weapons are secured against theft.

No, mecritan, not all guns owners, just GUN QUEERS LIKE YOU.

People obsessed with guns. People who take every opportunity to talk about guns, who make false claims about how important it is to our freedom that you have guns.

I have been around guns and hunters my whole life, sport.

I know the difference between somebody who merely owns a gun for a good reason, like home security or hunting, and gun queers.

People like you having a gun serves this society not a wit.

We can evolve into a police state and the gun queers won't do a damned thing about it, because most of you are basically not heroic men, but cowards who cling to your guns because something in your natures are lacking.

I don't give a crap if you have guns, sport, I'm just not buying into you delusional theory that you guns are all that stands between my society and a police state.

:eusa_clap::eusa_clap:for the name calling once again.....

Because I argue the point that an "armed society" is what keeps us from being subjects...makes me insane...obsessed..."queer" for guns...and whatever broad label you have....fine.....your opinion from your keyboard.

Yes...I very much like firearms as a hobby and sport...collecting them....training with them...learning about them....and defending a citizens rights to them. I also work 60 hr work weeks....I have time to go fishing with my son....play with my daughter....watch movies with the wife....trips with the family..... PTA meetings...playing catch...camping...etc and all the other things a normal family does....If this is what a "gun queer" is.....then so be it.

I put aside my conspiratorial ways and took my son to his first Concert last night as a matter of fact......unarmed of course.:D

I just don't have enough time to start building my compound yet , and enlisting the services of other "gun queers" to form my army of cowards.....maybe when the kids are out of school....I can get the project started.:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
What do you think "bear arms" means then?

I think it means this

beararms.jpg

Forum List

Back